• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Art Online: Alicization War of Underworld Part 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:27 am Reply with quote
-I forgot about Alice presenting herself to her former dad in the previous season. My bad.
-As for the memories of those two, I'm still more willing to bet on the interconnection of fluctlights and some weird kind of reincarnation over "hey, I saw those two (except Asuna because fudge her) in a history book once" since that scene was meant to be very emotional and it included Eugeo only for the one relevant "descendant".

-As for the 200 year thing that keeps getting mentioned, it's pretty obvious? That figure kept being mentioned. It was the minimum that would pass from acceleration activation to its shutdown - and shutdown it was, as Kingrito had been in the Underworld for 200 years and change. If they hadn't, the entire history of the planet would have gone through lol. And once deactivated there was no reason tu pump it up again (although I'm surprised any time AT ALL passed between Kingrito leaving and the current moment, unless he put himself in the freezer?).

-Also now that I think about it, what's with discovering more planets and space monsters as a matter of course? This the Incarnation system create it out of the blue form Kirito and Asuna's knowledge of the universe? Who is to blame for the monsters? Because all this didn't need to exist when their initial goal was to destroy the entirety of the Underworld in that incoming war.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
At one point Dr. Wily said, "I seriously don't think the show itself has ever even brought up the term Incarnation, I'd never heard of it until reading it here." No one ever addressed that, which I was waiting for since I was feeling the same way. So when was it first mentioned in the anime? I'm quite willing to believe I missed it, or forgot it, as I am wont to do, but I really was scratching my head when people suddenly started talking about it in here.

It was thoroughly explained, used and remembered all the way back in the good part of Alicization, back when it was used more as a boost than a deus ex system.
But that was a year and a half ago and I don't think they refreshed us on the concept so you better have comitted it to memory.
Pedram

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:36 am Reply with quote
Damn here had such a big discussion lol, I don't even want to read these past messages to reply, too much waste of time lol
so much people not understanding (or not wanting to understand) or misunderstanding everything.

jr240483 wrote:
that is unless the wrtiter isnt counting that arc considering that im hearing from LN readers that its even worse than fairy dance!

What the fudge, This is the weirdest shit I ever heard, Unital Ring is nothing like Fairy Dance, Like AT ALL.
the only thing it have in similarity to Fairy Dance is the first 5minute of it happen in ALO. That's all LOL
Unital Ring imo, is awsome and very enjoyable. specially as a Survival game fan (like Ark Survival Evolved)

Key wrote:
Oh, one point from the last review that I want to elaborate on further: the emblem on the inside of the dragoncraft cockpit didn't just have twin swords, it also had blue roses and osmanthus flowers, the symbols of both Eugeo and Alice. Easy detail to miss unless you're looking very closely.

I think anime didn't adapt A LOT and cut too much, but I'm not gonna argue on this point,

just gonna say this part of the review is completely wrong:

Quote:
The one conspicuous detail that is retained is the emblem on the inside of the spacecraft, the one showing Kirito's twin swords. (But I doubt anyone watching needs further affirmation of Kirito having been the king of Underworld at some point.)

It's not Kirito's Twin sword.

That is Star King and Queen's Insignia.
It's Kirito's Night Sky Sword + Asuna's Radiant Light Rapier + Design of Eugeo and Alice's sword flower.

This design can also be seen in the light novels which I can not say where due to spoiler
spoiler[in Accel World Volume 20]

btw saw some people confused so I might also add this detail from the novels. Reki also confirmed.

