• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online: Progressive Light Novels Get Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:42 am Reply with quote
Wow, a definitive retelling of my favorite arc? Nice! Although after a quick search, I saw lots of new characters on the LN cover, I do have to wonder are there any inconsistencies between progressive and original Aincrad Arc?

So the whole story seems to be a very light-hearted adventure story that emphasizes on the relationship between Kirito and Asuna, and how they develop a relationship to begin with. I like this direction a lot
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:44 am Reply with quote
Basically they are adapting what SAO should've been.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:48 am Reply with quote
man, how much money does this franchise make? It gets so much attention that's unheard of for modern anime runs other than things like SnK.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The Sword Art Online: Progressive novel series launched in 2012 as a revised retelling of Kawahara's original Sword Art Online novels. The story depicts Kirito's journey through the floating Aincrad castle from the beginning

No way it is going to cover the entire journey to the 74th floor. At the current pace of two volumes in Progressive for each floor it's simply a matter of physics no matter what author's pace.
Most likely only until the end of the dark elf storyline, whatever floor that will be. And considering the current events in the last volumes in Progressive cover a timeline not covered in the main it's currently more of a filling in the gaps in the original story rather than a retelling...

That said, I do like Progressive, actually more than the main series, just wish the author would spare some time from the other one for this, we haven't had a new release in a while...

Last edited by Blanchimont on Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:56 am; edited 3 times in total
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:53 am Reply with quote
Wonder what 22.11.6 means... That doesn't align with any anime season...

Either way, great news and am seriously looking forward to this!
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:55 am Reply with quote
When you're sad after watching the latest episode of Alicization and see this announcement Very Happy
Amazing timing, i hope it will be a tv anime, time to reread the 6 volumes i guess.
Drunk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:58 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Wonder what 22.11.6 means... That doesn't align with any anime season...

Either way, great news and am seriously looking forward to this!

November 6th 2022 is the in-series start date of the SAO game.
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Recently bought the first volume, haven't read it yet tho. Looking forward to experiencing the story in both mediums.

So no staff or even studio was announced yet? It'd be interesting to see a different director than Ito or Ono direct some SAO, maybe even a different studio than A-1 could produce it. Would be a perfect opportunity for a breath of fresh air in the franchise.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Wow, a definitive retelling of my favorite arc? Nice! Although after a quick search, I saw lots of new characters on the LN cover, I do have to wonder are there any inconsistencies between progressive and original Aincrad Arc?

So the whole story seems to be a very light-hearted adventure story that emphasizes on the relationship between Kirito and Asuna, and how they develop a relationship to begin with. I like this direction a lot

Progressive is literally a giant contradiction. In the original SAO, Kirito was a solo player for the most part. In Progressive, Kirito and Asuna are a 2 person party going through every floor of Aincrad. Progressive is meant to be a soft reboot.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:20 pm Reply with quote
While I'd still prefer a Girls Ops anime, at least we're getting animated Kizmel.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Time for Kizmel to get some screen time. <3
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:26 pm Reply with quote
YES YES YESSSSS!
Lin Liren

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:30 pm Reply with quote
1) Ah, it will give Kawahara Sensei time to finish the "Unital Ring Saga" so the eventual Anime Series will have a complete script to work from, and not suffer from "Jump Manga Adaptation Original Filler Syndrome" (or worse yet, "Star Wars Sequel Trilogy Syndrome" Razz ) due to starting work without a cohesive vision or even an actual ending in sight.

2) Hopefully Kajiura Yuki Sensei can spare the time from Kimetsu No Yaiba: Demon Slayer to continue composing her majestic musical score for the saga.

3) Hopefully the adorable "Sword Art Offline" Comedy Blu-Ray/DVD extras make a return from "Progressive" onwards! Smile
Azumi14

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Progressing novel are more like side stories. One of stories you find out how Argo gets the marks on her face. Also, the way Kirito meets Asuna is different then the original anime series and in the end notes Reki Kawahara explains the reason. Kizmel the Dark Elven Royal Guard arc is covered in these novels. I enjoy the progressing novel all the ones I can get in English and looking forward to the anime. Vol 7 was going to get release in English and I had it on pre order then it was never released. I looking forward to this.
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic news! I really wasn't expecting it to be announced so soon! Hopefully the adaptation is done better than the originals adaptation.

AnimeFlyz wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:

Progressive is literally a giant contradiction. In the original SAO, Kirito was a solo player for the most part. In Progressive, Kirito and Asuna are a 2 person party going through every floor of Aincrad. Progressive is meant to be a soft reboot.

While Kirito does team up with her earlier we don't know if they're gonna stick together the whole time or if they are going to eventually split up when Asuna joins the KoB. If Reki does continue writing past the point where that originally happens "which I think he will" then they will most likely split up, because if they don't "at least to some extent" Kirito as a character won't make sense. While Progressive can contradict some things I don't think it can contradict something that big because it would mess up things in the main story. While Progressive may seem like it might be unrelated to the main story it isn't since things from Progressive have been being used in the main story for awhile now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3