• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Hard Drop

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo: Funny how they can just drop these outta nowhere. The SaGa Collection seems neat and Taiko no Tatsujin sounds fun as well as Puyo Puyo. As for a new Switch model, I'm reticent; people have been stamping their feet for one since the thing came out because apparently they can't comprehend Nintendo not being interested in brute force. Also, considering the PS4 Pro and its Xbox counterpart proved to be placebos (guess what, devs are gonna have to develop for the weaker iterations anyway!) it really comes off like tech junkies suffering hardware withdrawal.

Lab Zero: Yeah, looks like Zaimont career is done with the ENTIRETY of Lab Zero leaving. Some people were also wondering about Ahad and one of the resignees confirmed Ahad was also a poisonous individual like Zaimont.

Development on Skullgirls will continue though, just not with Zaimont. Been a bit of a ride
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I mean, yeah, a lot of us know that the games released here as Final Fantasy Legend on the Game Boy were, in fact, the first SaGa series games… but surely there's a better way to convey that to consumers, right? I'd go with SaGa Origins: The Final Fantasy Legends or something like that. It's descriptive, has at least two game title buzzwords, and no weird caps lock!

It's easy to see that Square-Enix is just trying to maintain some sort of brand continuity with Collection of Mana, but since all three the original SaGa games had the Final Fantasy branding back in the day, compared to just Seiken Densetu 1 for Mana, they also wanted to address the original localized names.

Also, it allows for the potential for a second collection to have the redundant title of "Collection of SaGa: SaGa Frontier"!

Quote:
Unfortunately, the collection does not seem to include the two Japan-only DS remakes of SaGa 2 and 3, which I've wanted to play for quite some time.

Don't go forgetting the WonderSwan Color remake of SaGa 1, which also isn't included. Still, at this point, the SaGa Series has been getting remakes & remasters in direct production order, so it would only make sense that this collection is to potentially create hype & interest in what would (theoretically) be the next SaGa remake: SaGa Frontier. Considering how unfinished Frontier 1 was, it'd easily be the SaGa game in most need of a complete remake, if only to actually have it be "complete", for once.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Does the thought of buying another Switch model get you excited, or would you just stick with your current system?

I had considered getting a Switch or Switch mini, to play through some visual novels on the go, and play locally-networked Splatoon 2 or Club House Games with my kid. But, of course, the damn thing is impossible to find lately. So, if there is a Pro version coming, that’s one more reason to wait. Who knows, maybe they’ll even fix the Joy-Con drift in the new hardware.
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite excited for a Monsterworld IV remake. Judging by the article, it's gonna be a straight remake of the original Monsterworld IV, and not a complete reimagining a la Cursed Sorcerer?
Triltaison

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... if they were to do a new Switch version, I mostly just want the Joycon drift fixed and for the screen brick middle section to be a little lighter. It's just heavy enough that it grates on my wrists after a while in handheld. I thought I was imagining it until I swapped back to my 3DS for a bit and it felt like I was holding air in comparison. Those are probably things on the table anyway as general improvements, so I might be tempted by a redesign.

The Taiko game looks really cute. I haven't done any of its console/handheld ports before (just the arcade), but I might need to get that.

I'm gonna keep hoping they'll announce Monster Rancher for the West, too. I was really excited that we might get it, but now the second one has been announced for Japan and I'm starting to lose hope that the first one will come. *crosses fingers*
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:58 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Nintendo: Funny how they can just drop these outta nowhere. The SaGa Collection seems neat and Taiko no Tatsujin sounds fun as well as Puyo Puyo. As for a new Switch model, I'm reticent; people have been stamping their feet for one since the thing came out because apparently they can't comprehend Nintendo not being interested in brute force. Also, considering the PS4 Pro and its Xbox counterpart proved to be placebos (guess what, devs are gonna have to develop for the weaker iterations anyway!) it really comes off like tech junkies suffering hardware withdrawal.

I don't think that's entirely entirely fair. Plenty of games did take advantage of the Pro hardware. Although I'm not sure how much of a boost people were expecting. But a new Switch? I'll wait and see. From what I remember only a few games came out that utilized the New Nintendo 3DS. And they were just ports of console games: Xenoblade and Fire Emblem Warriors. If they release an update that makes Breath of the Wild 1 and 2 better, then sure, why not.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:31 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

I don't think that's entirely entirely fair. Plenty of games did take advantage of the Pro hardware. Although I'm not sure how much of a boost people were expecting. But a new Switch? I'll wait and see. From what I remember only a few games came out that utilized the New Nintendo 3DS. And they were just ports of console games: Xenoblade and Fire Emblem Warriors. If they release an update that makes Breath of the Wild 1 and 2 better, then sure, why not.

What people want is a Switch that has current-gen specs that can run games like a PS4 would... and Nintendo isn't gonna make that. The Switch is priced to move, adding cutting-edge specs like that would make it way too expensive. And for what? The Switch can barely stay on shelves as it is, stocking/production notwithstanding. The people who gripe about Switches aren't Nintendo's audience, and the people buying Switches mostly don't care that MK11 isn't as smooth on the Switch as it is on a PC. They care that they can play MK11 anywhere they want.

