• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Black Clover

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
After last week's mixer episode... I am done, I am seeing episode 136 on my Crunchyroll feed, but I can't take this any longer. Presumably this one will involve the water people or something, but the whole mixer thing spinning its wheels was the last straw. It hurts my anime completionism, that I can't put what I have watched well over 100 episodes down as something I watched to completion, like seasons, but I really don't want to force myself to watch any more of this dang show that I thought was bad from fairly early on.
SAG4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:27 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
After last week's mixer episode... I am done, I am seeing episode 136 on my Crunchyroll feed, but I can't take this any longer. Presumably this one will involve the water people or something, but the whole mixer thing spinning its wheels was the last straw. It hurts my anime completionism, that I can't put what I have watched well over 100 episodes down as something I watched to completion, like seasons, but I really don't want to force myself to watch any more of this dang show that I thought was bad from fairly early on.
If you're not having fun with the anime, read the manga (ch.229) and be happy. It's much better in art, pacing, comedy, action~~ the essence of BC in its purest form.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:11 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

dont blame them buddy. they HAVE to do filler eps otherwise they will instantly catch up to the manga! its why some anime adaptations go into long hiatus like attack on titan instead! at least the dub version is still in canon mode though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:58 am Reply with quote
I am interested in seeing how they plan on resolving what happens to the Devil Believers, since they've made it clear so far that they're not going for a "It gets better" scenario.

My guess is that they will try to scare the members away from wanting to make a contract with a devil by seeing a showcase of how dangerous it is to actually confront a devil. There will likely be a split where some will still want to keep going, but the majority will return to their homes
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:03 am Reply with quote
That wouldn't be fun. They will all make deals with the devil, and be then given demonic powers. Thus contaminated with evil, the magic knights will have to fight them off. For the more humane magic knights it will be with sorrow.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 148 had kind of a weird ending. Okay, so the people who are trying to escape the Clover Kingdom are caught and their "punishment" for killing three people, kidnapping a number of others, including a small girl and starting a major riot is...

...exile. Ooooh, that'll teach them! Trying to leave our kingdom, eh?! Well, then we'll just exile you! How you like them apples??? Oi vey.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:05 am Reply with quote
^
I'll comment on this some when the episode review goes up, but yeah, they did get off a little easy. Even so, exile was a common punishment for those who had committed major crimes but for whom capital punishment would have been unseemly. And given that this means them having to travel through a strong magic zone without adequate protection, this could well be a death sentence in effect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:16 am Reply with quote
Under normal circumstances, exile could be a fairly severe penalty. But not when you are already trying to escape the country that exiles you. Also, the Magic Knights offered to transport them somewhere else using spatial magic, but they choose - and were allowed to choose - to continue on their original route. Their so-called "punishment" doesn't come anywhere close to matching their crimes which include murder, kidnapping and inciting a riot.

Also, I apologize for jumping the gun and posting this before your review, Key. But the whole thing just seemed so bizarre to me that I couldn't hold back.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:24 am Reply with quote
Exile probably made the most sense as far as what would have served the kingdom best in this case.

1. It's a death sentence with extra steps. The Heart Kingdom would not welcome them in, both due to their strict borders and alliance with the Clover Kingdom. This leaves them with the Wild Zones, Spade Kingdom, and Diamond Kingdom as their remaining options. At that point it's becomes a case of them having to pick their poison.

2. If they were arrested or given the death sentence, it would have resulted in them becoming martyrs for their cause. If they wanted to show that they're trying to bring about change, putting down the Devil Believers with violence would contradict that intent
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:29 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure the Clover Kingdom would have had much of an issue making a case to arrest people who kidnapped a little girl. I'm anti-capital punishment myself, but they should at least have been jailed for a period of time. The show has established that the ruling structure (outside a few Magic Knight captains) really could care less what the populace thinks, especially the people on the bottom, so I don't think it can be argued that the King et al would be worried about creating martyrs.

I suspect that the writers have plans for the Devil Believers in the future and that alone is the reason for this non-punishment.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:59 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm not sure the Clover Kingdom would have had much of an issue making a case to arrest people who kidnapped a little girl. I'm anti-capital punishment myself, but they should at least have been jailed for a period of time. The show has established that the ruling structure (outside a few Magic Knight captains) really could care less what the populace thinks, especially the people on the bottom, so I don't think it can be argued that the King et al would be worried about creating martyrs.

While that's true, they wouldn't necessarily care, doing so would be putting them in opposition with the heads of two of the royal families, with the Vermillions and the Silvas, and the hero of the Clover Kingdom, in Vangeance. Politically, they would be putting themselves in opposition with two of the most powerful families in the kingdom. Socially, they would be saying they oppose the desires of the man that saved their nation from destruction, just a few months ago.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:32 am Reply with quote
Another thing that surprises me is that that Scales of Justice dude didn't have anything to say about the punishment, especially given three of his former employees were murdered (yes, they were rebels, but murder is murder). He strikes me as a very law and order type. Basically the Wizard King Julius and the people you cite (Silva, Vermillion, etc) made the decision on their own. I suspect the other Clover authorities wouldn't have been so tolerant.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:51 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Another thing that surprises me is that that Scales of Justice dude didn't have anything to say about the punishment, especially given three of his former employees were murdered (yes, they were rebels, but murder is murder). He strikes me as a very law and order type. Basically the Wizard King Julius and the people you cite (Silva, Vermillion, etc) made the decision on their own. I suspect the other Clover authorities wouldn't have been so tolerant.

I think you're misremembering the episode. Damnatio was the one who made that ruling, and he did so without any input from the others present.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:03 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I think you're misremembering the episode. Damnatio was the one who made that ruling, and he did so without any input from the others present.

Well, Key, I can HARDLY be expected to remember every tiny detall from something I watched a whole 48 hours ago. Heh. I guess this is what you get as you age and try to watch 34 currently airing shows every week.

Well, Damnatio is definitely an authoritative voice of the ruling class, so they must be cool with this. I guess I can buy that the ruling accomplishes a punitive goal (since the Devil Believers have very little chance of surviving) while at the same time avoiding making them martyrs to the magic deprived.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:27 am Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
Exile probably made the most sense as far as what would have served the kingdom best in this case.

1. It's a death sentence with extra steps. The Heart Kingdom would not welcome them in, both due to their strict borders and alliance with the Clover Kingdom. This leaves them with the Wild Zones, Spade Kingdom, and Diamond Kingdom as their remaining options. At that point it's becomes a case of them having to pick their poison.

2. If they were arrested or given the death sentence, it would have resulted in them becoming martyrs for their cause. If they wanted to show that they're trying to bring about change, putting down the Devil Believers with violence would contradict that intent

which is the shock considering he's supposed to be the draconian type ala naruto's danzo when it comes to punishment towards the guilty!

and in the way how he acted in asta and nero's trial, dont be surprised if he's doing this exile crap to put on a show for the other knights but in reality, he will have them "dissapear" without a trace!

also the author have left out one notion in this week's ep! it appears thst both the queen and her spirit knows A LOT about the land of the sun aka yami's homeland! to what degree is unclear! but hopefully will it finally reveal ANY type of background origin story when it comes to the black bull captain! that itself should have uped the review score a little bit!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 25