• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online: Progressive Light Novels Get Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pedram

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Wow, a definitive retelling of my favorite arc? Nice! Although after a quick search, I saw lots of new characters on the LN cover, I do have to wonder are there any inconsistencies between progressive and original Aincrad Arc?

So the whole story seems to be a very light-hearted adventure story that emphasizes on the relationship between Kirito and Asuna, and how they develop a relationship to begin with. I like this direction a lot

AnimeFlyz wrote:

Progressive is literally a giant contradiction. In the original SAO, Kirito was a solo player for the most part. In Progressive, Kirito and Asuna are a 2 person party going through every floor of Aincrad. Progressive is meant to be a soft reboot.

There is only 1 contradiction in the SAO Progressive and it's pretty minor coz it wont change anything big in the grand scheme of things.
It's the fact that Kirito and Asuna become "temporary partners" to survive the early floors of Aincrad.

something which does not really contradict anything big by itself unless Kirito and Asuna stay as partner or become a couple earlier.

but we already know this wont happen, as long as you read the Side stories that Reki Kawahara has been released for many years now, you can know what gonna happen. everything is very well planned for even some of Kirito and Asuna's attitude to fit the way it was in the original SAO.

to give you a short spoiler spoiler[Kirito & Asuna will stay as partner until Floor 25, some of the reasons for their split up is hinted as the "bad" ending of Elf War Campaign quest and the disaster of Floor 25, then Asuna join KoB Guild while Kirito remain solo for 2 more floor IIRC before he will save Sachi's guild and then join them... the rest of it is in Main SAO already and all happen the same way as before]

These above details and even more can be found in many side story, like The Day Before, Sugary Days, Hopeful Chants etc.

For example Hopeful Chant is story of Floor 39~40, which also show us Kirito and Asuna's situation in that floor plus more information regarding past events.
Xavon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Now the most important question; who is going to voice Kizmel?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:10 am Reply with quote
As someone who doesn't read the books, is Asuna made more useful in this upcoming anime compared to the prev. SAO anime?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:40 am Reply with quote
The IP is now nostalgic enought for anime remakes. Save me from this hell... The LNs began in 2009 for reference. In itself a remake. 2009 was also when AoT began. S1 was in 2012.
The manga adaptation is pantyshot heaven now that I looked at it but sexism and SAO go hand in hand. What was I expecting?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pedram

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:57 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
As someone who doesn't read the books, is Asuna made more useful in this upcoming anime compared to the prev. SAO anime?

Asuna is the Main Character of Progressive along with Kirito.
There is huge amount of focus on her including even several parts completely from her narrative and PoV.
She is learning and getting better as the story progress as well (since she start as a noob but learn and get familiar with the system as story progress)

residentgrigo wrote:
The IP is now nostalgic enought for anime remakes. Save me from this hell... The LNs began in 2009 for reference. In itself a remake. 2009 was also when AoT began. S1 was in 2012.
The manga adaptation is pantyshot heaven now that I looked at it but sexism and SAO go hand in hand. What was I expecting?

SAO Progressive Light Novel itself started in 2012. and this isn't even a remake.
more of a mid-quel complementary story. The Main SAO Light Novels make references and talk about the events in SAO Progressive. even include characters from it later.

Also, Ignore the Progressive Manga as it's more like a Parody of the SAO Progressive Light Novels, with tons of Fanservice and Sarcastic jokes and change to the plot to make it more funny.
The Progressive Manga is not canon.
The Manga Artist used to be a Comedy Hentai Artist before this.

The Anime will adapt SAO Progressive Light Novels.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:32 am Reply with quote
The IP begins in 2022. That´s why this is happening now. I now get it. The most current arc is set in 2026 so the real world hasn´t fully caught up yet but that will happen at the end of the decade as the IP ain´t stopping. https://swordartonline.fandom.com/wiki/Unital_Ring_Arc
The author set his web novel 20 years in the future way back in 2002. He is about to live it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gonbawa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:10 am Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
Genuine question out of curiosity from someone not into SAO: What's the point of adapting Progressive into an anime when season one of SAO already exists?

Progressive was always pitched to me as just a bunch of side-stories filling in gaps in the events of the Aincrad arc, so I'm not sure what the intent is here.

While the 1st Aincrad novel is a set of short web novels glued together (you jump between levels 001, 024, 050, 074...), "Progressive" starts from the level 001 of Aincrad and climb "progressively" : so you follow the story of level 002, level 003, level 004...
This is the genuine story of Asuna and Kirito journey in Aincrad.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Xavon wrote:
Now the most important question; who is going to voice Kizmel?

