• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SAG-AFTRA Lists English Dub for Kuroko's Basketball Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:13 pm Reply with quote
So, it's gonna be on Netflix soon...with an union dub. (Also, I read that Unforeseen Productions is another name for BangZoom)
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I think Netflix recently signed a SAG-AFTRA agreement that makes all of their produced dubs union now.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I kind of assumed this was dubbed by now.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Oh dang, this is some awesome news. I actually came up with a (incomplete) hypothetical cast list for a dub that actually had some union names on there. I should break it out to see which predictions wind up being correct. (Once I replace Vic Mignogna as my pick for Kise, that is.)
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:03 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I think Netflix recently signed a SAG-AFTRA agreement that makes all of their produced dubs union now.

Yeah, they had produced a couple as far back as 2018 but have went full force since signing the agreement in July of last year so pretty much everything Netflix has dubbed in LA since is union.
TenTen143

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I was honestly hoping the series would be released for home video by like... SentaiFilmworks or even Viz... I've been waiting for so long for a BD/DVD release and just to only be on netflix :/ I honestly wouldn't have minded if the BD/DVD was only japanese audio with english subs TvT
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:10 pm Reply with quote
With more Netflix shows actually getting home video releases nowadays, it's probably still likely Kuroko can get a BD release but I was also expecting Sentai to get this. I guess they didn't want two basketball shows after Ahiru no Sora? Is anyone still watching that show?
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm... cautiously optimistic about this. Like, I'm hoping for a good dub whenever one is announced, but even if KuroBas gets a poor one I'll STILL be happy for this if it means the series finally gets a physical release and I can add it to my collection.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:08 am Reply with quote
Can someone explain to me a simple as possible how SAG-AFTRA and the Union works? I know some project are restricted it, but that's about it.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:25 am Reply with quote
BlueRex666 wrote:
Can someone explain to me a simple as possible how SAG-AFTRA and the Union works? I know some project are restricted it, but that's about it.

This would help. https://www.sagaftra.org/production-center/contract/895/getting-started
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:44 pm Reply with quote
If this means more dubs on the level of the Great Pretender one, then this is good news.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:12 pm Reply with quote
It'll be cool to see Kuroko's Basketball finally dubbed. Looking forward to seeing what the cast is like (and with it being Union, we might get a few surprising names).
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:21 pm Reply with quote
A shame their Eva redub wasn’t union (the original Death/Rebirth and End of Eva dubs were). It could’ve probably turned out better.

BlueRex666 wrote:

In this case, it gives them access to more (and arguably better) voice talent. I don’t think the pay is much more here. It’s more about the contract. The union has certain production standards that must be met. I’ve done both union and non-union work on-camera and am SAG-Eligible. Anime dubs are often not union to avoid the paperwork. Contrary to popular belief, you can have union contracts in right-to-work states like Texas and Virginia (where I live).
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:29 pm Reply with quote
With me,I don't have a problem with something like this. Just as long as "Kuroko's Basketball" finally gets a dub,it's all right with me.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:26 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, you can have union contracts in right-to-work states like Texas and Virginia (where I live).

Yeah, this was confirmed by Chris Sabat in regards to the Yuki-chan dub since half of the cast were FUNi regulars and recording from his studio in Dallas. They all had to sign contracts to participate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2