• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Given Anime Film Sells 100,000 Tickets

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toprak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Wooow, I did not expect that given has that big audience. Great Job!
25thchestnut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see how successful and well-received it's been in Japan! The Western fandom has been in mild chaos waiting for news of any kind of international release.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I want to be happy about this news but also we're in a pandemic and I can't help but feel moviegoers are being kind of reckless.
toprak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I want to be happy about this news but also we're in a pandemic and I can't help but feel moviegoers are being kind of reckless.

I am really agree with the last part of your sentence, I do not understand people that hangs out for having fun, I would really understand If they would have to do it because of their job but no this is not.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Otakuch wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I am really agree with the last part of your sentence, I do not understand people that hangs out for having fun, I would really understand If they would have to do it because of their job but no this is not.

Going out when your sick in Japan is pretty common. They were doing the whole mask thing decades before westerners started doing it for to corona. Fans must really want to see the film
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:28 pm Reply with quote
It's all-American in this thread, I see...

I live in Japan, and I can assure you that going to see movies is about the most socially-distanced thing I regularly do. (I have seen the Given movie, and it is very good—if rather entertainingly sexually explicit for something rated "G" in this country.)

I go to work every day, working with two dozen other people in a single mid-sized room that doesn't permit real social distancing (although of course we wear masks and keep the air flowing).

I go shopping for food and other necessities every day, and the only difference from a normal shopping trip is that there are places marked on the floor to stand in line and, again, everyone's wearing masks. There's still the same crush at the discounted fish there always was.

I pass by the throngs of kids coming home from school every day, and I've eaten at restaurants, and done all the other usual things, and typically the only difference is that people wear masks, there might be marked spots to line up at, and there are hand sanitizer stations at entrances and exits.

At the movie theater, however, in addition to all these things, you also have your temperature checked when entering and only a few seats are sold in each row—you are nowhere near anyone else (especially if you sit front and center like I do). Although I wear a mask at the theater, it genuinely feels redundant after I'm in the auditorium. It's the safest thing I do.

Please remember that every country is having a different experience with the pandemic, and that Japan currently has no lockdown or guidance prohibiting specific activities, apart from compliance with the basic safety standards I've mentioned. Although infection numbers in Tokyo have been bouncing up and down all summer, mostly associated with the nightlife (I don't believe that any infection clusters have been traced to movie theaters), my prefecture hasn't broken triple digits cumulatively for the entire year. My work introduces me to literally hundreds of people on a regular basis, and I've never met anyone who even knows anyone who's been infected. We see reminders of the pandemic everywhere, and of course we always follow the rules—this is Japan; following the rules is the national pastime—but ultimately life is simply a modified version of normal. From my perspective, the panicked, politicized, judgmental, argh-argh-society-is-breaking-down attitude in the US is the baffling recklessness. Japan proves (together with a number of other nations) that if we can just stay calm, adjust our behavior in an agreed-upon fashion, and get on with life, we can still have nice things like movie theaters and restaurants and elementary schools without killing everyone.
25thchestnut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
It's all-American in this thread, I see...

I live in Japan, and I can assure you that going to see movies is about the most socially-distanced thing I regularly do.

Please remember that every country is having a different experience with the pandemic, and that Japan currently has no lockdown or guidance prohibiting specific activities, apart from compliance with the basic safety standards I've mentioned.

We see reminders of the pandemic everywhere, and of course we always follow the rules—this is Japan; following the rules is the national pastime—but ultimately life is simply a modified version of normal. From my perspective, the panicked, politicized, judgmental, argh-argh-society-is-breaking-down attitude in the US is the baffling recklessness. Japan proves (together with a number of other nations) that if we can just stay calm, adjust our behavior in an agreed-upon fashion, and get on with life, we can still have nice things like movie theaters and restaurants and elementary schools without killing everyone.

Thank you for sharing your perspective. I did wonder about safety in Japan's theatres with all the new anime movies coming out recently, so I'm glad you cleared some things up for us. As you've said, Tokyo's new case numbers do occasionally increase a bit before going down and up again, but from my understanding the situation is, on the whole, under control enough for people to attend theatres as long as they follow health and safety procedures, which they seem to be more willing to do than lots of places in America.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Japan is doing it's best but I mean it's not like US theaters aren't also doing stricter social distance guidelines themselves, but you're still dealing with an airborne virus in tight areas where most social distancing guidelines are asking people to avoid doing that kind of thing unless for essential business. Hence why Tenet had a box office number in the US and Disney moved Mulan to their online streaming services and blockbusters that attract large crowds are struggling during this era.
Kakegurui

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:37 am Reply with quote
100k tickets sold is A LOT for the BL genre so I am glad GIVEN is the one to do this. It's a masterpiece even if you don't typically go for BL. The music is spectacular.

Did they announce a second movie yet? Seems BL is becoming "big" in Japan. There's so many coming out.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:52 am Reply with quote
Kakegurui wrote:
Did they announce a second movie yet? Seems BL is becoming "big" in Japan. There's so many coming out.

This movie, despite its relatively brief length, actually wraps up all the hanging threads from the series perfectly, so there's no immediate need for a second installment. However, since the interest is obviously there, I wouldn't rule out further entries in the series!
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:03 am Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:

This movie, despite its relatively brief length, actually wraps up all the hanging threads from the series perfectly, so there's no immediate need for a second installment. However, since the interest is obviously there, I wouldn't rule out further entries in the series!

Good to know even if there is a good chance it will not be released in NA theatres regardless of the pandemic.
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
Kakegurui wrote:

There is more manga to adapt so fingers crossed. However, if we don't get anything else, I am happy that we got an animated satisfying conclusion to a romance anime. There are so many in the genre that just leave you hanging and forced to read the manga.
Chrizy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:50 am Reply with quote
Kakegurui wrote:
100k tickets sold is A LOT for the BL genre so I am glad GIVEN is the one to do this. It's a masterpiece even if you don't typically go for BL. The music is spectacular.

As a gay man, this is a wonderful news to me but I'm afraid it would turn the pandering route where the audience is mainly fujoshis who just want to see two pretty bishonens together.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1