- Underworld went on for 200 year.
- The 2 girl are Ronye and Tiese's 7th generation of descendant.
- Kirito & Asuna disappeared 30 years ago, which Reki confirm, they were sleeping in those 30 years somewhere together, like Quinella. I think that flashback with them playing Footsie is from those 30 years.
- Ronye and Tiese Recognized Alice from the painting and then recognized Star King and Star Queen. they don't even know their Real name "Kirito or Asuna"
Pedram

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:19 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

-As for the memories of those two, I'm still more willing to bet on the interconnection of fluctlights and some weird kind of reincarnation over "hey, I saw those two (except Asuna because fudge her) in a history book once" since that scene was meant to be very emotional and it included Eugeo only for the one relevant "descendant".

it is played as some kind of "inherited will" in the novels, Remember way back in alicization Kirito vs Volo fight ?
Volo summoned his Ancestor's behind him as a way to empower his Sword Skill, they believe they will inherit the will of their ancestor and become stronger this way.
The reason for them feeling extra emotional is a reunion with their ancestor's important friend which was also kinda prophesied.

plus the realization of the prophecy about the "new era" starting when the door to the other world will be opened once again. which anime cut lol
they describe kirito asuna alice as "messengers, appearing from the past to open the door to the future"

Stica and Laurannei are definitely not "reincarnation" as the novel clearly mention they are 7th generation of Ronye and Tiese's children.
Reki Kawahara in Volume 20's afterword also mention spoiler[Ronye will become a knight and grow stronger and get over kirito eventually as we know she already have children later]

Also a minor spoiler from next Arc Unital Ring spoiler[Stica and Laura don't even know Kirito and Asuna's real name and only think they are Star King and Queen due to what they did and the Insignia showing Kirito and Asuna's weapon]

Yuvelir wrote:

-As for the 200 year thing that keeps getting mentioned, it's pretty obvious? That figure kept being mentioned. It was the minimum that would pass from acceleration activation to its shutdown - and shutdown it was, as Kingrito had been in the Underworld for 200 years and change. If they hadn't, the entire history of the planet would have gone through lol. And once deactivated there was no reason tu pump it up again (although I'm surprised any time AT ALL passed between Kingrito leaving and the current moment, unless he put himself in the freezer?).

The novels mentioned 200 years indeed passed, but the last 30 years of it Star King and Queen disappeared, and Reki confirmed in a tweet that they were sleeping somewhere, probably like Quinella most of the time, as we saw them in a flashback in last week's episode too playing Footsie in bed, is probably those 30 years.

They needed to sleep most of the time as their soul was almost full and exhausted. which is also why Star King in last week Episode mention "short remaining life" for himself and queen. he is gonna die soon as well.

Yuvelir wrote:

-Also now that I think about it, what's with discovering more planets and space monsters as a matter of course? This the Incarnation system create it out of the blue form Kirito and Asuna's knowledge of the universe? Who is to blame for the monsters? Because all this didn't need to exist when their initial goal was to destroy the entirety of the Underworld in that incoming war.

This is the Seed package's ability, these worlds are not all created from incarnation, rather they were already created by Higa but they were basically empty.

the novels had talked about Moon and Sun and such before, the Moon actually existed in the sky. but Higa only developed a small area then made Wall all around it that no living creator can intentionally pass through.

you can see the kinda transparent wall in the anime too here:
https://i.imgur.com/KO9p5WW.png

spoiler for Moon Cralde spoiler[Kirito found a loophole, non-living stuff can pass through the wall normally this also include any living creature that is inside of it and get pushed there, kinda like how I trick and pass some wall in World of Warcraft, if you get knock back by some monster ability you can get pushed into the wall and pass it ]

This was a long feature of The Seed that once something unexpected happen, it will automatically try to keep the world "Lore" working, like if you kill a NPC that was not suppose to die in a quest, it will fix it by making new scenarios.
or if you go to a place that is "empty" originally and not suppose to have any person going there, The Seed will create stuff in there automatically so you won't hit an "empty end of world" area.

many side story and even Calibur Side story from season 2 also explain these Seed functions more.

So Long story short, once they were able to pass the wall, (which they needed to do to find better land for Dark Territory people) the rest of the world was populated by The Seed using resources and AIs.

that monster is "assumed" as one of the things The Seed created.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:37 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
It was thoroughly explained, used and remembered all the way back in the good part of Alicization

But was it called Incarnation? If so, which episode? I remember the stuff about will affecting the world's rules during the bits with the flowers and the sword duel, but while the mechanism was explained there, it wasn't given a name (and it certainly didn't come across as being as all-powerful as it was later). Nor was it named in the massive info-dump from Cardinal where you might expect it to be confirmed.

