• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul Film Gets More In-Theater, Virtual Screenings in N. Ameri

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Honestly want to watch this very badly, but I can't with a conscious support Sentai here. They had screenings last month in theaters that took basically ZERO measures against COVID in the 3 worst states. They lost all my respect by holding such a careless screening. I'd rather pay premium to import than support a company that apparently doesn't care about their customers.

edit: WTH. It's $20 to begin with!! That's an entire $10 more than what an in-person theatrical screening costs, without the great audio or visual. lol wut
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
edit: WTH. It's $20 to begin with!! That's an entire $10 more than what an in-person theatrical screening costs, without the great audio or visual. lol wut

I think the reasoning is that it's cheaper than buying two tickets plus popcorn or candy and drinks and then going out to a restaurant but I see movies alone and usually eat at home before I see the film and I tie it in with grocery shopping trips that I was going to make anyway and I often see movies on cheap Tuesday or at the second run cinema, so most "virtual screenings" are certainly not cheaper than seeing a movie in person for me.

If I'm going to pay double digits without the big screen experience (my 26" television is small by modern standards), I'd rather just wait a couple of months and get the movie on physical media.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
J0HN_L0CKE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:04 pm Reply with quote
$20 to stream "Current" movies is the going rate (or worse if you're Mulan). Now this is a slightly different case, but it's not *relatively* expensive. I'll be doing a virtual screening (and I'll get the Blu-ray when that comes out too). I had tickets for the April showing back when the world was normal and was quite disappointed when they obviously couldn't happen. Can't wait to see this.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:10 am Reply with quote
I'm not going to theaters during a pandemic, and I'm definitely not paying $20 for a virtual screening. I'd rather wait until it goes to HiDive. The first 2 movies are up there.
TD912

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:25 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Honestly want to watch this very badly, but I can't with a conscious support Sentai here. They had screenings last month in theaters that took basically ZERO measures against COVID in the 3 worst states. They lost all my respect by holding such a careless screening. I'd rather pay premium to import than support a company that apparently doesn't care about their customers.

Huh, where were the reports of theaters being careless? I saw a few Studio Movie Grill locations say they restricted seating to 30% max. The reservation pages showed seating was like over 90% empty. Is it really Sentai's fault here?

And it's $20 because you can have multiple people watching the same movie for one flat price.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:43 am Reply with quote
^ Yeah, theatre seating arrangements probably aren't Sentai's fault. I went to New Mutants last week at a Cineplex Odeon and basically only 25% of seats were available, in alternating pairs on each second row and the rows between empty, but your local theatre chain or independent theatre's COVID-19 protocol may vary.

Not that the diminished number of seats were a problem, I think there were only around 5 other people in the room.

Last edited by Tenchi on Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:30 am Reply with quote
What is a Virtual Screening? Pay Per View?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:56 am Reply with quote
v1cious I think "virtual screening" is meant to give it an aura of prestige like it's somewhere between pay-per-view and a proper theatrical screening but, yeah, it's just pay-per-view.

The Wikipedia page for "Virtual cinema" mentions that some of the money goes to support a physical theatre. Wikipedia uses the term "virtual cinema" to differentiate it from the term "virtual screening", which is apparently a term used in the pharmaceutical industry for computers being used to narrow down candidates from unfathomable amounts of possible chemical compounds to determine which ones are likely to bind to a drug target.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:53 am Reply with quote
J0HN_L0CKE wrote:
$20 to stream "Current" movies is the going rate (or worse if you're Mulan). Now this is a slightly different case, but it's not *relatively* expensive. I'll be doing a virtual screening (and I'll get the Blu-ray when that comes out too). I had tickets for the April showing back when the world was normal and was quite disappointed when they obviously couldn't happen. Can't wait to see this.

I was more than happy to pay $7 for a month of Disney+ to watch Hamilton and, less rewardingly, Frozen II. Disney wants $30 on top of that subscription price for Mulan? I probably won't watch the film because of the controversy surrounding the actress, but a price like that certainly makes up my mind.

Pricing something like Made in Abyss is problematic. It's likely the demand is highly inelastic being limited to anime fans who are aware of the property already. Cutting the price might not bring in a whole of additional viewers. This is the same reason why anime disc prices are so high in Japan.

And, at seventy, I'm not stepping foot into a movie theater any time in the months ahead.

Quote:
The film will also get virtual screenings for both the subtitled and dubbed versons, starting on September 18.

On what service(s)? For how long? That's only a couple of weeks away. Surely Sentai has to have locked down the streaming distribution of this film by now. If it's on HIDIVE, can I sign up for the free thirty-day subscription and just pay to watch Made in Abyss?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:23 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Quote:
The film will also get virtual screenings for both the subtitled and dubbed versons, starting on September 18.

On what service(s)? For how long? That's only a couple of weeks away. Surely Sentai has to have locked down the streaming distribution of this film by now. If it's on HIDIVE, can I sign up for the free thirty-day subscription and just pay to watch Made in Abyss?

It’s a pay per view thing. Here’s the site where you can get the tickets for the virtual screenings.
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:11 pm Reply with quote
looks like only some Marcus theaters have showings booked so far

https://www.madeinabyssmovies.com/showings.html

wish I had one around here, their red recliners are PLUSH
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:42 am Reply with quote
While $20 for one movie that I can watch for a week is pretty expensive compared to every monthly streaming service, $20 is still not very much money. I'd rather go see this in an actual theater, but it's still not safe to go to any crowded indoor areas, and I do want to support localization companies and local movie theaters since I know they're all struggling right now... so I'll probably go ahead and pay it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:09 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

Thanks! So it appears I must start watching it within the period from September 18-25. Makes me a little nervous about pre-ordering. If I don't watch it by the deadline, do I get a refund? The extra help information doesn't say either.

Nice to see they have a Roku app, which would be my preferred method. The alternative would be Chromecast.

Vanadise wrote:
While $20 for one movie that I can watch for a week

That's not entirely correct. You must watch the movie within twenty-four hours of the first time you start it. You have a seven-day window to begin watching, but only twenty-four hours after you begin.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I think this is fantastic news!
I have no interest in seeing this in theaters due to COVID, and I don't have any interest in the "virtual screening" either (especially not for $20! Yikes!)....but, this shows that the gears are turning and a physical release inches ever-closer.
I'll keep waiting until the BD comes out.
Sheenoobuu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:00 am Reply with quote
i was wondering why this hasn't happened earlier...then I remembered that just one person needs to screen capture the movie online for it to be available illegally...
oh well. guess this is the best choice when you're desperate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1