• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
'Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?' Anime's 3rd Season Premieres on October 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BonelessChicken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:44 am Reply with quote
I hope they don't animated the expedition's arc, so they can focus entirely on the Xenos' arc.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:23 am Reply with quote
BonelessChicken wrote:
I hope they don't animated the expedition's arc, so they can focus entirely on the Xenos' arc.

I doubt they will considering season 2 only covered 3 volumes as well.

Season 3 will most likely just cover the entire Xenos arc, Volume 9 - 11.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:19 am Reply with quote
The sad part is much of the content of the light novels gets left out of the anime rushing it to the point of breaking the story. They left out a lot of character development last season! This season will most likely leave much to the App game to voice and still image. That games a money pit with odds so bad it’s simply unplayable with tons of computer hacks. Poor programming and bad odds! Also I played it for three years.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:24 am Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
The sad part is much of the content of the light novels gets left out of the anime rushing it to the point of breaking the story. They left out a lot of character development last season! This season will most likely leave much to the App game to voice and still image. That games a money pit with odds so bad it’s simply unplayable with tons of computer hacks. Poor programming and bad odds! Also I played it for three years.

If you're just in it for the story content, then you only need 4 leveled characters to make it through.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:48 am Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
The sad part is much of the content of the light novels gets left out of the anime rushing it to the point of breaking the story. They left out a lot of character development last season!

Think you're overstating the case. Prior to novel 8, only one short story about Nazha and one short story about when Bell and Hestia first met were skipped over. Given how minimal her role is in the overall story, and how her story has no impact on anything else, Nazha's story was easily skippable, while the bulk of the details of the "first meeting" story have been provided in bits and pieces elsewhere, so no big loss there, either. I can't think of anything else of significance in the first seven novels that was skipped in terms of individual scenes. I will grant you that novel 8 did skip some short stories that provide big chunks of character development for Welf, Eina, Liliruca, and (to a lesser extent) Finn, but only the Lily/Finn story has even a slight connection to the main plot line, and that comes in more on the Sword Oratoria side of events.

Anyway, happy to see a date announced. Could being a season-started perhaps mean that it's getting 13 episodes instead of 12?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Anyway, happy to see a date announced. Could being a season-started perhaps mean that it's getting 13 episodes instead of 12?

Here's hoping. 13 eps did season 1 some good so I'm hoping for the same here
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Catseyetiger wrote:
The sad part is much of the content of the light novels gets left out of the anime rushing it to the point of breaking the story. They left out a lot of character development last season!

Think you're overstating the case. Prior to novel 8, only one short story about Nazha and one short story about when Bell and Hestia first met were skipped over. Given how minimal her role is in the overall story, and how her story has no impact on anything else, Nazha's story was easily skippable, while the bulk of the details of the "first meeting" story have been provided in bits and pieces elsewhere, so no big loss there, either. I can't think of anything else of significance in the first seven novels that was skipped in terms of individual scenes. I will grant you that novel 8 did skip some short stories that provide big chunks of character development for Welf, Eina, Liliruca, and (to a lesser extent) Finn, but only the Lily/Finn story has even a slight connection to the main plot line, and that comes in more on the Sword Oratoria side of events.

Agreed on everything there. I get so tired of light novel readers (of which I am one of them) complaining about the anime leaving stuff out of the novels. I saw S1 first, then got started on reading the light novels after, and I was thrilled to see more content in the books. That's what anime adaptations should be, and accessible entry point into the franchise as a whole. The books are better, sure, but the anime is doing a good job of turning it into something a wider audience can enjoy while possibly getting more people into the books.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Catseyetiger wrote:

they could have use the index/railgun model and have 24-25 eps in a season. that way most of the stuff in the light novels wont be skipped out! and you cant blame some people for being frustrated that some of the skipped parts are being used as leftovers for the gacha smartphone game (which i do play)

i mean the whole argonaut event could have easily have been used as an OVA special instead of those fanservice swimsuit eps but alas!

regardless, its definitwely gonna be a nail biter of an arc for anime only viewers considering that according to some LN viewers, this arc combined with the incident in vol 15 MIGHT have killed the bell/ais shipping! though i have no idea why!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Nice. I hope the season 2 premium set ships early in time for a rewatch!