Pedram wrote:
Higa only developed a small area then made Wall all around it that no living creator can intentionally pass through.

Did you mean "creature" rather than talking about creators like Higa? So that's why the sky looked like a lousy wallpaper job? I asked about that earlier, but didn't get an answer.
Vikkio92

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And so, with this episode, the story of Sword Art Online comes to its original conclusion.

What does this mean? Was the LN originally meant to end with Alicization, but they made Reki continue writing due to the story's popularity or something?
Pedram

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:45 am Reply with quote
I think Anime did mention "Incarnation" by name a few time, but might have been translated differently between subtitles.

but I saw too many of the anime only audience not understanding it so anime definitely could have done a better job, I mentioned it here too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/iekoy8/sword_art_online_alicization_explaining_the/

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Pedram wrote:
Higa only developed a small area then made Wall all around it that no living creator can intentionally pass through.

Did you mean "creature" rather than talking about creators like Higa? So that's why the sky looked like a lousy wallpaper job? I asked about that earlier, but didn't get an answer.

yeh lol, it was a typo, creature is what I meant.

Yeah that floating island was called "World End Altar" coz it's literally at the "end of the world" the boundary that higa created so no one can go over it.

but the world was made with some default planet and moon etc design but empty and they only designed a small area of it then wall around it.

although these planets are pretty small tho compare to Earth obviously.

you can even see Centoria City with naked eye from the space lol it looks like it's as big as a continent if you compare it to earth coz the planet is small.

Vikkio92 wrote:
Quote:
And so, with this episode, the story of Sword Art Online comes to its original conclusion.

What does this mean? Was the LN originally meant to end with Alicization, but they made Reki continue writing due to the story's popularity or something?

Not really, some people think that was the plan for Webnovel but even that is not confirmed. the thing is, Reki Kawahara stop writing SAO after Alicization in 2008 in webnovel, then start his new and first official work, Accel World, so people think he ended "the story" but it's more toward the fact that he didn't have time to write a webnovel anymore and started becoming a real author and write Accel World and SAO Progressive.

he even did write half of Moon Cradle arc in webnovel way back in 2008.

Also, in the Light Novel era, when he released Volume 18 in 2016, he already planned for next Arc, as not only he had a lot of foreshadowing for Unital Ring Arc but also the story literally end with "Kirito will Return" illustration lol

it is a fact that SAO is Extremely popular tho, #1 light novel of the decade, so Miki (his editor/manager) definitely wanted Reki to put his time back on Main SAO and continue it.

Last edited by Pedram on Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:49 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
but there is another notion you and the article writer forgot! its technically NOT the end of SAO! sure its the end for the anime, BUT FOR THE LIGHT NOVELS HOWEVER, there is another new arc thats comes right after alicization! that is unless the wrtiter isnt counting that arc considering that im hearing from LN readers that its even worse than fairy dance!

I never said in the review that it was the current ending of SAO; I said that it was the original ending, which Kawahara explains himself in the Afterword for vol. 18.

(I actually had a bet with myself that someone was going to miss that distinction, so I guess I won that. . .)

Pedram wrote:
just gonna say this part of the review is completely wrong:

Quote:
The one conspicuous detail that is retained is the emblem on the inside of the spacecraft, the one showing Kirito's twin swords. (But I doubt anyone watching needs further affirmation of Kirito having been the king of Underworld at some point.)

It's not Kirito's Twin sword.

That is Star King and Queen's Insignia.
It's Kirito's Night Sky Sword + Asuna's Radiant Light Rapier + Design of Eugeo and Alice's sword flower.

Though you contradict yourself in places between those two posts, you are absolutely correct on this. Makes more sense that way, too.

