• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Evangelion Theme 'Cruel Angel's Thesis' Tops Anisong General Election

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamijou Touma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:39 pm Reply with quote
3 Uchuu Senkan Yamato and 6 only my railgun are some of my favorites too.
catbot158

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Nice mix of oldies and new stuff. Isao Sasaki's two greatest songs are still at the top, which they absolutely deserve. Cruel Angel's Thesis was always gonna be at the top, though, because it is just amazingly composed.

Also for some reason, I never knew how popular the Railgun OP was in Japan until recently. That's impressive for a spinoff series.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Really really tired of Gurenge after everyone and their imouto did covers for it lol.

Overall a good list. the real winner is Haruhi for having 2 songs from the franchise in there

edit: noticed two mistakes

Quote:
Regardless, Yoko Takahata's song

Quote:
Takahata thanked fans on Twitter

Obviously those should say Takahashi lol
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:54 pm Reply with quote
In other news, water is wet.
hikura

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't surprise me.What surprised me is nothing from yokko kano or Do you remember love from macross not being on there.
Marzan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:11 am Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
Doesn't surprise me.What surprised me is nothing from yokko kano or Do you remember love from macross not being on there.

I’ve read somewhere else that Do You Remember Love is ranked 49. Not bad for a song that’s 35 years old.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:41 am Reply with quote
hikura wrote:

I'm not entirely surprised that Do You Remember Love? isn't on there. Most of the songs appear to be either opening or closing songs.

I figured that Uchu Senkan Yamato would be somewhere near the top and am happy to see it at number three. It's also one of the oldest songs in the list. It's a pretty epic song!

Probably my biggest surprise, was seeing the second opening song to Zeta Gundam, "Mizu no Hoshi e Ai wo Komete" come in at number 24. It's certainly my favorite of the opening songs in any Gundam series or movie!

One song that I'm sad to not see on this list is "Gatchaman no Uta".
Transformers03

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:26 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Probably my biggest surprise, was seeing the second opening song to Zeta Gundam, "Mizu no Hoshi e Ai wo Komete" come in at number 24. It's certainly my favorite of the opening songs in any Gundam series or movie!

I was too, though "Mizu no Hoshi e Ai wo Komete" was voted as the number 1 Gundam song in a mega poll conducted by the NHK two years ago (animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-05-06/nhk-reveals-full-results-of-ultimate-gundam-poll/.131228), so I guess it shouldn't be too shocking. The original singer also just released a new cover for the song last year (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBpcxICf-xU), so it was still probably in the Japanese's public's conscience. Having just watched Zeta, I'm so happy to see this song on this list, I think its an awesome 80s love track.

Glad to also see personal favorites like "Butter-Fly", "only my railgun", "Inferno", "Guren no Yumiya", and, of course, the good old "CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA". With that said, incredibly disappointed that the original Saint Seiya opening didn't crack the top 30, that song is so iconic to me.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:54 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Really really tired of Gurenge after everyone and their imouto did covers for it lol.

I mean, you could say the same thing about Cruel Angel's Thesis. Not that I'm complaining Razz
^__^v

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:17 am Reply with quote
hikura wrote:

The TV Asahi's "Anisong General Election 2020" broadcasted the top 100 songs, but new sites including this one reported only the top 30. According to Conanlover (full list) and
Twitter sources such as gabarennto and RiderArisa two Macross songs Lion (Macross F) and Ai Oboeteimasu ka (Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love) ranked 49 and 56 respectively.
vallum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:37 am Reply with quote
^__^v wrote:

The TV Asahi's "Anisong General Election 2020" broadcasted the top 100 songs, but new sites including this one reported only the top 30. According to Conanlover (full list) and
Twitter sources such as gabarennto and RiderArisa two Macross songs Lion (Macross F) and Ai Oboeteimasu ka (Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love) ranked 49 and 56 respectively.

Not really, the TV program actually broadcasted the top 30, the rest was announced on a special transmission, online streaming only, if I remember correctly.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:05 am Reply with quote
^__^v wrote:

I am a little surprised that "Lion" wasn't higher than that. It was a big hit at the time and is, in my opinion, the franchise's best song.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:06 am Reply with quote
I haven't heard or seen a lot of these, but from the ones I have, I get the impression they voted for extremely iconic openings. As in, Sailor Moon's theme isn't exactly the type of song I'd put in my playlist, but it's definitely iconic of Sailor Moon.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:33 am Reply with quote
That's a pretty good list, if I had to choose my favourite from this list that would be Butter-Fly, especially since I grew up with the spanish version which was masterfully adapted, it was cool when anime songs were adapted when the shows were dubbed, sadly due to licenses that's no longer the case, only anime for younger audiences get their songs translated.
Speaking of Evangelion's opening, I first heard the op years before I actually watched the show, I was very young and it gave me the impression that the show was more lighthearted than it really was Laughing
Other songs from the list that are among my favourites are Get Wild, Cha-La Head-Cha-La (especially the spanish version) and Gurenge. If I had to make a list I would have included COLORS, Melissa, Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku, and Mesaze Pokemon Master among others.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

I mean, you could say the same thing about Cruel Angel's Thesis. Not that I'm complaining Razz
Ya, I guess I meant "recently". In the last year there's literally been hundreds of different covers for Gurenge. Tenshi has probably had more online but they've been staggered throughout the years.

I partially agree with Key, Lion should've been on there (but it's not my favorite in the franchise)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2