• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rent-A-Girlfriend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeehaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:28 am Reply with quote
This episode conviced me, the author of RAG is an incel. You cannot change my mind. Also No woman is gonna date Kuri because he is somehow even worse than Kuzuya so he's probably just gonna go right back to tweeting "onna-hate"
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm cheering the second season not because it's been satisfying, but because I'm hopeful that it will be in the second season.

I'll go further than the review: Stunting your characters' development for the sake of generic convention is the artistic equivalent of trotting your children out to the street to beg for money. Even they'll be ignored eventually.

Please be satisfying, current romantic comedy about characters past high school age that has more dramatic tension than Uzaki-chan. You're one of the few that exist, don't make me quit you.
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Narcissists write fiction that reflects a narcissistic world-view.

Once you see the patterns you see them everywhere.

[no, I haven't read nor watched Rent-A-Girlfriend. I've seen the patterns.]
ChimeyChime

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad that they had to review this godawful show. What a waste of time, indeed.
Charliedelga13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:52 pm Reply with quote
If you've read the manga, you'll know it won't get any better in seasonn 2... There's no comparison to a well thought story where characters do develop, like Nisekoi
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:53 pm Reply with quote
That episode was a complete character assassination of Chizuru. Up until now, she's been the adult in the room, for the most part. So there was absolutely no reason for her to wilt like a meek little flower before Mami's smug "I own you, bitch" behavior. Chizuru was never ashamed of her job, and was only concerned about being found out for Kazuya's sake. Once the shock of that wore off, for her to sit there and take Mami's abuse just made no sense. She could have easily taken control of the whole situation (especially when Mami derided her "fake smile" while wearing one of her own), but instead let Mami walk all over her.

Two questions: was Umi-kun with a rental girlfriend in the ending montage? And was Kibe Zooming with Kazuya's grandmother?!? Shocked
Dextres

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what words or thoughts I can convey about this finale of season 1...Objectively without sounding like a douche from Deadpool(marvel).

I guess I watch season 2 when it comes out.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I honestly have to wonder what was actually accomplished in this these three months. The characters are pretty much in the same positions they were at the beginning of the season. So what was the [expletive] point? Why do romcoms spin their wheels for so long before the inevitable winner of a harem just takes her prize.

Is it too much to ask for a romcom to have meaningful development, and end in a conclusive note? Between this and Oregairu's non-conclusive ending, I have to wonder if the entre genre is just an excuse for creators to milk their series for as much money as possible, because I bet you that people only care about the waifu wars and that will fuel this series` merch for the foreseeable future.

I feel so bitter towards this genre now, I'm going back to Kaguya...
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Kuzu wrote:
Between this and Oregairu's non-conclusive ending

But...Oregairu's done though? The series is over, that was the conclusion, that was the end of the story. There's no more light novels to adapt so there's not really anything to milk.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:23 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Kuzu wrote:

But...Oregairu's done though? The series is over, that was the conclusion, that was the end of the story. There's no more light novels to adapt so there's not really anything to milk.

haha, you'd think so but naw.

The author has confirmed there are more novels coming covering the third year with the Blurays. There's also a third visual novel coming too.

The fact that the ending was pretty open-ended meant that the author could do this sort of thing.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My biggest hope is that the team tasked with continuing this show eventually get to work on something that isn't being dragged down by its own story

Soooo.... who's gonna tell him...
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:
Quote:
My biggest hope is that the team tasked with continuing this show eventually get to work on something that isn't being dragged down by its own story

Soooo.... who's gonna tell him...

He did say eventually.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Kuzu wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Kuzu wrote:

haha, you'd think so but naw.

The author has confirmed there are more novels coming covering the third year with the Blurays. There's also a third visual novel coming too.

The fact that the ending was pretty open-ended meant that the author could do this sort of thing.

Okay but, the main series is done though, is the main point. A bonus story taking place afterward is just that, a bonus, and it's only included with the BDs. That's not "milking".

And these visual novels are never canon anyway so who cares about them. Konosuba, Re:Zero, even Oreimo had one.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:01 am Reply with quote
If the main story is completed, as you said, then what purpose do bonus novels serve beyond just artificially extending the story?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3