Shizuka Itou has been playing her in all the console and mobile games.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Progressive isn't really a retcon. At least, not yet. Well, at least as far as the anime is concerned.

For people who have only watched the anime, all of the stuff that is currently in the progressive novels will not contradict anything... except for maybe episode 2 of the first season.

Episode 2 of season one, believe it or not, is actually an adaptation of a Progressive story. In fact, it's what spawned the entire Progressive series project. IIRC, Kawahara was tasked with writing an original episode for the anime, which eventually turned into the first story of the Progressive series. But for the anime, it is heavily, heavily, HEAVILY cut down and mutilated. But it is still a Progressive story. For that reason, I believe it's going to be fleshed out into a full multi-episode arch (probably like 6 episodes.) It would be the only thing that would directly overwrite canon from the first anime series.

I don't know how many episodes this anime is going to get, but I imagine it will take at least 12 episodes to cover volume 1. For reference, there are currently 6 volumes in this series. That also means that the story is only up to the 6th floor so far. Bit of a ways to go.

And, tbh, it probably would have been up to 7 by now if Kawahara didn't get involved with that horrible SAO movie.
Lin Liren

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:31 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

The author set his web novel 20 years in the future way back in 2002. He is about to live it.

Back in 2002 Kawahara severely underestimated the amount of memory one needs to construct a fully sentient A.I.

Yui-chan is said to occupy just 3 Terabytes of memory when the original online books were written. While that should be enough to allow her to answer "Simple Yes/No Questions" pertaining to cold-hard-facts like a Wikipedia with a voice, that is nowhere near enough for an entity like her that is capable of Complex Emotions like Love, Jealousy, Compassion, Joy, Sadness and Anger, let alone Genuine Empathy, or making Moral and Ethical Decisions based on aforementioned Emotions and Empathy. And that is before taking in account to the incalculable terabyte- upon terabyte of memories, both happy and sad, that she will gain in her lifetime.

And then you have to take into account how much memory is needed for her Superhuman-Hacking-Abilities that would make both Tony Stark and Jarvis short-circuit in shock. Wink

If Kawahara had known that by 2022 the pinnacle of High-End Computing would probably be a Playstation 5 Plus with 4 terabytes of memory, he would probably not have been so hasty in specing a program as Complex, Sentient and Powerful as Yui-Chan to be a mere 3 Terabytes. Razz Wink
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:45 am Reply with quote
Gonbawa wrote:
This is the genuine story of a part of Asuna and Kirito journey in Aincrad.

Corrected. Trust me, Reki's not gonna churn through all 74 floors in Progressive...
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:17 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
I don't know how many episodes this anime is going to get, but I imagine it will take at least 12 episodes to cover volume 1.

It won't. The Alicization arc was going through 40-50 pages of content per episode on average, and I would expect to see a similar adaptation rate for this. So 5-6 episodes per volumes seems likely.

Will be curious to see how long this is going to be. They might take it slow and only do the first four volumes in two cours (since volumes 5 and 6 are a two-parter), but we'll see. The pace of the Progressive novels is much more relaxed than that of the main series, so the content could be trimmed to the point of covering six volumes in two cours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
R315r4z0r wrote:
I don't know how many episodes this anime is going to get, but I imagine it will take at least 12 episodes to cover volume 1.

It won't. The Alicization arc was going through 40-50 pages of content per episode on average, and I would expect to see a similar adaptation rate for this. So 5-6 episodes per volumes seems likely.

I don't think that is going to be what happens. Alicization was very rushed, but that's because they wanted to get the entire story into something manageable to watch.

But the progressive volumes are fairly stand alone. There is an overarching plot line, but each floor has it's own story. There isn't a mad dash to complete all of the volumes. Plus, if they are planning on milking SAO for more money, I highly doubt they are going to rush through the volumes. It's more likely going to be at the pace of the first two anime seasons, which like I said before, is about 10-12 episodes per volume.

I mean, in 8 years, Kawahara wrote 6 volumes and still intends to release more. It seems silly to rush through the content and then just go on hiatus.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And, tbh, it probably would have been up to 7 by now if Kawahara didn't get involved with that horrible SAO movie.
I often feel like one of the few SAO fans who liked the movie just fine. It was basically Macross Plus with the SAO characters though obviously lacking Watanabe's talent. But it was what I expected from a filler in anime movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3