• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Way of the Househusband Show Introduces Original Daughter Character

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-SP-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:24 am Reply with quote
What's with all the stupid original characters, at that point why not just make an originals series?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:29 am Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
What's with all the stupid original characters, at that point why not just make an originals series?
Because emulating the same idea for a comedy series that works as the same is much harder that throw some OC's into already working thing.

Though really — how does that affect the series is beyond my comprehension, because having a teen daughter (which probably the Miku's only) in the Tatsu-Miku relationship kinda... not really works, in my opinion. Not like Tatsu is good with children, more like... when Tatsu pull another yakuza stunt, children react basically as normal humans do, and I don't think that they use it for that exact jokes.
stefand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:11 am Reply with quote
Hm, i think the daughter could work, but i think Tatsu does not look frightening enough.
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:36 am Reply with quote
So this live action is not so much an adaptation but a "based on..." kind of thing, huh. A daughter changes the dynamics completely imo. Even more so a teenage.

But I guess a gag comedy doesn't work as a film, so they'll have to add some type of conflict/drama with the OCs.

Also, TsudaKen looked so much better as Tatsu.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:45 am Reply with quote
Why are y'all calling her a teenager? The article clearly states that she's in elementary school, which makes her no older than twelve, and she doesn't look a day over ten.

Anyway, I'm not super thrilled about this development. Not that I'm inherently opposed to them having a kid, but I can't stand the trope of children being smarter and more mature than the adults around them. Part of Miku's charm is that she is, by all evidence, intelligent and capable, but also has a childlike enthusiasm for things. Having a precocious child around to roll her eyes at her weirdo mom just kind of saps that.
Kokushibou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:16 am Reply with quote
The daughter character could make for some interesting episodes. Like when he visits her school or when her friends see this yakuza like father for the first time or when a boy in her class likes her but runs away seeing her father. Those kinds of stories is what they probably have in mind.
meruru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:24 am Reply with quote
Please no. I don't really like kid characters, and adding one to change it into a comedy for the whole family isn't a good direction in my opinion. There's a ton of comedies involving yakuza where the yakuza aren't very threatening due to comedic exaggeration, and those ones are more like silly family friendly comedies. Way of the House Husband is not that direction at all. Instead it's more of a dead-pan. I don't see why they should make it more like the former, and probably change the tone of it entirely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1