• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Eternal Anime Films Reveal Trailer, Visual, Cast Member

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I dunno why, but this doesn't seem as exciting as I thought it would be.

It's oddly underwhelming-- the animation style is bright and colorful, but it doesn't look as good as season 3.

Helios looks pretty nice tho.
Kadenza

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:38 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
the animation style is bright and colorful, but it doesn't look as good as season 3.

Slightly confused, do you mean the character designs or the composite?
At least animation wise (as in movement) Eternal looks above previous seasons from the little snippets that we can see.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:24 pm Reply with quote
It really doesn't sit well with me that the bank animation is copying Ikuko Itoh's designs but, thus far, I haven't seen anything crediting her. Regardless of whether they're using Tadano's designs, Itoh was the one that planned out those segments, so it seems unfair that she isn't being properly credited as the person who created those sequences.

And as much as I think highly of Tadano, I don't think the animation in the film looks anywhere as good as the bank sequences featured in SuperS.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I think the animation looks great.

A rough translation of the trailer:

Helios: Maidens...Maidens with beautiful dreams...the time has come.
Usagi: The sun eclipses the moon?
Chibiusa: The real me...wants to be like Usagi.
Makoto: At this rate, the senshi won’t have anything to fight for.
Rei: Will I never be able to realize my dream?
Helios: Help me, o chosen maidens. I have finally found you.
Mercury spirit: [to Sailor Mercury] Open your eyes! Remember your true dream!
Usagi: Time after time, we fought together, we did our best together...I will definitely protect this planet, protect him [Mamoru], and protect everyone!
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:42 pm Reply with quote
The animation looks better than all three seasons, if you ask me, Minako running looks smoother than previous ones I've seen. My thoughts are:

Lazy reuse of 90's Moon Crisis Make Up (also looks like they reused Venus' Season 3 Planet Power but it does look like they redrew it to be neater and sharper and the backgrounds are different) and Mercury's brooch still being incorrectly drawn as a circle instead of a heart during her attack sequence (although that's more like a "blink and you'll miss it" thing), it looks pretty good, and during the scene with the Power Guardians (YAY Very Happy) the detail with Ami underwater is kinda almost like a combination of the manga version and reminds me somewhat of how the 90's version episode (Episode 151, best episode of the season) depicted it when Ami was standing on top of water, a way of bringing back nostalgia for the original anime somewhat whilst still being faithful to the manga, which is impressive.

Hope it turns out good, the manga arc for this was the best arc, and Toei Animation is actually trying, although it only might just meet my expectations and not exceed them if it's just a shot by shot imitation of the manga arc, although unlike the first two arcs (and parts of the third arc), which felt to me like they ended up being made boring and unappealing, it actually doesn't look like that's the case here.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Kadenza wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:
the animation style is bright and colorful, but it doesn't look as good as season 3.

Slightly confused, do you mean the character designs or the composite?
At least animation wise (as in movement) Eternal looks above previous seasons from the little snippets thpat we can see.

Hmm...the character designs. I think out of all seasons, 3 looked the best and perhaps more detailed.

I'm not a fan of this style, even if it's supposed to look similar to the 90's series.

I especially hate the rehashed transformation scene.
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Love the trailer! Not only does it look great, but the number of scenes I recognized from the manga helped put my mind at ease. Doesn't look like they'll be cutting out as much as I feared!

Here's a video with Nehellenia's new VA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGjeCuY5Wlc&feature=youtu.be

Yoshiko Sakakibara's going to be a tough act to follow.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Finally getting a faithful adaptation of the Dream arc has been one of the main reasons I've been supporting Crystal in spite of past issues and delays and I'm excited that it seems to be paying off. I'm really hyped that we're going to get to see manga content that I don't believe has been adapted before like the Sailor Power Guardians and spoiler[Sailor Phobos and Deimos] who I was surprised wasn't included in the trailer but I give Toei credit for keeping that a surprise for casual 90s anime fans who might not have read the manga yet.

I also wish we could have got to see the Amazon Trio and Quartet in action but I was surprised they already revealed Nehelenia. I'm not familiar with her actress but her design looks great. The animation quality is about what I was expecting from this movie which I wasn't expecting it to be a huge leap in quality from the show but just a slight tweaking of the season three designs mixed in with more 90s nostalgia. I'm not all that bothered by the 90s nostalgia because the 90s call backs already existed in Crystal even going back to the first season with the I will punish you animation and season two brought back some of the 90s inspired stock footage for Burning Mandala and Venus Love Me Chain.

