• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monster Musume's OKAYADO Cancels 12 Beast Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:46 am Reply with quote
I can't even imagine working on two manga's at the same time. You have to be a masochist. Especially with ALL the characters in each and the amount of detail. I know mangaka's have assistants, but I'm not surprised this happened. With the popularity of Monster Musume, 12 Beast had to bite the bullet. It's a shame though he couldn't put it on the side and just work on MM until he was satisfied with how he wanted to end it. 12 Beast is a fun title and I'm sad to see it go.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:09 am Reply with quote
I am really worried about Okayado, it seems to meet his editors are not really taking his mental stress seriously and trust me from the way he describes it, it is even more serious than you might think and i should know i have suffered trough it as well and words can't even describe it.

I would prefer he would just really step away for awhile until his mental health has regained its composure and his editor and the company he works for should really not stress him out. I am a bit sad this series got cancelled but i am more sad that he feels like his story was not being properly appreciated. It is a good a read and he should not let himself feel so down.

I hope he take's care of himself.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:22 am Reply with quote
Didn't know he was working on a series,along with Monster Musume.You read all the stories about stress and anxiety,creators have over doing just 1 series. I can't imagine how stressful that must've been for him doing two simultaneously.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
I am really worried about Okayado, it seems to meet his editors are not really taking his mental stress seriously and trust me from the way he describes it, it is even more serious than you might think and i should know i have suffered trough it as well and words can't even describe it.

I would prefer he would just really step away for awhile until his mental health has regained its composure and his editor and the company he works for should really not stress him out. I am a bit sad this series got cancelled but i am more sad that he feels like his story was not being properly appreciated. It is a good a read and he should not let himself feel so down.

I hope he take's care of himself.

I agree 100%. It really sounds like he needs to take some time off and get mental health treatment. Unfortunately, given how society seems to view mental health issues in Japan, I worry that it's not going to happen anytime soon.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:35 pm Reply with quote
He sounds like me during my last semester of college, taking 23 credits and only sleeping one night per week. Like me back then, he seems to be about one step away from a breakdown. Hopefully his editor will help him get the rest he needs - it's part of their job to keep their charge happy and productive, after all, and in his current state, he is the opposite of that.
Hi! Jhonathan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I love his art and stories, and because of that, I also think he should take some time away from manga, and take care of himself. His editors also should be more carefull on how they talk and treat him.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:17 am Reply with quote
I don't know know how manga-ka can handle tackling more than 1 regularly-serialized series at once. The pressure is incredibly strong!
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I hope he's able to get the mental health treatment(s) that he needs. Mental health is nothing to sneeze at and reading the story made me feel as if his editor either didn't understand the importance of mental health or didn't care.

I think, once Okayado gets to a place where he feels he can draw again, finding a new editor should be a top priority.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:21 am Reply with quote
The manga and mangaka are both trash but why was he even doing 2 series at the same time? Monster Musume is a bestseller or at least was. Go where the audience is and he did almost twice as many volumes of Musume at the same time so he clearly knows.
He is also working for 2 publishers at one. That is never good.
He even found time to draw hentai in the meantime. Lol. He is the reason why he is working himself in the grave. No one else.

Edit: It was once canceled already in 2015 but got moved around internally. Huh. Only for a month but the publisher clearly never saw it as a priority. But then again, what does Dragon Age even offer?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shiitake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:33 am Reply with quote
There is a mistranslation. (Well, not rare).

The article says "the editor did not even suggest that the manga only go on hiatus. So OKAYADO felt that the manga was truly being treated as already canceled, and he lost motivation to continue."

But the editor actually said "「じゃぁ打ち切りじゃなくて休載にします」" which means "we will make it be on hiatus instead of canceling it as you said".

Then the mangaka says that the editor did not accept his offer to cancel the manga and it will be treated as being on hiatus in the magazine, but anyway, he hasn't any motivation anymore to continue the manga regardless of the official status of the manga.

I am not sure what actually happened between the mangaka and the editor though, it seems like their relationship was not going well. The official status that seems as a compromise offered by the editor will be changed anyway as the author himself announced he has ended it as is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1