Quote:
The novels mentioned 200 years indeed passed, but the last 30 years of it Star King and Queen disappeared, and Reki confirmed in a tweet that they were sleeping somewhere, probably like Quinella most of the time. . .

Yeah, the novel suggests that they went into Deep Freeze for those 30 years, but the wording is vague on that. I am glad to hear that Kawahara later clarified it. That Kirito and Asuna might have been sleeping a lot so they could last the 200 years also makes total sense; that is never even hinted at in novel 18, but is more or less what I assumed was going on. Also makes sense that the pilots know them as Star King and Star Queen instead of their actual names.

Sadly, there was really no good place in the anime to elaborate on this. Anime series which try to cover all of the details usually end up being clunky on flow and pacing as a result.

And Gina: Point taken. I must acknowledge the possibility that I was underestimating the impact of the cuts since I have read the novels. However, certain points - like why Eugeo appears at the end and the pilot has an emotional reaction to him - are not explained in the novels, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:49 am Reply with quote
Vikkio92 wrote:
Quote:

Most likely referring to the webnovel the light novel was adapted from, that one stops after Alicization.
Pedram

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:21 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Though you contradict yourself in places between those two posts, you are absolutely correct on this. Makes more sense that way, too.

I think by contradicting myself you mean the fact that I said they recognized them as King and Queen, then I said they might have some inherited will kind of thing.

The thing is, it's kinda clear in the novels that they felt happy from the reunion and the assume existence of those "inherited will"

but the line "I know him" is not referring to them "knowing Kirito directly" in fact they never mentioned kirito or asuna by name and don't even know their names, rather it's about knowing they are Star King and Queen and the prophecy and the coming of the new Era has started.
which they literally inner monologue next part in the novels, but clearly anime can't include these.

Key wrote:
Yeah, the novel suggests that they went into Deep Freeze for those 30 years, but the wording is vague on that. I am glad to hear that Kawahara later clarified it. That Kirito and Asuna might have been sleeping a lot so they could last the 200 years also makes total sense; that is never even hinted at in novel 18, but is more or less what I assumed was going on. Also makes sense that the pilots know them as Star King and Star Queen instead of their actual names.

yeh the novel was kind of vague, in fact, for a time I had misunderstood it and I thought 30 years passed after Kirito & asuna logged out.

But later I realize that the world also stop back to 1:1 speed around the same time as they logged off, Reki also confirm that Kirito & Asuna spent 200 full years in Underworld, it's just 30 years of it was sleeping.

not confirmed if it's "deep freeze" or "quinella kind of sleeping" but since reki mentioned Selka as "Deep Freeze" and Kirito as "sleeping", I think they were Quinella kind of sleeping.
poltroon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:25 am Reply with quote
The reaction in our watch-group to the last episode can best be summed up as:

what?

It answered no questions we had and ... added so much we never asked for.

At the end of the day, I've completely lost why it was important for Alice to come to the real world.

The relationships between the characters is my favorite part and none of that was addressed.

The whole "underworld depends on the resources of people in the real world and might get cut off" is basically forgotten.

We are reminded that Kirito has parents and they give him a weird lecture about having a normal life and going to college, while apparently forgetting that he was stabbed/poisoned and nearly died ... Kirito apologizes and says he'll totally do that... and he and Alice react to that by ... following some risky link into heroically fighting some weird space monster. With swords. In space. Because reasons.

At least they agreed to invite Asuna.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:05 pm Reply with quote
poltroon wrote:
The reaction in our watch-group to the last episode can best be summed up as:

what?

It answered no questions we had and ... added so much we never asked for.

At the end of the day, I've completely lost why it was important for Alice to come to the real world.

This goes back to comments Higa and Kikuoka made when they were first explaining this to Asuna and Rinko when the latter two first arrived on the Ocean Turtle (in episode 6 of the first half). Alice is a true "bottom-up" AI, which means she can adapt to circumstances beyond what she's programmed to deal with. "Top-down" AI (like Yui) can't do that. That would be a revolutionary jump in AI development. The irony is that this was accomplished essentially by creating a digital living person.

