• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Confirms Super Mario Bros. Film's 2022 Opening

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to see it. The announcement for the film back in 2018 (as well as the announcement of what are now called Pokémon Sword and Shield) actually ended up convincing me to get a Nintendo Switch. And the first game I ever bought for the Switch, coincidentally enough, ended up being Super Mario Odyssey - now one of my favorite Mario titles, and deserves all the critical acclaim and financial success it got. Imagine an adventure on the scale of Odyssey on the big screen. I get more excited about this by the minute.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:41 am Reply with quote
I believe an animated Mario movie will work better compared to the live-action version, seeing Nintendo supervising the production is a good sign but still, Illumination has not the best track record of animated movies, they are succesful but in terms of story they aren't as good compared to Pixar, Disney or Dreamworks, the only movie they made I enjoyed was Sing.
I just hope Mario will be voiced by Charles Martinet, Illumination has a bad tendency, even worse than Dreamworks, with celebrity voices, especially when they dub their movies into Latin-American spanish, they cast many celebrities and musicians for the main roles and very few do good job.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:21 am Reply with quote
If Nintendo has a hand in this movie, you know it's going to be good, unlike MINO (Mario in Name Only). Even better if they get Charles Martinet to voice Mario like he's done since Super Mario 64. Nobody else will do.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:31 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I believe an animated Mario movie will work better compared to the live-action version, seeing Nintendo supervising the production is a good sign but still, Illumination has not the best track record of animated movies, they are succesful but in terms of story they aren't as good compared to Pixar, Disney or Dreamworks

If we’re being fair even those studios for all the acclaim they’ve had have put out some sub-par or outright bad movies. As for for them retaining Martinet regardless of which route they take I’m on to see if this will make
people see that full voice acting in general is not a bad thing which in turn will make Nintendo stop listening to all the people that whined about Sunshine having it leading to the next spate of Mario games after it not having it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Personally I feel like the live action Mario movie was underrated and it's actually quite a fun movie as a what if Mario was a sci-fi Blade Runner film instead of a fantasy. But I'm glad they're still making progress on the animated Mario movie as it seemed like we hadn't heard any updates about it in a long while and I was getting worried about the movie.

Quote:
If Nintendo has a hand in this movie, you know it's going to be good, unlike MINO (Mario in Name Only). Even better if they get Charles Martinet to voice Mario like he's done since Super Mario 64. Nobody else will do.
While Charles Martinet is iconic as Mario, he's not the first voice actor for the role as he was played by Captain Lou Albano and Walker Boone in the animated shows and if I'm entirely honest I liked Mario better when he was from Brooklyn.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1