Catseyetiger wrote:
This season will most likely leave much to the App game to voice and still image. That games a money pit with odds so bad it’s simply unplayable with tons of computer hacks. Poor programming and bad odds! Also I played it for three years.

It all comes down to RNG, but I've put $0 into the game (and on iOS, so no hacks) and have no issues with any of the story content (N, H & VH) on auto. Only thing I can't do are the max level things, like seventh zone (since you need a full team of each relevant element), EX content etc.

Personally I also find it pretty generous with it's gems compared to other games as well. If you're struggling try asking for help on the relevant sub reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/DanmachiMemoriaFreese/)

Key wrote:

I hope so, an extra episode of story content would be great to see.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:31 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
they could have use the index/railgun model and have 24-25 eps in a season. that way most of the stuff in the light novels wont be skipped out! and you cant blame some people for being frustrated that some of the skipped parts are being used as leftovers for the gacha smartphone game (which i do play)

Nothing is being skipped that is important to the main storyline, though. It's all side stuff. Even including that, not ever remotely close to enough was skipped to justify turning one of the 12-13 episode seasons into 24-25 episodes. Fujino Omori's writing isn't that dense, so the story would have dragged horribly. I could see maybe four episodes for the vignettes that got skipped in novel 8 (one each for Eina and Finn/Lily and maybe two for Welf), one for Nazha's story in an earlier volume, but that's about it. So yes, far less is being skipped than people seem to like to gripe about.

Quote:
i mean the whole argonaut event could have easily have been used as an OVA special instead of those fanservice swimsuit eps but alas!

Only if they were doing a 4-5 episode OVA. As much as you complain about needing more time so things won't be skipped, I can't believe you would honestly think that story could be told completely in even a double-length OVA episode.

I will agree, however, that I have been disappointed by the choice of topic for the two OVAs so far.

Quote:
regardless, its definitwely gonna be a nail biter of an arc for anime only viewers considering that according to some LN viewers, this arc combined with the incident in vol 15 MIGHT have killed the bell/ais shipping! though i have no idea why!

Novel 15 isn't due out in English until mid-November, so now I'm curious. What happens in this arc undoubtedly strains the Bell/Ais relationship, but volume 12 of Sword Oratoria puts a limiter on how severe that impact is.

Last edited by Key on Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I will agree, however, that I have been disappointed by the choice of topic for the two OVAs so far.

Yeah. Instead of opting for anime original content they could have used the OVAs to develop the other characters. At least for the second OVA it could cover one of the character development stories from vol 8. It would have made fans want more of that for the other characters too so it might make for good marketing.

Quote:
Novel 15 isn't due out in English until mid-November, so now I'm curious. What happens in this arc undoubtedly strains the Bell/Ais relationship, but volume 12 of Sword Oratoria puts a limiter on how severe that impact is.

Well about that. spoiler[Vol 15 is similar to vol 8 but its mostly a collection of special stories that were previously released in booklets as part of the BD vols from season 1 that were written by Omori. However it also shows the events post vol 14 so it also acts as a cool down vol and obviously it takes place before Sword Oratoria vol 12][/quote]
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:13 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Key wrote:

Yeah. Instead of opting for anime original content they could have used the OVAs to develop the other characters. At least for the second OVA it could cover one of the character development stories from vol 8. It would have made fans want more of that for the other characters too so it might make for good marketing.

Yeah, I don't mind the comedy/fan service OVAs, but I would prefer more real story content from the novels or to see the 2nd and/or 3rd anniversary content from the mobile game animated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1