• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: PlayStation Details PS5 to PS4 Backward Compatibility, Including PS4 Games That Won't Work on

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikura

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:39 am Reply with quote
They could have easily made ps1 and ps2 game available as backward compabiity. I understand it would have been nearly impossible to do it with the digital only version. But they could have found an online digital way to do it.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:57 am Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
They could have easily made ps1 and ps2 game available as backward compabiity. I understand it would have been nearly impossible to do it with the digital only version. But they could have found an online digital way to do it.

I never understood why PlayStation won't make their systems backwards compatible with all their previous systems. Since they never used cartridges, you'd think it be pretty simple to let people have an all in one system to play all PlayStation games but meh what do I know?
Kadenza

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:24 am Reply with quote
The 2 Joe's Diner fans are in shambles.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:33 am Reply with quote
hikura wrote:

And exactly what makes you think it would be so easy?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:45 am Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
hikura wrote:

I never understood why PlayStation won't make their systems backwards compatible with all their previous systems. Since they never used cartridges, you'd think it be pretty simple to let people have an all in one system to play all PlayStation games but meh what do I know?

If Windows 10 isn't able to natively execute 16-bit programs/applications/games from Windows 95/98 era, then why do you think it would be easy for PS5 to be able to play PS1 and PS2 games?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:49 am Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:

PS1 and a lot of PS2 discs probably won't work if PS5 lacks support for cd-rom, but digital compatibility should be easy enough. However PS3 is an entirely different ballgame because of the architecture involved.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:58 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:

And exactly what makes you think it would be so easy?

Because at this point you should be able to emulate PS1 games on a toaster, and PS2 games can't be that far behind that? This is hardly an insurmountable technical issue.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Sony has its own PS 1/2 emulators and any basic modern laptop can run most PS2 games at 4k 60 with at least 8x anisotropic filtering. Just try it out.
PS1, PS2 and PSP emulation would have been an easy feat to achieve but the PS5 basically having the whole PS4 + VR library on day one is obviously not to be overlooked. Sony overachieved. Let's see if more will come in a few years.

PS: The Switch can run PS1 and PSP games better than the original hardware. PS2 games at full speed are a pipe dream though. That´s how easy this could have been.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:25 pm Reply with quote
But that would be emulation, not backwards comptability, and the complaint would then be about how janky the emulation is. As it always is.

Hell, just look at the Playstation Classic and see that Sony emulation isn't anywhere near where some of you think it is, and that was a device that was completely dedicated to emulation of just a tiny portion of the PS1 catalogue.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/3/18123851/playstation-classic-pal-games-emulation
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:05 pm Reply with quote
SOOO glad that 99% of PS4 games can be played on the PS5. Which is great news to me since I missed out on the PS4.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
But that would be emulation, not backwards comptability, and the complaint would then be about how janky the emulation is. As it always is.

Hell, just look at the Playstation Classic and see that Sony emulation isn't anywhere near where some of you think it is, and that was a device that was completely dedicated to emulation of just a tiny portion of the PS1 catalogue.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/3/18123851/playstation-classic-pal-games-emulation

I don’t want to be rude, but did you link the right article? If you read that, it doesn’t actually say much about the emulation itself - it mostly just talks about how Sony used the PAL versions of the games when those won’t run right to begin with compared to the NTSC ones.

Though if you click through to the Digital Foundry article, there is obviously more technical analysis, yes. But it talks about how they used an open source emulator and maybe picked poorly on that front, and that the Vita emulator was better for some games, etc. etc. They certainly don’t say that it’s inherently impossible to emulate PS1 games well, and it’s important to keep in mind that it’s not like the Classic was designed to be the best PS1 emulation device possible for the games on it - it was meant to be a novelty you’d buy out of nostalgia, and apparently the lack of effort showed.

So I don’t think the relatively cheaply made $100 device (that was already technically more powerful than a PS1) from years ago being unable to run PS1 games well due to some poor choices is enough to conclude that a new $500 device also can’t run them well. Especially as I’ve heard people have modded their Classics and using other PS1 emulators on them actually does work better. Certainly there are some games even on something more powerful like the PS5 that aren’t going to be 100% accurate just due to emulation quirks, sure, but I doubt the majority of the games would be janky.

Personally, I am weirdly ok with plugging in my PS2 or PS3 as needed (hell, same for DS, PSP, etc. too) even if I’d rather not. I’ve done it even in the past year for certain games. But it would be kinda nice to see them go for it as a way of matching Microsoft’s focus on it, even if there’d be less compatibility and maybe having to skip PS3 entirely? But I expect we’ll just end up seeing the same thing we’ve seen on both PS3 and PS4: rebuying slightly remastered PS2 games on the PSN store.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Aren't less than 10% of original Xbox games backwards compatible? There are only 39 games listed on the Xbox One backwards compatible website and there are like 1,000 games made for the original Xbox.

So I'm not seeing where Microsoft is any better other than with their 360 games backwards compatibility, and there's a pretty obvious reason why PS3 games can be so difficult to emulate.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:

You're acting as if the PS2 and PS3 didn't have BC for all previous consoles before them. PS4 misses it then all of a sudden people forget (or maybe they didn't forget and instead they started gaming during the PS4 generation).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

So I'm not seeing where Microsoft is any better other than with their 360 games backwards compatibility.

Which unfortunately is janky in it's own right, since there are some discs which will not play on the One for "reasons".
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:30 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
So I'm not seeing where Microsoft is any better other than with their 360 games backwards compatibility

Close to 600 Xbox 360 games play on literally every Xbox system to come after the 360. Literally 0 PS3 games are playable on anything but a PS3. 0 games and nearly 600 games are pretty much the same number to you?

Rob19ny wrote:
You're acting as if the PS2 and PS3 didn't have BC for all previous consoles before them.

They removed it from PS3 pretty early in it's life. People act like it's not there because for most PS3s, it wasn't. Sony had a great track record on this until they didn't. They went from total backwards compatibility to we'll sell you the old game for $60 all over again being their approach to backwards compatibility.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2