• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Announces New Partnerships With NAZ, Science Saru, MAPPA, Studio Mir

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:51 pm Reply with quote
this is the worst news I've seen in months
Dukeduke3dd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
this is the worst news I've seen in months
NeTfLiX bAd we get it
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Studio deals are one thing but are they going to be all original works or adaptations of better-known IP's? Hey, as long as it means less Polygon Pictures, I'm for it.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:25 pm Reply with quote
NAZ: That would be interesting.
Science Saru: More Masaki Yuasa goodness!
MAPPA: They made double whammies in the animation department this year, let’s see if the third makes a fine trilogy!
Studio Mir: Maybe we’ll get a western based anime project or even a Webtoon adaptation?

Last edited by Ryuji-Dono on Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
lledra

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm really curious what kind of shows they'll be making. Excited to learn more about them~!
ETX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Yikes.
FrodoGate222

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

But didn't Yuasa leave Science Saru?
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:55 pm Reply with quote
FrodoGate222 wrote:
Quote:

I read he retired as president of it. Doesn’t mean he may not come back as a director for some projects.
Sobe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:56 pm Reply with quote
If we get more Jujutsu Kaisen anime, I'll be fine with that. Hopefully the manga artist and their staff see some positive benefits from this because of MAPPA.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Studio deals are one thing but are they going to be all original works or adaptations of better-known IP's? Hey, as long as it means less Polygon Pictures, I'm for it.

Polygon's work was excellent when they worked on Transformers Prime but from what I understand, that show absolutely destroyed their pipeline and did a number on the studio itself which is why things that've come from them since (Sidonia, Godzilla trilogy, etc) have had the look they've had.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:31 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

Polygon's work was excellent when they worked on Transformers Prime but from what I understand, that show absolutely destroyed their pipeline and did a number on the studio itself which is why things that've come from them since (Sidonia, Godzilla trilogy, etc) have had the look they've had.

Well, War for Cybertron seems to make it look they're making a slow-comeback with Drifting Dragons too.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:19 am Reply with quote
FrodoGate222 wrote:

No. He only stepped down from the top position but is still working there as a director. He recently did Japan Sinks 2020. Also the film Ride Your Wave.

If Netflix is funding more original works like Yuasa's then it's all good... so long as I can purchase them elsewhere...
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:27 am Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:

I can't speak for Transformers Prime but there are stories that came out a while back about their involvement in Street Fighter V's early development that probably didn't help matters.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:27 am Reply with quote
I assume/hope this will just be a small part of each studios output, I would hate to see a big chunk of their works end up on Netflix. I hope more of the shows they have are adaptations(and this is coming from someone who prefers original shows) as their original titles nearly always seem off to me. At least this should mean less ugly CG titles filling up their Anime section.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:40 am Reply with quote
Oooh, this ought to be interesting! I'm always up for more studios collaborating with Netflix! If this means more good anime in the future, then I'm in! Very Happy

It helps that some Netflix shows are actually starting to see home video releases. (Though Aggretsuko and Little Witch Academia when???)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4