• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:42 am Reply with quote
I’m really enjoying this so far, and agree that every subsequent episode has been better than the previous one. I gave the premier 3 stars because it felt like an InuYasha filler episode, and seemed to focus on some annoying aspects of the series to evoke nostalgia (InuYasha *still* hiding info about Kikyo from Kagome because he’s afraid she’ll get upset? Aren’t they basically married already at this point?). The best part was seeing Sango still kicking butt after having 3 kids....
...But where is Sango? Where is everyone? The detail from the second episode that had me wondering “WTF?” the most, besides the awful gender stereotyping (Towa looks fantastic in her suit, and she’s a skilled fighter who protects people. Get off her back, Higurashi fam) was Setsuna, Hisui and even Kohaku not knowing who Moroha was. Something really bad must have happened to all their parents for the kids not to even recognize each other. So I guess that’ll be the big mystery of the show. I hope the answer is a bit more complex than “magic butterflies and demon nonsense,” although I’m not sure what reasoning would be satisfying.
They better not have killed any of the female characters in childbirth, that’ll piss me off.

As for who reproduced with Seshomaru, my crack theory is “Jaken via magic cloning” but we all know it’s gonna be Rin. It doesn’t bother me as much as it would if I sensed any intention from Seshomaru. My headcanon is that it was all her idea after she was at least 18. I just have to know why she wasn’t able to raise them.
jelsea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:52 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I just have to know why she wasn’t able to raise them.

Please don't let it be she died in childbirth, though I have a horrible suspicion it might be, why else would Seshy take his newborn twins from the village. It could be he is mad at the village that Rin died and took them to raise himself.
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:00 am Reply with quote
That controversy over Rin and Sesshomaru is super overblown.

A. He never was her adoptive father figure, Jaken fits that bill a lot better. He never did anything to raise and care for her beyond slaying the odd demon, and she tagged along with him at her own pleasure until she was left in Kaede's care.
B. Estimates have been made that Rin would've likely been 17 if she's the mother, a year older than Sango was when she had her twins. Plus Sess' age as a demon dog is equivalent to 19 in human years.
C. The definition of grooming is "psychologically preparing a child for sexual abuse" and nothing Sesshomaru did in regards to RIn fits that definition.

Nobody gets their panties in a twist over the also centuries old Inuyasha getting with a 16 year old human girl, nor Koga promising to marry Ayame when she was a child, nor (for a non-anime example) the over two millennium year old Arwen marrying her human foster brother Aragorn in LOTR.

Get a grip people, stop and think before you get upset at something so benign.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:51 am Reply with quote
I don't know anything about the original series, but I am up for a main character that bucks gender a little. I hope that it stays a part of Towa's character.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:18 am Reply with quote
jelsea wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
I just have to know why she wasn’t able to raise them.

Please don't let it be she died in childbirth, though I have a horrible suspicion it might be, why else would Seshy take his newborn twins from the village. It could be he is mad at the village that Rin died and took them to raise himself.

I feel like killing off Rin(if she really dies) is forced and it's a cheap cliche. The writers at Sunrise will ruin and kill off some OG characters from InuYasha in Yashahime, like Boruto anime. I will be more disappointed if Kagome dies too.
Rare286

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:27 am Reply with quote
So far I've been really enjoying the sequel! I wasn't sure about it when I first heard that it was coming out, but it's been fun to see both old and new characters. I'm interested to see how the rainbow pearls thing is gonna work out and how many other characters will have rainbow pearls. Like are we gonna meet Koga's children too? Because I'm all for that.

And, I'm just gonna put this out there, I agree that Sesshomaru is definitely not a 'father' figure to Rin. He didn't make any choices for her, other than bringing her to back to life. He let her choose what she wanted to do with her life and was mostly there to protect her when she was getting attacked by a demon. She didn't want to be with humans, so he let her follow him since that was her choice. She needed to make the choice herself. Does he protect her? Yes, but that because of their lord/vassal relationship and she is the first human to show him kindness, compassion and change his attitude towards humans.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:26 am Reply with quote
I liked the original InuYasha, but I haven't watched the final arcs.

I'll watch Yashahime, just because of InuYasha, but I am not sure I am going to really like what they have done with InuYasha, Kagome, and their daughter, Moroha.

Key question is, who raised Moroha and for how long. Since she is not a feral child, somebody raised her.
- If InuYasha and Kagome raised her until recently, and she got kidnapped and brainwiped. Well that would fit things to a degree, and then they would have to get her memories back.
- But, if InuYasha and Kagome lost Moroha a long time ago, and someone else raised her, well that person is her family, and InuYasha and Kagome are a bunch of strangers. That would be a very sad and tragic plot line, even permanently losing her memories of her parents would be equally bad. Sort of like what the movie Alien 3, did to the happy ending at the end of Alien 2.

