• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rent-A-Girlfriend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Netero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In probably the best scene in the show so far, the two slug it out...

That was the worst scene, and absolutely sickening.

#onepunchcankill
Dextres

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so the masturbation scene....

Well it least wasn't bad as Shinji from EOE.
micah007

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I had an initial flabbergasted reaction to the masturbation scene, primarily because I didn't think we'd actually have an involved scene of Kazuya touching himself, but in retrospect I can recognize the value of the scenes inclusion. It was realistic and representative of the beginnings of hopefully a notable change in Kazuya's character. I hope from this point now he can START to think a bit harder about the differences between love and lust.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:00 pm Reply with quote
This review (episode 5) is so hilarious. I think you should watch J-dramas or Latam novelas were characters recognised their other souls without ever touching them (or themselves for that matter). Laughing

You mean to tell me that horny adults do horny things... Shocker lol. Also, forgets to mention that even though Kazuya is trying to do the right thing and leave, Chizuru gives him the wrong signal (or right if you know what I mean lol). I don't know why I waste my time. Most reviews are done to create conflict in the viewers/readers and drive page views. Maybe I should apply my movie strategy and not read anime reviews/trailers/etc. Definitely helps me enjoy the movies (Hollywood) without prudish opinions.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:21 am Reply with quote
So is Teenage Bottlerocket Nick's band or something? He hands them free promos in every review, carefully choosing his words for the title drops.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:32 pm Reply with quote
This episode was so bad. Not only is it oddly paced (we had just decided last episode Ruka was going to be his "trial girlfriend" and then she gets not even a minute of screentime one episode later?), it's such a backpedal on Kazuya and Chizuru's relationship, all for the sake of a poorly paced and contrived "misunderstanding" plot that could've easily been cut in half with nothing of value lost, or better yet just cut entirely. Kazuya is the least sympathetic here he's ever been, and for Chizuru to not only shrug off the fact that he had stalked her for an entire day but basically rewards him for it? Total garbage. My opinion of this show wasn't especially high, but this tanked it pretty hard.

I also think Chizuru is developing feelings for him way too easily and way too soon but that's a separate issue.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:55 am Reply with quote
I was half sure that we would find out that the guy was gay or something. This was not a good episode.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:52 am Reply with quote
I'm not going to comment on this show because I haven't watched a single episode of it, but what's with all the stalking in anime? Particularly during segments that are supposed to be romantic, but friends of one or both of the character decides to stalk the couple just to see what's going on, and in almost all the cases, they end up ruining the date. This was particularly egregrious in You're Under Arrest, even though I kinda knew it was coming.

I can only think of one show that actually had a stalking situation that turned into a funny sight gag. The rest just makes me frustrated and irritated. Or weirded out, but in fairness, that case wasn't because of the people doing the stalking, or the people the stalkees thought were out on a date, but of course proved to be wrong.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:07 pm Reply with quote
So was the big reveal here that Chizuru is being Rentadate just to hone her acting chops (and earn some side cash)? Somehow that doesn't seem right, like it's not enough, considering how hard she's been keeping it secret. It also seems like she's trying to keep her acting a secret too, which is...counterproductive? I mean, if you want to be on stage or tv, you kinda need people to know about that, don't you? If this is really all there is to her taking this job, Ima be very disappoint.

I wonder if Kazuya will ever realize that Ruka is to him as he is to Chizuru: a clingy, needy, pain in the neck who can't take no for an answer and won't go away.

Umi-kun seems nice. Can we make the series about him instead?
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:51 pm Reply with quote
To rub salt on the wound further, I should add that this episode was written by Tsubota Fumi, otherwise best known as the main writer of the well-received pro-feminism, female-empowering Hugtto Precure series. While I do understand that the plot of this episode is based off the manga and Tsubota would have little say in how it should go, but at least make the dialogue believable. The main character acted so insulting and chauvinistic (to both Chizuru and Ruka) in this episode that it's hard to imagine this was written by the same person as Hugtto.
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:17 am Reply with quote
You can only pull the "I'm a human piece of garbage" card to try to "humanize" or make your main character relatable so many times before it become meaningless. I think that threshold was crossed in this episode.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:24 pm Reply with quote
The more I watch this the more I miss Ichigo 100%...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:39 am Reply with quote
I still think they're holding back the card where we find out the real reason Chizuru is play-dating or wants to be an actress. Something in her past is the only thing that could explain why she would put up with any of this, grandmothers notwithstanding.

And Ruka...I can't even. >.<
yeehaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:29 am Reply with quote
My favorite character is Umi-kun, my second favorite is Mami because she's the only one who treats Kazuya the way he deserves to be treated
PonSquared

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Ep 10 review. How many thousands of words and not a single mention of the fish? Fail.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3