• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The God of High School

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:42 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me that the biggest problem with this series is that the director doesn't seem to know how to convey that two (or more) things are happening simultaneously in different locations, without giving the viewer whiplash as the action jumps rapidly between the events and the viewer has no idea what's going on at any of them. He really needs to sit down with some other shounen anime and figure out how they handle that gracefully, since they do it all the time. I'm not saying that's the only problem, but fixing that would go a long way toward making this more coherent.
bennyl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
This story is a complete mess, but it looks damn good.
MF65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
or even ironically fun to watch

Speak for yourself, good sir. That scene where grandpa attacks God with the "Roman sculptures meteoric dildo"? Comedic gold. Nothing else this season made me laugh as hard as that.

Let's be honest, though. No matter how much better the source material might be at explaining whatever the heck is going on, I don't think more "exposition" would make the last few episodes events any less moronic.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I think the scene when Jugel( or whatever, "Shark dude") turned into a baby and then became an angel is the scene that broke me. I legit had a laughing fit for five minutes seeing it just trying to comprehend just what the fudge was going on.

I can feel my brain split apart as I continue to watch this series, it's legit breaking my sanity. Make it stop...
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:22 pm Reply with quote
What's striking to me about this whole arc is how, even without the ludicrously raised stakes and constant barrage of meaningless characters and fights, the fights just...aren't good. Despite ever increasing power levels and more weird superpowers and special techniques and transformations, none of the stuff happening here is even half as compelling as just the (admittedly still superhuman) martial arts fights in the first handful of episodes. Like for all the giant gods and alchemy and demon transformations has there been even a single attack with as much impact as any given kick or strike in Gamdo vs Manseok? It's not like the plot or worldbuilding were any better during that phase, but the action at least left an impression. Now I feel like watching somebody just trading Supers in a bad fighting game.
jeckersly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:27 pm Reply with quote
The fights aren’t good because they’ve completely thrown the artistry of combat and martial arts out the window in favor of spectacle and garbage divine Gundams.

The story has been heaping garbage and in salvageable for six episodes now. But they’ve now betrayed the one actually good thing about it: the fight scenes.

It’s pathetic.
Ensaru64

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:51 am Reply with quote
MF65 wrote:
Quote:
or even ironically fun to watch

Speak for yourself, good sir. That scene where grandpa attacks God with the "Roman sculptures meteoric dildo"? Comedic gold. Nothing else this season made me laugh as hard as that.

Let's be honest, though. No matter how much better the source material might be at explaining whatever the heck is going on, I don't think more "exposition" would make the last few episodes events any less moronic.

The webtoon is "okay" territory for me, but the anime is trying to condense 40-60+ chapters into 3 episodes. Everything that's happening in rapid-fire in the anime took a good amount of time to set up with a different course of events. The anime is a complete mess now, but somehow I ended up enjoying how completely random everything felt. It was like listening to a child trying to explain a story (and then god came out of the sky, then missiles attacked, and then magic man bring down a meteor and teleport everyone to safety....lmao)
jeckersly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:53 am Reply with quote
This bullshit better not get another season.

I've lived through far too many good to great anime that never got more than one season to live in a world where this garbage gets a second season.

What an absolute embarrassment. I've see trash anime before. There's plenty of it out there, unfortunately. I've hardly ever seen a show look so completely different from its first episode to its last, though.

Absolutely no coherency or vision in the writing whatsoever.

This was absolutely embarrassing.

And the final fight wasn't even that cool looking. The one thing this show had going for it, and they even failed at that.

Yikes.
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I've defended this show for the first 5-6 episodes, but the more I watched... yeah, I am not going to watch season 2 if it comes out, thank you.

Can I get just one long Tournament Arc? Without this "God / Chosen One / Pokemon Transformation at the last second / Power of Friendship / Very Evil Very Secret Organizations" BS? This is something I've written when I was like 14-15.

(But I have to admit, that "meteoric dildo" everyone talking about was hillarious)
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Gonna be honest, the series was what it was, but some of you are acting like you've seen 3 anime in your life, jesus. You guys must have side stepped all actual trash anime out there lmao
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:07 pm Reply with quote
So, this is what the much marketed crunchyroll manhwa ended up with, tower of god and god of highschool... Yesh, they couldn't at least pick knight run?
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Remember when we're hyped Manhwa's are getting anime? I kinda don't want it now haha. Looking forward to how they're gonna butcher Solo Leveling eventually.
jeckersly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:32 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
You guys must have side stepped all actual trash anime out there lmao

I typically do. Stepped right into this turd, though.