Season three added even more with the Outers' transformations and more of the attacks that were also 90s redraws like Moon Spiral Heart Attack and Mercury Aqua Mirage. Crystal has always been a mix of being faithful to the manga source material and 90s anime callbacks as the 90s version is still the most popular with the fandom. What matters most to me is if this movie actually looks like a finished professional product and if it can avoid some of the Toei wonkyness that's been an issue with previous seasons and other Toei properties like the new Digimon reboot, I'll be satisfied. Now I hope we'll also get some information soon about what the plan is for the English release of the Eternal movies as Viz hasn't said anything so far about it even though it's coming out in Japan in three months. It should be noted the first three seasons of Crystal are about to expire on Hulu in a few days. I don't think that will have any impact on Viz's license and it doesn't seem to be vanishing from Crunchyroll and the DVDs and BDs are still in print, but Hulu was the only site streaming the dub in the US.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:39 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I dunno why, but this doesn't seem as exciting as I thought it would be.

It's oddly underwhelming-- the animation style is bright and colorful, but it doesn't look as good as season 3.

To think this took 3 years (4 if we count this virus-related delay) and it turned out looking about as ugly as the first 2 seasons which took almost as long (2 years).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:53 am Reply with quote
The big cause for the delay for Eternal seemed to be difficulty with writing the script and not the animation production likely due to having to condense everything into a movie format. Osabu said as much when he came to Anime Matsuri that they were still writing the script and they ended up hiring the Jojo's guy to write the script for the movie and getting rid of their previous script writer. Eternal's art style and animation really doesn't seem all that significantly different to me from we got with season three which while it improved on some things from the first two seasons, it still suffered from some animation errors and wonky faces which didn't get any BD corrections like the first two seasons did and the transformations were a bit of a mix to me in s3.

The biggest improvement to s3 seemed to be with the choreography and fluidity of the fight scenes and better facial expressions but it still was fairly average compared to other modern anime shows like Fire Force and SAO. Personally I liked the art style of the first two seasons which in spite of it's issues seemed to aim to be more influenced by Naoko's elegant super model style from the manga and trying to be a mix of it's own identity but having some 90s nostalgia, and the animation started to improve in s2. But the fandom wanted Crystal to be even more like the 90s anime which s3 also leaned heavily into that nostalgia so here we are. But if we can just have this movie avoid some of more embarrassing errors of past seasons I will call it a day even if that's kind of a low bar for the franchise.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:27 am Reply with quote
Looking good.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:49 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

The biggest improvement to s3 seemed to be with the choreography and fluidity of the fight scenes and better facial expressions but it still was fairly average compared to other modern anime shows like Fire Force and SAO. Personally I liked the art style of the first two seasons which in spite of it's issues seemed to aim to be more influenced by Naoko's elegant super model style from the manga and trying to be a mix of it's own identity but having some 90s nostalgia, and the animation started to improve in s2. But the fandom wanted Crystal to be even more like the 90s anime which s3 also leaned heavily into that nostalgia so here we are. But if we can just have this movie avoid some of more embarrassing errors of past seasons I will call it a day even if that's kind of a low bar for the franchise.

I haven't watched either of the shows you've mentioned above, but I'm not sure if I could get on that comparison either way.

Mind you, I liked the designs of season 1, but it didn't flow well when animated (I know this is mostly because of the studio that handled it). I believe that season 3 was a healthy mix, despite deviating from the original adaptation.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm hearing Taishi Murata replaced Yoohei Oobayashi as Artemis? Weird having a VA change this late in the game, but I always thought Yoohei was miscast as him so I welcome the change.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:57 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The big cause for the delay for Eternal seemed to be difficulty with writing the script and not the animation production likely due to having to condense everything into a movie format.

Considering the manga feels like (and arguably was intended to be) just a rough draft for the anime, I can already imagine how rushed this movie is gonna feel. All style and no substance. Hope I'm wrong though.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:19 am Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:

Considering the manga feels like (and arguably was intended to be) just a rough draft for the anime, I can already imagine how rushed this movie is gonna feel. All style and no substance. Hope I'm wrong though.

I'm worried it's going to have the same problems the first two seasons (and part of the third) had, just sticking to a shot by shot adaptation, not fixing or improving upon whatever flaws were there, (or making changes that make it not faithful/worse) where it ends up even being more lifeless/limited in comparison to the manga/other Sailor Moon stuff, to the point where it's just a clone where if you read the manga, there's no need to watch the Crystal/Eternal version, and I hate to compare it to the original since it's a manga adaptation, but despite having no filler episodes, Crystal still had far less substance than both the original anime and manga.

I do hope I'm wrong, but I don't know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2