• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ghost shrouds, a living cloth demon. (Think a diaphanous Rollo Cloth from GeGeGe no Kitarō.)

I might be wrong, but I think the inspiration for said monster is more "recent". What characterizes Rollo Cloth is its small size and continuous flying ability. I think this monsters come from the Sheet Phantom, published in the AD&D Fiend Folio (1981), famous for having wacky monsters in its repertoire:

https://twitter.com/joehills/status/915018407271116800/photo/1

Man, writing posts for this series is so hard, I want to spill the beans so hard Anime hyper I have been keeping with the japanese weekly releases and I am sad that this adaption will barely scratch the surface. At least Doga Kobo does not disappoint.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:44 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

Man, writing posts for this series is so hard, I want to spill the beans so hard Anime hyper

Right? This is the first time I've had so much trouble biting my tongue, especially since we'll barely get through any of the manga. spoiler[I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the slumber party, but...]

I hadn't seen that Fiend guide! Thank you! That definitely looks more like the inspiration; ittan momen (as a monster, not a character) just seemed like the closest thing I could think of.
HannoX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:17 pm Reply with quote
The demons are learning what a real demon is like! To Syalis the demons are just objects to be used for her own selfish desire (understandable, but still selfish) for a good night's sleep--the ghost shrouds to be cut up into sheets, the demon cleric used to sand down a coffin, etc. I don't know if the story is familiar in Japan or if it inspired this story, but The Ransom of Red Chief certainly comes to mind. I can't imagine things will go any better for Dawner and his party than for the demons when they encounter Syalis. So nice to see a princess who's not just a pretty face sitting around waiting to be rescued with no agency of her own.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I hadn't seen that Fiend guide! Thank you! That definitely looks more like the inspiration; ittan momen (as a monster, not a character) just seemed like the closest thing I could think of.

While it's inevitable that we won't get to some of the more recent arcs, the characters depicted in the OP and how they decided to skim over some of the more iterative chapters have given me hope that we will get to see a sizeable chunk of the good stuff that comes after the early shenanigans.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:34 pm Reply with quote
A colorful and cheerful delight that's also quite morbid, what's not to love? It's certainly one of the standouts of the season, especially in how relentless it is in its premise: Sleepy princess, demon castle. Repeat.

Wait, did she just pick up the Necronomicon... and throw it away?
-Summons demon named Alazif-
Fine, not just that Necronomicom but also that Necronomicon. Somebody did their homework.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm really digging this one, but I'm also super happy to hear it develops a plot down the line. It's a funny show but I could see its one main joke of "Princess only cares about sleep" wearing thin after five or six episodes of it.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:56 pm Reply with quote
The shield is definitely the recurring Tempest Shield (Fūjin no Tate, also translated as Aeolus Shield in earlier localizations) from the Dragon Quest series. My wife also is certain that the shots of her with the giant shears are meant to evoke theClock Tower series of games.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoying this so far. Nice to see there's a plot coming though to keep it from wearing thin. Though after seeing 3 episodes it might have held out for the season.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:25 am Reply with quote
Hold up...she's being rescued by the Dawner Party?? Well that certainly doesn't sound ominous... Twisted Evil

When they throw up the screen introducing new challenges, there's a sound effect in the music that sounds like someone knocking on my front door and it keeps scaring the bejeezus out of me. They need to stop that.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:59 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Really enjoying this so far. Nice to see there's a plot coming though to keep it from wearing thin. Though after seeing 3 episodes it might have held out for the season.

Don't expect the plot to be very extensive and all-encompasing though.
The world and the characters develop, but it's still mostly about the princess' ludicrous plan of the week.
TheAnonymousUsual

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:10 pm Reply with quote
One of the running gags is that the Princess takes priceless magical artifacts and judges them purely by how useful they are in obtaining good sleep, often destroying them in the process, and never using them for their intended purpose.

She has great commitment and focus. She's like the John Wick of sleep.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Nice obligatory Ashita no Joe reference in episode three. It's everywhere!
me_barron

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:44 pm Reply with quote
This show is so dumb. I love it.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
All of those Detective Conan references when she was introducing the segment where she shrank were really funny! I wonder if the manga did that too, or if it was an embellishment by the anime (like what Kaguya-sama's anime does).
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:15 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
All of those Detective Conan references when she was introducing the segment where she shrank were really funny! I wonder if the manga did that too, or if it was an embellishment by the anime (like what Kaguya-sama's anime does).

The Detective Conan parody was included in the manga version as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5