Quote:
The relationships between the characters is my favorite part and none of that was addressed.

What do you feel was left unaddressed? Depending on which characters you're talking about, this may be addressed by the following two novels, which relate some events from early in the 200 years Kirito and Asuna spent in Underworld.

Quote:
The whole "underworld depends on the resources of people in the real world and might get cut off" is basically forgotten.

It isn't; Higa and "Kingrito" talked about that in episode 22. Resolving that is well beyond the time frame of this series, so it will likely come up in the next arc.

Quote:
We are reminded that Kirito has parents and they give him a weird lecture about having a normal life and going to college, while apparently forgetting that he was stabbed/poisoned and nearly died ... Kirito apologizes and says he'll totally do that...

Okay, this part I had issue with as well.

Quote:
and he and Alice react to that by ... following some risky link into heroically fighting some weird space monster. With swords. In space. Because reasons.

What? Alice wanted to go back to Underworld. Kirito still cares about it, too. Why wouldn't they jump at the chance if they found a path back? There's nothing mysterious or complicated about this.

SAO has legitimate issues, but most of your concerns are not among the actual flaws.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
poltroon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I can only tell you what my reaction is, as someone who quite enjoys the series in general and has not read the source material.

Yes; Alice can adapt to circumstances. She's maybe the first but by the time she reaches the altar she's not the only. Extracting one of the others seems like it would work just as well for whatever purpose is in mind.

(Bercouli is never shown breaking his programming but honestly he seems pretty adaptable and flexible too. Not sure what he lacks to fill that role.)

What did they do with it? I mean, okay, she's cool, they extracted her, and they took her to a press conference. How does this change anything? This is unresolved and honestly in the last episode if anything I feel it was forgotten, not left as a loose end that would be important in the story in the future.

I get that Alice would want to go back but if she does how does this impact the need to extract her? Is her work in the real world done?

Bringing Alice to the Real World is in some ways cruel to her. Certainly it had the potential to be cruel. That's not been explored, either her thoughts on that (she should be a little bitter even if she comes to understand) or Kirito's. We get just the tiniest bit in the dojo scene, maybe. That was a place where more could have been done.

It doesn't surprise me that Kirito and Asuna would be interested in going back or in helping to take Alice back, but I think it would have been better then to cut the family scene or to talk about how undangerous and temporary this visit was (was it temporary? I don't even know). Instead, they went out of their way to say it might be risky. Sorry dad, don't care about your concerns after all.

Although I really enjoy SAO and consider myself a fan, maybe one of the biggest downfalls for me is how the story added unnecessarily personal, vengeful, and overpowered danger from the same one-dimensional villains. There's plenty of story around the characters working together and how they interact in the two worlds, and they could do so around different kinds of bosses and problems.

A really good villain thinks he's the hero.

All that said: I do love a good scene with Asuna and Kirito and Alice swinging swords around and winning the day. If there's more I'll be here to watch.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:37 pm Reply with quote
poltroon wrote:
Yes; Alice can adapt to circumstances. She's maybe the first but by the time she reaches the altar she's not the only. Extracting one of the others seems like it would work just as well for whatever purpose is in mind.

I wondered about this over most of the series. The only reason Alice caught their attention was because she crossed the line into the Forbidden Zone in violation of the Taboo Index. But she didn't do this of her own will, she tripped and her fingertips happened to break the laser beam and trip the Index alarm or whatever. I never understood how that suggested that she was in any way special, unless they were looking for clumsiness. oO

Eugio and Alice Synthesis 30 and the pugilist guy all seem to be much better candidates for whatever traits they were interested in. Or why not Quinella? She outstripped (npi) everyone on thinking out of the box and she would've been perfectly amoral for the military uses they had in mind.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I wondered about this over most of the series. The only reason Alice caught their attention was because she crossed the line into the Forbidden Zone in violation of the Taboo Index. But she didn't do this of her own will, she tripped and her fingertips happened to break the laser beam and trip the Index alarm or whatever. I never understood how that suggested that she was in any way special, unless they were looking for clumsiness. oO

Eugio and Alice Synthesis 30 and the pugilist guy all seem to be much better candidates for whatever traits they were interested in. Or why not Quinella? She outstripped (npi) everyone on thinking out of the box and she would've been perfectly amoral for the military uses they had in mind.