If the writers have gone this route, are they just going to handwave away all the ramifications and pain this will have caused. Cause reality shows there rarely is a true happy ending to these things.

Begs the question also, who died because of this. If Moroha was kidnapped, there should be a trail of bodies in InuYasha and Kagome's path. If there isn't, that is a big red flag against the show.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I hope they just never reveal who Sesshomaru banged. Just side-step the topic at every chance. That'd be hilarious and par for the course for a Rumiko Takahashi inspired story.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:20 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
I hope they just never reveal who Sesshomaru banged. Just side-step the topic at every chance. That'd be hilarious and par for the course for a Rumiko Takahashi inspired story.

This is my favorite comment today! Very Happy
DQBunny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

This happens when the title of the show and the name of the protagonist are in common. There's a feature which, once activated for a title, automatically italicizes all occurrences of the title, regardless of context. There is a coding trick which can negate the italicizing from being applied to character name uses, but it's a bit of a pain to use if the character name comes up several times.

Thank you! <3 I was very curious about that, and I totally understand internal coding fixes in CMS being a complete and utter pain.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:39 pm Reply with quote
My thoughts aline with this review pretty well. Hopefully it continues to improve, but I hope we get more info regarding the main characters, because that's my primary thought while watching so far. What happened to the previous cast that left things in this state? You'd think Kagome's family would be asking what happened to their daughter asap (though that's likely the next episode). Though apparently I missed the part where Moroha said she forgot her past too??
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Roadwarior2 wrote:
That controversy over Rin and Sesshomaru is super overblown.

A. He never was her adoptive father figure, Jaken fits that bill a lot better. He never did anything to raise and care for her beyond slaying the odd demon, and she tagged along with him at her own pleasure until she was left in Kaede's care.

I have to disagree. If we look at this relationship from a stereotypical perspective, he was a father. Inuyasha's writing has always relied upon stereotypes to define its characters. Besides, if you look at anime/manga of its time and earlier, Inuyasha is definitely not alone in this.

Jaken has always been the "mother"-figure in Rin's life while Sesshomaru was the distant "father"-type.

Here's an interview that supposedly talks about the relationship between the two:

http://bbs.feiair.com/viewthread.php?tid=1662&extra=&page=1 (Chinese, I can't read it)
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/perfectedition/help-me-find-a-rumiko-takahashi-interview-t4589.html (Where I found the interview)

*EDIT* Found a rough translation through the tapatalk link. Based upon that interview in 2011, Rumiko Takahashi wasn't even thinking a ship for Sesshomaru/Rin, let alone a father/daughter relationship. It was more of Rin representing human emotions that Sesshomaru didn't know how to respond to. One could almost say he had her around as a social experiment. From this, it appears that in the end, Sesshomaru's own feelings about Rin were irrelevant to the story and were left ambiguous on purpose.

Last edited by SaitoHajime101 on Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Willo567 wrote:
Dextres wrote:
This series just cries cringe with each passing second.

Have to stay strong.

What's been cringe about it?

Speaking for myself only I enjoyed these episodes but if Rin is the mother I may drop this show. I’m pretty tired of this whole “it’s okay cause we’re not blood-related” bullshit.

Eeeyeah, that's really on the back of my mind. And especially bad since there was a short arc in the original series (shortly after Sango joined the party) that is devoted to dunking on Miroku for having done his "have my child" shtick with an actual child years prior.

As for the show itself, off to a good start with the trio and hopefully they address what happened to their folks. Also interesting how they're actually making time travel more substantial.
AholePony

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Interesting interpretations so far in this thread. If you watched even a dozen episodes of Inuyasha, then you should know that his kid, Moroha, has obviously inherited his "wild child" attitude. I'm certain she just ran off to be a demon slayer because her ADHD demanded it. Did I miss any lines where she even mentioned her parents? Unless I did, I don't think they gave up on raising her or she forgot them or anything. She's just off doing her own thing.

To the review, I guess spoiler alert but at the end of Final Act spoiler[Kagome decided to marry Inuyasha and live in his time. They sealed the well behind them to protect the modern world from any issues. That's why her brother has never met or heard of her child.]

As to why Sessomaru would put his kids into this "trail", that's extremely on-brand for him. He's all about survival of the fittest and he's probably a little at odds over having mixed children after all the crap he gave Inuyasha for not being a pure blooded demon. None of that is a mystery to me. Who is and what happened to the mother of course is though!
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:27 am Reply with quote
I do have a problem with the power scale, it makes no sense that Towa can avoid Setsuna's attacks, Setsuna is a trained demon slayer while Towa has just fought random bullies, it sincerely makes no sense.

Outside of that well, it fits Takahashi's random writing style with half explained stuff and a lot of questions left on the air that may be addressed later (or not while hoping you forgot them), thus, I can't complain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 29