I have only myself to blame, but this was garbage.
R.Obliv

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I didn’t mind this episode, but overall, the back end of the anime kind of killed the enjoyment I was getting out of it. Towards the start I could forgive the rush because I assumed the staff was planning to flesh out the final episodes of GoH where all the plot happens and the biggest fights. Instead they continuously gave poor explanations that dragged the pacing down, and then rushed fights that didn’t have enough time to mean anything. In practice there seemed to be the intent to produce episode 5 and 10 as serious episodes where everything was highly structured, and then everything else in the anime was in service of getting there. Well animated spectacle was all the rest of the series was interested in showing.

The plot of the anime is nonsensical. Too much crammed in and a lot of contradictions. There’s not really an effort made to make the disparate elements connect, and to be a little against the grain, while the direction for scenes are good, the direction is poor for the overall episodes. The flow of time is not well communicated, mixing of scenes don't mesh thematically and often only parts of a conversation will be shown before cutting away from it… only to flashback to the rest of the conversation in a later scene. The tournament is clearly where the attention should have been going, but Nox often bogs down and distracts from it. There’s also a lot of plot and character episodes that fail to really accomplish anything in the long term. Frankly, the different plot lines in the anime often feel stop and start (The magician fighter is a good example of this, as you could easily assume he has been killed off after his first appearance, before he returns 4 episodes later). In the end, the anime also feels more like a prologue to another story – with a lot of characters only appearing now because they will be important later in an anime season that will never come – hopefully.

The battles are flawed in that the anime kind of has two settings – martial arts fights where every hit feels heavy and impactful, or floaty supernatural stuff where expositions just happen. One or two of the latter is cool, but it dominated the entire series by the end. The supernatural stuff is also a lot harder to take serious when it just doesn’t seem to flow like the martial arts fights. Charyeok battles have less of a back-and-forth element to them and are instead “this is my ability” followed by the other person showing off theirs and winning.

I really disliked the anime as an adaptation. It just felt unfocused, overstuffed and underwritten – rather than adapt a story suitable for a single season it chose to cram as much as humanly possible in the 13 episodes – sense be damned. It created a mess and meant that everything introduced in the second half was just rushed through. Were the Six really needed in this season? Was Nox necessary? Why hold off the explanations for vital plot until the final episode? Because the Webtoon did it isn’t a good answer. In addition, it caused the fights, the webtoon’s greatest selling point, to look empty. The disconnect between Charyeok and Martial arts is largely an adaption specific issue (It should be acknowledged the first time they appeared the author took a few attempts to integrate them well).

Ultimately I used to think GoH suited being animated, because the battles in the webtoon were akin to storyboards at times, often showing the multiple steps by which moves were countered or chained together, something almost begging to be animated. While it eventually got stuck in a quagmire of too many characters and a plot that moved about as fluidly as a diamond, for years it was a consistent weekly spectacle that had a lot of thought put into how to improve on what came before. The webtoon knew how to play with expectations, tone and pacing, but its ambition was in storytelling within fight scenes, and not the plot itself. The plot was just there, a vehicle to achieve a new fight scene or justify whatever new idea the author dreamed up that morning. GoH relied heavily on the medium to cover over the ravine sized cracks that formed the foundations of the plot. Which is to say the webtoon could turn chicken crap into chicken salad – or at least a 3/5 series. It was my kind of trash, and I wanted to see that animated. In the end, good animation alone can’t replicate the wrangling the webtoon often used to achieve a passing grade, and the anime showed those cracks to the world as well as its own adaption specific flaws. I guess if it has achieved one thing, it has made me appreciate the Webtoon more.

And to stress, don't feel the need to read the webtoon or anything like that. It's better than the anime but has problems and is not worth the time reading at this point as it's long outstayed its welcome. It was fun to read weekly, but was never really something worthy of seeking out to binge read unless you were purely interested in well drawn fight scenes. Now its just noise. I do hope that the day the author finally finishes GoH, if they wish to continue drawing, they find an actual writer to work with them on future projects. Because his artwork and understanding of how to use the medium of a webtoon could really help raise someone's story.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote
gees, gotta love how mori's gave that speech of how he was in a transcended state because of the chi pressure points thingy only to be rendered useless in half a minute and still end up winning the battle by a quintessential deus ex machina, and yes as I called it at the very end he pulled yet another brand new Jin original dragon out of his butt, just because. but the most baffling thing is that the show expect us to think it was reasonable for Mori to spend the all mighty wish on restoring a couple people's limbs (and a few other's bruises) while standing in a literal nuclear wasteland, then we get a happy go lucky ending as if the world shouldn't be worried about WW3 starting..., then adds some totally nonsensical extra edgy teasers, like the leader of Nox apparently be a head of a political party, because that makes sense, and mori's grandpa being fated to be brain washed, because apparently the series has not used enough cliches yet. I am honestly surprised by how this series finds ways to become even more poorly written as it goes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8