• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: TONIKAWA: Over The Moon For You

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:49 am Reply with quote
Some additional notes about our suspicious heroine:

1) Totally unscathed when next seen less than five minutes after taking the brunt of a truck

2) Knows her historical trivia (moon landing, women's care products)

3) By this point in the manga, spoiler[has appeared dressed for different eras and places even outside Japan] on chapter title pages.

Assuming that she is an ageless immortal in the fullest sense, (actual Princess Kaguya but drank the immortality potion?) then the OP perfectly captures why she fell for Nasa. He shook up her miserable malaise and brought color back to her unending life.

Or maybe she's just a history nerd going for the long con. *shrugs*
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I have completely different thoughts on the effectiveness of the comedy. I thought the premiere didn't land all that hard (although it didn't seem like that episode was trying particularly hard to be funny), but the most recent episode is the hardest I've laughed at an anime all year aside from, well, any given episode of Kaguya.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Heres a question for people that might know, were there any references to the author's other works in the first 3 episodes. I only ask becasue I know that Seiyu's Life! and Hayate the Combat Butler share the same world and was thinking maybe this was also in that same world and I missed the references.
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:
Heres a question for people that might know, were there any references to the author's other works in the first 3 episodes. I only ask becasue I know that Seiyu's Life! and Hayate the Combat Butler share the same world and was thinking maybe this was also in that same world and I missed the references.

I wouldn't recognize any references, but I understand that, yes, this does take place in the Hayate universe.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:

spoiler[The are many references later, if I had to place it in the Hayate timeline I would say it was a couple of months after Nagi was kicked out the mansion]
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:

In the premiere episode, Klaus from Hayate the Combat Butler is working the Marriage Registration desk.
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:05 pm Reply with quote
The name of the apartment complex is also a reference.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Enjoying this rom com so far. Definitely curious about how she found him though

Last edited by Covnam on Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Hurray for their first spoiler[kiss] by episode 4!

Tsukasa and Chitose are ostensibly only 2 years apart, (16 and 14 respectively) but Tsukasa looks no different now than in the flashback when Chitoses was, what? 4? 6?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
The maid's sword is Guts's Dragon Slayer from Berserk.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:48 am Reply with quote
Maybe it was just me, but the scene of Nasa diffusing Chitose ramblings when they meet outside the apartment in Episode 4 was great, as were the little tag line explaining what he was doing. I quite liked that Smile
Nova_Luxa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:10 pm Reply with quote
At 16:16 of Episode 4, the little purple plush looks to be Korori-chan from Sore ga Seiyuu! (Seiyu's Life / That's a Voice Actor), an anime from 2015. Happy to be reminded of that anime again after so long since I last watched it!! Very Happy
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I want to start this series, if we are only going to find out the central mystery until the final arc.

The fourth episode review makes me even more leary of the show. Was Chitose some sort of gap filler relationship, while she was waiting for Nasa to age up.

Is this show really funny enough to get us through the strange stuff, until we find out the mystery?
TexZero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:07 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I don't know if I want to start this series, if we are only going to find out the central mystery until the final arc.

The fourth episode review makes me even more leary of the show. Was Chitose some sort of gap filler relationship, while she was waiting for Nasa to age up.

Is this show really funny enough to get us through the strange stuff, until we find out the mystery?

The mystery isn't really the driving force of the show. If all you care about is an answer to that you're barking up the wrong tree.

The show really is more focused on the comedy of the relationship and how absurd it is. To that end yes the show is funny enough as it's never been ill-mannered jokes. They all come stem mostly from the situations they are placed in and the reference/meta humor really is secondary and there for only as a slight addition and not the whole gag.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:

I'm current with the manga, and so far, there's been several things that show this series takes place in the same world as Hayate.

1) Klaus was working at the after-hours desk at the ward office, and accepted Nasa and Tsukasa's marriage registration.

2) The name of the secondhand goods store that's on the first floor of the building where Nasa and Tsukasa started living together is called "Tachibana Store #3", a reference to Tachibana Wataru, who owns a video rental store, and later a manga bookstore in Hayate the Combat Butler.

3) This one relates to the scene in episode 5 with Tsukasa wanting a TV, which was altered from what was in the manga. spoiler[ The manga version had her going on about how she wanted to see the then-new "Avengers: Endgame" movie that had just come out in theaters, but then went on a huge spiel about how Nasa would then need to see every single movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in order to understand it. After Nasa and Tsukasa go to buy a TV (and a Blu-ray player), the two then go to the Tachibana Video Rental store to rent all the previous movies.]

4) spoiler[In chapters 125 through the current chapter (131 at the time I'm writing this), Nasa and Tsukasa go with a group from the high school Nasa volunteers at to help them film a horror movie. The group decides to film at a huge abandoned mansion in the middle of Tokyo that was actually Sanzenin Nagi's mansion prior to her having to give up the family fortune.]

5) spoiler[In chapter 126, one of the characters casually mention how they heard rumors that "a rich girl, her maid, and her butler were the only three people to live here, even though this place is so huge." A another one of the girls then adds, "And according to rumor, they apparently kept a white tiger as a pet."] A very obvious reference to Nagi, Maria, Hayate, and Tama.

6) spoiler[And finally, in chapter 130, you actually see Maria in her maid uniform giving the group of girls permission to demolish the amusement park Nagi's grandfather Mikado had built on the grounds of the mansion, since they "can no longer use it, and it's getting old and falling apart."]

There might be a couple of other things in the manga that I forgot about, but based on all of the above, I think it's safe to say that this series takes place in the same world as Hayate. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3