• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Terraformars, Coppelion, Gargantia, Megalobox Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Well damn. Didn't expect this.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:21 pm Reply with quote
At this point Funimation has done more with their Viz deal than Crunchyroll. I hope they will add all of Inuyasha soon as Crunchyroll only has the first 54 episodes. More fans should watch Megalobox as it always needs more love.
TD912

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Huh, very interesting. Wonder what's going on with Viz since they use Warner Media to distribute physical media, and their Europe division is a part of Crunchyroll which is also part of Warner. I would have thought Viz would be working closer with CR than Funi but I guess not.

Actually, they announced they were working together last year:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-07-03/crunchyroll-viz-media-partner-for-home-video-digital-distribution-in-n-america/.148599

And now it looks like they switched over to Sentai:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-09-05/crunchyroll-sentai-filmworks-partner-for-home-video-releases/.163655
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:27 pm Reply with quote
TD912 wrote:
Huh, very interesting. Wonder what's going on with Viz since they use Warner Media to distribute physical media, and their Europe division is a part of Crunchyroll which is also part of Warner. I would have thought Viz would be working closer with CR than Funi but I guess not.
Viz Europe was completely sold to Crunchyroll, that division is no longer part of Viz at all.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:13 pm Reply with quote
TD912 wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-07-03/crunchyroll-viz-media-partner-for-home-video-digital-distribution-in-n-america/.148599

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-09-05/crunchyroll-sentai-filmworks-partner-for-home-video-releases/.163655

Yeah the whole crunchyroll working with viz media here in america (seperate from the whole europe deal) was a complete joke it seems as they pretty much did next to nothing that anyone is aware of for home video releases.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
TD912 wrote:

Yeah the whole crunchyroll working with viz media here in america (seperate from the whole europe deal) was a complete joke it seems as they pretty much did next to nothing that anyone is aware of for home video releases.

Seems like CR is really bad when it comes to these home video partnerships.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

No kidding, the FUNiroll deal is proof enough of that.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:48 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

True. They released maybe one or two series on home video together? I remember Kancolle being one because of that orange banner at the top and spine. Same with Yamada and the 7 Witches
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

True. They released maybe one or two series on home video together? I remember Kancolle being one because of that orange banner at the top and spine. Same with Yamada and the 7 Witches

There actually were roughly a couple dozen series (maybe more) that were previous crunchyroll properties that they dubbed and released on home video back during the partnership (not even counting the ones that they released that they licensed together after the partnership started which was also a good bit.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Kinda funny. I just finished re-watching Coppelion on Hulu a few days ago. Gargantia was alright, but haven't had an urge to watch again, and wasn't a fan of the others.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:26 pm Reply with quote
^I'm looking forward to rewatching Coppelion. It's been a while...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1