• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Microsoft Announces 30 Launch-Day Games for Xbox Series X/S Consoles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikura

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Key word there is optimized. These games were made not just for the next gen.
Kadenza

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, the title is quite misleading.
Gundam0084

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:33 am Reply with quote
Microsoft has zero first party exclusives available at launch for the X/S. Did no one at Xbox HQ even think about that?
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:52 am Reply with quote
Gundam0084 wrote:
Microsoft has zero first party exclusives available at launch for the X/S. Did no one at Xbox HQ even think about that?
Halo Infinite was supposed to be their main launching title - and I'm sure was the only one they had planned for as a first-party launch exclusive - but then it was delayed until next year.
Gundam0084

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Gundam0084 wrote:
Halo Infinite was supposed to be their main launching title - and I'm sure was the only one they had planned for as a first-party launch exclusive - but then it was delayed until next year.

Yeah. I heard about that probably back when you did (months ago). That still doesn't excuse them. To heavily rely on one first party exclusive for the launch of your new platform isn't the smartest idea. Microsoft has regressed in terms of console launches since the 360.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:56 am Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
Key word there is optimized. These games were made not just for the next gen.

Agreed. Launch-day games implies new games available with the consoles, not updated versions of games that are already out. I don't think Halo Infinite missing release day would be quite as much of a big deal if Microsoft had 30 other brand new games ready.

I have to wonder about how much oversight Microsoft had with Infinite until recently. Promotional tie-ins, the box for the system, and other marketing centered around Halo at launch. It wasn't until they showed that footage a few months ago when people pointed out that it somehow looked worse than prior games that we found out that it was an older trailer with footage running from a PC and not an Xbox. Throw in the staff increases and changes after that, and what some of the dev team has said, and it seems like Microsfot had no idea that 343 wasn't going to have it ready.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1