• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Syrup GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:19 pm Reply with quote
The review more or less details exactly why I am hesitant to get these anthology type volumes. It's the lack of depth and build up. Far too often the stories feel rushed or disjointed. Which really can't be helped in many cases given their length. They're short little vignettes, not full stories. Not even novella length really. There's no time to build up the suspense or longing the characters might have for each other. I find it hard to be invested in those MC's as a couple when I haven't seen 95% of their journey to become a couple. Just the last 5% when they decide to do so. If the entire "pursuit" is in the short story then it's even worse for me because it again simply feels rushed.

I find the stories that work best in these anthologies are the ones where the MC's are already a couple. You can bypass that whole will they/won't they aspect and just get a story of them as a couple already. You might not be getting that pursuit and buildup by diving right in, but I would prefer that over some very rushed version of it. It's easier to think of them as an established couple and this story is just a little sample of their life. Whether they are long standing couples or new.

I checked out one of the Eclair volumes (forget which one off the top of my head) and it was a solid...meh. It was fine for what it was. Not that great, but not horrible by any stretch. I'd just prefer either a more full length story, or an anthology that focuses on those short stories where the MC's already are a couple.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this wasn’t a patch on the last couple of North American Eclair releases. It’s weird how the storytelling was so abrupt in so many stories, almost like it was a theme.

No surprise here but I agree with your picks for the best stories - the cat one in particular was one of my favorites.

I’ll be surprised if that Fly story is bettered any time soon Smile. Their cover was my favorite part of the whole volume.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:29 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I checked out one of the Eclair volumes (forget which one off the top of my head) and it was a solid...meh. It was fine for what it was. Not that great, but not horrible by any stretch. I'd just prefer either a more full length story, or an anthology that focuses on those short stories where the MC's already are a couple.

I got the first(?) Eclair volume, liked the first story (by Bloom Into You's author), but couldn't find anything notable past that. Many just seemed fetishistic, maybe another side effect of being compressed to only 15 pages or so. It kinda killed my interest in yuri anthologies. I guess the real purpose of these collections is to promote authors you haven't heard of, but when the only good one is from somebody every genre fan already knows about... it almost has the opposite effect.

It's possible to write a good romance story in a short amount of space, but it seems like it's easier to find that sort of thing on Tumblr than in a published book.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:12 am Reply with quote
Eclair Bleue is not very good, but subsequent volumes were much, much better. Blanc is one of the best yuri anthologies I’ve read and probably THE best, come to that.

Most of these anthologies do tend to mediocrity (at best) rather than greatness, but Eclair Blanc is worth it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1