• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DB's Toriyama, I''s Katsura to Team Up on 1-Shot Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
This is a very interesting combination to say the least.

Looking forward to learning more about this one-shot and what genre it's going to belong to in the end.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
With a combo like that I'm wondering how they're going to decide who gets to draw. I'm going with Katsura drawing the girls and Toriyama drawing the guys. Very Happy (j/k)

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
For some reason i can't help but remember the "Fusion Tech" from DB....................
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Definitely looking forward to see what comes of this. The Toriyama/Oda one-shot combining Dragon Ball and One Piece was pretty cool, so this should be interesting. This is especially true since Katsura's style is way different from either one of them.

Raven Shinobi wrote:
Looking forward to learning more about this one-shot and what genre it's going to belong to in the end.

What do you mean? While Katsura mostly does romance/drama and Toriyama mostly does action, they're both in the shounen category. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
And Katsura's been doing hardcore seinen action for the last five years.

Shaman King is also coming back; he's serializing a new ending in Jump Square, to be included in the new Kanzenban edition.
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
And Katsura's been doing hardcore seinen action for the last five years.

Shaman King is also coming back; he's serializing a new ending in Jump Square, to be included in the new Kanzenban edition.

WHAT ?
WHAAAAT ?
serious ?
Shaman King is coming back ?
OMG
You just made my day !
..you just made my day .
I think i'm crying now.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think I heard one time that Katsura was a pretty big fan of Toriyama's work (which would probably explain some of the Super Saiyan mock scenes in DNA squared during the later episodes) so seeing them partner up is a nice touch. Smile However, are the DBZ characters gonna be in it or original characters cooked up by Toriyama? Question
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow, never would have seen this team up coming. I'm interested in seeing the finished product. I really hope Katsura ends being the one drawing the manga though. He draws some of the most beautiful women in manga. Besides, I've never liked Toriyama's art in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
Michi wrote:

What do you mean? While Katsura mostly does romance/drama and Toriyama mostly does action, they're both in the shounen category. Smile

What I meant is that they both have different sub genres that they specialize in like you have stated, so I'm wondering whose preferred sub-genre is going to dominate this one-shot: Toriyama's action/comedy or Katsura's romance/drama?

Speaking of the art, I have a hunch that Toriyama might be the one who handles it, since his artwork is more recogniziable thanks to the DB/DBZ popularity, though I don't think that a romance/drama plot would look good with his art. Looking forward to more news on that.
saiyajedi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:18 am Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
Speaking of the art, I have a hunch that Toriyama might be the one who handles it, since his artwork is more recogniziable thanks to the DB/DBZ popularity, though I don't think that a romance/drama plot would look good with his art. Looking forward to more news on that.

If it's anything like the Toriyama/Oda crossover from last year, they'll both be drawing it, with characters interacting in the same panels, even. This will no doubt be incredibly bizarre since Katsura's and Toriyama's styles differ much more drastically, but... I'm looking forward to it.
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
Very interesting combination. I'd really like to check it out.

And if I were to guess, they'll probably both draw parts of the manga and that should make it extra special.
Chiaki777

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, I hope the two guys find a good middle ground in terms of their art styles. If they drew it all willy nilly, it would be rather disturbing.

I am hoping to check it out though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1