I can see a new Switch model having slightly-better processors for improved load times and maybe 4k compatibility. I don't see the Switch getting the kind of "Pro" boost people want it to have where Doom will run at 60fps, even when undocked (then again, these people don't play undocked).

Why people think Nintendo cares about following other companies in their attempts is beyond me. Animal Crossing sold 22 million units, that's where Nintendo wants to put their efforts.

I'm also heartbroken about Lab Zero, seeing as I know how much those artists bled for those games. I also heard the comments on Alex Ahad having been fired for hostility; I met him at Kumoricon last year and it's sad to hear the guy was such a pain to work with. His aesthetic got me passionate about writing and creating characters. I hope the Lab Zero artists land on their feet.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:54 pm Reply with quote
- Monster World: this was a pleasant surprise, I played a lot of the original Wonder Boy at the arcades and a bit of the sequels that came for the Genesis, and I think MWIV had the most personality of tall of the sequels, so I'm glad that the original team is working in a remake. Now, if Konami could do something about Adventure Island that's not a pachislot machine...
- Mini Direct: there wasn't anything that caught my attention, but at least Nintendo is showing something, at least Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 looks fun.
- Switch Pro: I scoffed at previous rumors but now that we're approaching a new generation of consoles it's possible that Nintendo is planning to extend the life of the Switch. I guess a theoretical Switch Pro would be more like a Game Boy Color, most of the games will still be made with the original console in mind but there will be some exclusive games for the more powerful hardware.
- Lab Zero: I'm not very familiar with Lab Zero but it seemed that they put a lot of effort into their games and had a very close relationship with their fans and created some cult hits, but some months I hear the news about Mike making inappropriate jokes in a stream and many other incidents regarding him. At least it seems that their biggest titles, Skullgirls and Indivisible, aren't owned by them so at least a new team can continue working on them if possible.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Really excited to hear about Monster World. I'd love to be able to replay it without messing with cables to hook up my PS3 again.

I'd buy a new Switch model if it would improve framerates. I know it won't be hitting 60 on any big cross-platform titles, but a consistent, smooth 30 on pretty much everything would be nice. Load times aren't a huge issue for me outside of a couple games, so any reduction in those would have to be dramatic to impress me.
I'd love a controller with a better D pad that doesn't constantly spit out ghost inputs like the pro controller's does, but I doubt I'd be willing to buy another controller that expensive in hope of getting one.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:50 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:

What people want is a Switch that has current-gen specs that can run games like a PS4 would... and Nintendo isn't gonna make that. The Switch is priced to move, adding cutting-edge specs like that would make it way too expensive. And for what? The Switch can barely stay on shelves as it is, stocking/production notwithstanding. The people who gripe about Switches aren't Nintendo's audience, and the people buying Switches mostly don't care that MK11 isn't as smooth on the Switch as it is on a PC. They care that they can play MK11 anywhere they want.

I can see a new Switch model having slightly-better processors for improved load times and maybe 4k compatibility. I don't see the Switch getting the kind of "Pro" boost people want it to have where Doom will run at 60fps, even when undocked (then again, these people don't play undocked).

Why people think Nintendo cares about following other companies in their attempts is beyond me. Animal Crossing sold 22 million units, that's where Nintendo wants to put their efforts.

Yeah, it really just comes off as the hardware addicts demanding a new release like people who think they need a new iPhone model every six months. They're the kinds of people who are never going to buy Nintendo games and they're never going to play them because they insist on pushing that stupid obsession with power that's been proven wrong since the NES era instead of talking about design, narrative, character, or anything else pertaining to actual creative aspects. And considering the games would have to be designed for the weaker iterations of hardware anyway (as is the NORM in development) a "Pro " variant would just be a placebo. And considering the Switch's momentum hasn't been slowed at all they're clearly in no rush. They can wait until 2022 to talk about new hardware
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:02 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I had considered getting a Switch or Switch mini, to play through some visual novels on the go, and play locally-networked Splatoon 2 or Club House Games with my kid. But, of course, the damn thing is impossible to find lately.

Plenty of stock for the Switch from retailers over here, but they're priced at nearly $400, way above MSRP. Might be able to get a discounted price on the upcoming 9/9 sales on Lazada and Shopee, though.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:10 am Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
The Switch is priced to move, adding cutting-edge specs like that would make it way too expensive.

But not too expensive to where people can't actually buy it. I mean people kind of forget that Nintendo has dropped pricey hardware before.

FinalVentCard wrote:
They care that they can play MK11 anywhere they want.

Which begs the question if true why gen one Switches have docks that enable the system to be played off a TV.

[quote="FinalVentCard"] I don't see the Switch getting the kind of "Pro" boost people want it to have where Doom will run at 60fps,

I mean the major problem with Doom isn't framerate from what I recall but the way in which the game had to be installed.

FinalVentCard wrote:

Why people think Nintendo cares about following other companies in their attempts is beyond me.

You're acting as if they haven't followed with other companies have done hence how we nearly got the Nintendo Playstation and later the Gamecube.
Wooga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:04 pm Reply with quote
the trailer is out and it looks bad .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMfClgUrVTI
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
the trailer is out and it looks bad .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMfClgUrVTI

Yeah, that footage seemed a bit rough and I'd definitely rather just play the original Monster World IV. Good sprite work will always trump clunky 3D graphics. It's even on the Sega Genesis Mini so it's even available legally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1