• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spriggan Netflix Anime Reveals Visual, Staff, 2021 Premiere

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:15 pm Reply with quote
oh, it's not CG?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
oh, it's not CG?

I would assume as much with David Productions.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Haven't see the movie in probably 15 years, but it was THE big deal in flashy anime action movies around 2000. Will be curious to see how it compares to the movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I could've sworn that the original Spriggan was released on bluray here in the us not too long ago. There was a bluray rip of it floating around the internet a few months and it looked to be a Sevakis job for Discotek.
Yu Ominae

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Be interested if (unlikely) casting gags will be done.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hiroshi Kobayashi (Rage of Bahamut Genesis assistant director, Kill la Kill episode director)

Oh, so we're just gonna pretend his biggest credits aren't directing Kiznaiver and Hisone and Masotan? That's cool, no problems there...
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I remember the original Spriggan being kind of mediocre.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh, it's ON! Definitely one of my most-anticipated releases. Thank goodness it's not CG, and David Pro has proven themselves more than capable with what they've done with Fire Force. I read three of the graphic novel compilations of the manga when it was released as Striker and saw the movie (which cobbled together different manga arcs), and this is a franchise begging for a TV series. It's a lot of fun. It's a Shonen Indiana Jones meets Rambo meets Ghost in the Shell. We still need a competent Vampire Hunter D TV series, but this is so awesome this is happening. I hope it lives up to the key visual there.

EDIT: Wait, I just realized that this might not be a straight adaptation of the manga. They might go into the idea of making some kind of remixed custom plot like they did for the movie. If so, I'm going to be a little bit more cautious. I think this would work best as a serial with standalone episodes and interconnected episodes like in the manga. They really need to follow the manga a good amount, at least in the framework, for this to sing, in my opinion.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Visual looks nice. I need to see a trailer first because we aint in 1998 no more.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:41 am Reply with quote
The manga has its rough spots, but it's really interesting on paper. IMO can do a lot with some dynamic action scenes.

The MC is basically assigned to exotic places around the globe, dealing with a lot of powerful lost artifacts, and gets to meet a lot of love interests that don't appear again afterwards. With some reworking with the writing, it could be really, really good.

Definitely looking forward to it.
IdeaOfEvil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:38 am Reply with quote
Finally! I've been waiting for anything to be said about this and that long missing Vampire Hunter D series to come out...
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:27 am Reply with quote
The manga is kinda bleh and the film only stood out due to its animation but I will admit that its premise of a mind and body enhanced teen bounty hunter still fits the same market demand 30 later. Anime continues to be stuck in a time loop.

The IP has a noticeable hate boner against America. I wonder what will be done on that front this time around. It would be hilarious if that aspect stuck around! There was also a really weird Hitler arc that ended with him getting a redemptive death.

An ultra direct adaptation could end up being hilarious and DP certainly chose a writer who makes those.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yu Ominae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:21 am Reply with quote
You able to read all the volumes, including the bonus chapters?

I'll have to wait and see if DP will pull a Banana Fish on it. But I'll come out and say out that some of the anti-Western rhetoric aimed at America, the UK (Russia gets the jab here too) is relevant right now, considering that some of the chapters do go to the Middle East and parts of Southeast Asia where conflict is still there.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this keeps the goofy stuff that the movie cut out (even from the few chapters it adapted). The werewolves, vampires, bulletproof soul-eating winged lions, etc. are a nice balance to the killer cyborgs and mercenaries.

But the real question is: will they leave in the one sympathetic Nazi who gives a big speech about how being inherently superior to other people means he has a duty to protect and uplift them? (It's in volume 7 of the 8-volume edition.) It through me for a loop when I read it a decade ago and recent events certainly haven't made it any less hilarious/uncomfortable (depending on how you react to these things and how much they affect you). I do hope the Crystal Skull and Holy Grail arcs are intact, though. They're just too memeable to cut.
residentgrigo wrote:

An ultra direct adaptation could end up being hilarious and DP certainly chose a writer who makes those.

Is this from the old partial translation that got published as Striker? I'm sad they didn't go for a more literal translation of that panel ("It seems I am finally free of the curse of fascism. Thank you. All of you helped make this possible.").
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
This is great!! I loved the movie back in the day and the manga was interesting. I hope they adapt more of the manga, It had some interesting stories I would love to see animated!

I'll have to go watch the movie again soon. Can not wait!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2