• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Top Epic App Store BETRAYALS!!!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:41 pm Reply with quote
yeah, the whole Epic vs Apple and Google thing is pretty scummy and really just comes off like a battle of horrible people.

Onto brighter news, the Indie World Showcase earlier this week had some neat stuff. A lot of friends of mine have gotten Raji (Prince of Persia but Indian and even done by an Indian dev team) and Spiritfarer is nice twist on the "combat-free art game." Glad Subnautica is coming to Switch with a release window for Below Zero as Subnautica is probably the best survival game in recent memory due to its unique setting
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, we did get Fortnite's version of 1984, which was pretty nice.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Epic is by no means the paragon it pretends to be here. They deliberately provoked Apple and Google to take action due to Epic's intentional infraction of the terms of using their stores to create grounds to sue. You can't tell me Epic didn't intend for little developers that just happen to use Unreal to get roped into it. It fits with their narrative that Epic is helping the little guy, even though it primarily helps them. Epic doesn't care if there are others that get caught in the fray as long as it works for them. They've spent a rather significant amount of money keeping games away from Steam while claiming it's good for developers, even though it's not what customers want. It's hard to take Epic seriously right now when they do that.

Epic's video that they put into Fortnite is also pretty suspicious. Coming into this prepared with some propaganda to show its customers makes me think they are hedging their bets that suing won't work but they might be able to get customers to push Apple and Google for them. It feels a lot like what I've seen happen when a television network and cable provider can't agree on fees. The network runs ads saying that the cable company is trying to take away your favorite channels. The cable company runs a ticker saying the network is trying to charge more. Of course, the end result is that eventually the channels come back and the customer's bill goes up. These fights between companies don't tend to work out for the customer.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I was pissed when I played the real-life gacha machines at Granblue Fes only to find out I couldn't redeem the codes because I play on iOS

Hope you redeemed the codes on PC at least..
Triltaison

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Man, I sure did love those '90s Sakura Wars OVAs a bunch. Even have them on both VHS and DVD. I so desperately wanted to play the games and was so disappointed that they never came out for us in English. So, little teen me from 20 years ago is excited to see one come out in English finally. I really do hope it'll spur some of the old games coming out, too.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:20 pm Reply with quote
How much of Fortnite's audience would even recognize that ad? I'm significantly older than their average player, and that ad is still significantly older than me. (I only know what it is because I got shown it once in school.)

Either way, it would be nice if all the business people concerned could take a leaf from Albert Wesker's book and fall into an active volcano.
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:58 pm Reply with quote
after taking two rockets to the face
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:44 pm Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
How much of Fortnite's audience would even recognize that ad? I'm significantly older than their average player, and that ad is still significantly older than me. (I only know what it is because I got shown it once in school.)

It doesn't really matter. By aping Apple's ad so clearly, it's guaranteed that any press that picks up this story is going to include the information that it's aping the former ad, and you might spark wider airing of Epic's point of view. It's similar to the daisy ad, which is considered to be one of the most effective political ads in history, despite being shown exactly once, simply because it caused so much discussion in the talk shows and the like.

Last edited by Pidgeot18 on Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
They've spent a rather significant amount of money keeping games away from Steam while claiming it's good for developers, even though it's not what customers want.

Is it? cause from what I remember the Epic v. Steam thing is split, between people whining about Epic being shitty and people who are okay with this and think the people in the former camp are being whiny.

And of course falls into the same pit as this current spat i.e. of bunch of corporate entities being greedy and selfish.
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:35 am Reply with quote
I have been getting into games done quick since a year ago or so. I have the same problem that most shows I want to watch are on timeslots where I'm busy or sleeping. They got a lot faster with putting them on YouTube tho. So we can watch them with only a day or so delay.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:19 am Reply with quote
Ya guys have been missing out on all the fireworks the last few weeks - everybody's been fighting everybody, mostly Apple Laughing

Google forced OnePlus to decimate a Fortnite launcher deal, claims Epic Games - With OnePlus, Epic claims that Google “forced OnePlus to renege on the deal” after Google expressed ‘concern’ about Epic’s ability to bypass the Play Store. Epic also alleges that the original deal between Epic and OnePlus would have made the launcher available worldwide, but Google “demanded that OnePlus not implement its agreement with Epic with the limited exception of mobile devices sold in India.”

Xbox Project xCloud for iOS in deadlock, as testing comes to a halt - With Microsoft's Project xCloud game streaming service at odds with Apple's restrictive App Store policies, testing has wound down after 90 days without updates.

Apple confirms cloud gaming services like xCloud and Stadia violate App Store guidelines - Apple confirms cloud gaming services like xCloud and Stadia violate App Store guidelines. New cloud gaming services from Google and Microsoft won’t work on iOS

Facebook slams Apple’s App Store policies, launches Facebook Gaming on iOS without games - Facebook is joining Microsoft in condemning Apple’s App Store policies today. The social media company is launching its Facebook Gaming app for iOS — primarily an app used to watch streamers play video games — but has had to remove the app’s mini games feature to pass Apple’s strict App Store approval process. Facebook isn’t happy about the compromise. "Unfortunately, we had to remove gameplay functionality entirely in order to get Apple’s approval on the standalone Facebook Gaming app - meaning iOS users have an inferior experience to those using Android... This is shared pain across the games industry, which ultimately hurts players and devs and severely hamstrings innovation on mobile for other types of formats, like cloud gaming.” -- Facebook spokemen

Apple responds to Xbox Project xCloud iOS block, Microsoft kicks back - With Microsoft's Project xCloud streaming platform locked out from iOS devices, Apple doubles down on App Store restrictions. "Our customers enjoy great apps and games from millions of developers, and gaming services can absolutely launch on the App Store as long as they follow the same set of guidelines applicable to all developers, including submitting games individually for review, and appearing in charts and search," Apple states.

Microsoft slams Apple over unfair App Store policy as antitrust looms large - Microsoft and Apple go head-to-head, with the companies at a stalemate over its Project xCloud game streaming platform. "Our testing period for the Project xCloud preview app for iOS has expired. Unfortunately, we do not have a path to bring our vision of cloud gaming with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate to gamers on iOS via the Apple App Store. Apple stands alone as the only general purpose platform to deny consumers from cloud gaming and game subscription services like Xbox Game Pass. And it consistently treats gaming apps differently, applying more lenient rules to non-gaming apps even when they include interactive content. All games available in the Xbox Game Pass catalog are rated for content by independent industry ratings bodies such as the ESRB and regional equivalents. We are committed to finding a path to bring cloud gaming with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate to the iOS platform." -- Microsoft spokesperson.

Change.org petition asks Apple to allow Project xCloud on iOS - Right now, the game streaming service Shadow is already available on iOS, but since it emulates an entire PC, it's allowed as a virtual desktop.

Major news publishers ask Apple what can get them an App Store deal like Amazon’s - Major US news publishers have joined the list of companies and app developers criticizing Apple’s App Store terms as unfair and potentially anti-competitive. The digital media trade association Digital Content Next sent a letter to Apple CEO Tim Cook on Thursday. The letter asks the Apple chief executive what would be necessary to negotiate a deal similar to the one it granted Amazon in 2016 for its Prime video app... That deal, revealed as part of a House antirust hearing that brought Cook and other major tech executives to Capitol Hill to testify late last month, granted Amazon a more generous 85-15 percent revenue share with Apple for in-app subscriptions of Prime Video.
Nate148

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:16 am Reply with quote
Big money smell blood in the water.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1