I guess the extraordinary thing is that she was actually conflicted between following the law and helping the dark knight. But then again, as said other characters not only were put in that conflict but actually pulled through and went the "forbidden" way because of their reasoning and will.

And as you pointed out, if there was a line to pass it's because Administrator created it in the frist place. Which doesn't speak great of Underworlders because they seem to be unable to disobey any directive by default, but it speaks great of Administrator as she bent and modified the world and its inhabitants to her will, playing with the rules and limitations of the system and hijacking it to get away with her desires. That's definitely more impressive than "she broke by accident the rules set by the actually extraordinary individual".
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:43 pm Reply with quote
poltroon wrote:

That point is (sort of) addressed a few episodes back, when Rinko and Kikuoka first notice Lilpilin. They make the point that Lilpilin broke it through emotion rather than logic, which isn't considered as valuable. Iskahn didn't register because he didn't technically break the seal; he just removed it. Eugeo, as I've described before, didn't last long enough in outside time to be noticed.

Bercouli is, indeed, more flexible and adaptable than most, but he never pushed past his limiter. Could he have done it? Probably, but he never seriously tried, partly because Administrator removed memories from him that could have led to him trying to rebel and partly because he was never put in a situation to oppose her.

As for Alice falling forward to cross the threshold: yes, that did happen, but remember that she was consciously walking towards the threshold at the time, while both Kirito and Eugeo shied away from it. She knew that she shouldn't be trying to cross that threshold according to the Taboo Index, but she was headed in that direction anyway. The way the anime interprets that scene, that was more the decisive factor in her breaking past her limit than actually crossing the threshold (which is what triggered the attention of the face).

Quote:
What did they do with it? I mean, okay, she's cool, they extracted her, and they took her to a press conference. How does this change anything? This is unresolved and honestly in the last episode if anything I feel it was forgotten, not left as a loose end that would be important in the story in the future.

It changes everything. It shows the world that this - the creation of a genuine artificial life form - is possible. The moral, ethical, religious, military, and practical implications of this are enormous, and the press conference touches on this a little bit. This is the starting point for a reinterpretation of human relationship with technology, which is far beyond the scope of this arc to be able to cover. I have not read the next arc yet, but I'm betting that you will see a lot more consequences of it there. They just had to temporarily set that aside to deal with the issues brought up by this final episode.

Quote:
I get that Alice would want to go back but if she does how does this impact the need to extract her? Is her work in the real world done?

Just starting, I'd say.

Quote:
Bringing Alice to the Real World is in some ways cruel to her. Certainly it had the potential to be cruel. That's not been explored, either her thoughts on that (she should be a little bitter even if she comes to understand) or Kirito's. We get just the tiniest bit in the dojo scene, maybe. That was a place where more could have been done.

I agree on the former point and somewhat on the latter. However, I feel that the series does imply how overwhelming and pressuring this experience is for Alice before the dojo scene; remember the "I'm withering away" comment at the end of the next-to-last episode?

Quote:
Although I really enjoy SAO and consider myself a fan, maybe one of the biggest downfalls for me is how the story added unnecessarily personal, vengeful, and overpowered danger from the same one-dimensional villains. There's plenty of story around the characters working together and how they interact in the two worlds, and they could do so around different kinds of bosses and problems.

As much as I like the franchise, the weakness of the villains in the main series is one of my three main beefs with it. (The other two being that the series doesn't allow other capable characters to carry the weight more and the overuse of rapey content.)

Last edited by Key on Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14