• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jujutsu Kaisen

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:25 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
1. Yuji’s parents will be revealed as super powerful Jujutsu sorcerers who probably died fighting the good fight. I’m guessing they asked Grandpa (probably a former sorcerer himself) to protect him from that world, but when he realized Yuji’s strength and his own mortality, he planted the motivation for Yuji to become a warrior on purpose

Your probably right but I hope it's not the case. I much prefer story about ordinary people rising up to special circumstance rather than story about character who were always going to be special and the only thing that could prevent that is themselves being too awful at everything.

It’s not that I’m personally rooting for Yuji to have a great lineage or bloodline, it’s that the story has made his parentage a mystery while having every other character point out that he has super physical strength (before he even ate the finger) and, after he ate the finger, a once-in-a-thousand-years tolerance for absorbing and controlling supernatural power. If that’s not a Naruto-esque set up for a super special parental reveal, nothing is.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:23 am Reply with quote
I've read more than once that Gege Akutami is a woman, and frankly, I haven't find any evidence supporting that.
Here's Gege Akutami first profile self-portrait, from this Japanese webpage. So far, it's not clear evidence of Akutami-sensei's gender (and if there is one, it's more probably male than female).

Of course, it's fine (at least for me) if Akutami-sensei is female or not, but maybe we should be more careful before stating "facts" about other people's personal life. ("What?, Gege Akutami is not a woman? Then his work is trash!" -the opposite "What? Gege Akutami is a woman? Then she can't draw shônen!"- it's also awful)
bennyl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:27 am Reply with quote
As visually excellent as God of High School was, I'm thrilled that studio has some decent source material to work with. I know there are a lot of korean webcomic fans out there, but those just do not translate into anime. I think the webcomics would have a better chance of being watchable if they were using American animation studios, even if they were animated in the cal arts style. The american studios seem to be more willing to take source material as a guide, rather than gospel.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Since I don't read manga and watch anime, but manga readers, is Nobara ''useless'' like Sakura or not? Not offending, just curious.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit worried they're already fighting special grade monster, I feel like at this rate they'll be able to easily handle those by the end of the season and after that it'll pull a Bleach where the monster become inconsequential and all the fight are going to be against other humans.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:34 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Since I don't read manga and watch anime, but manga readers, is Nobara ''useless'' like Sakura or not? Not offending, just curious.

>no character-consuming crush
>good fights
spoiler[>even beats a dude at one point]

She gets a better rep and has better material at the equivalent point in chapters.

Anyways the episode was great, love how the true shrine was on top while reality was merely the reflection.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:50 pm Reply with quote
After ending episode 3 with a foreshadowed death (wouldn't surprise me if it was Megumi, presuming it isn't just a fake out), it's probably better that Nobara left Laughing

I feel like there needs to be a few more grades in there. Nothing in-between a shotgun and a tank huh?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:53 am Reply with quote
Posts removed. Keep it nice, please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:56 am Reply with quote
I think my favorite part of episode 4 was Yuji trying to negotiate with Sukina—“if I die, you die, right?” And Sukuna saying nah, he has more fingers out there and doesn’t really need Yuji to survive. Sukuna is a dangerous entity interested in power, and that remark drove home that, at least at this point, he’s not going to be easy to control.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I think my favorite part of episode 4 was Yuji trying to negotiate with Sukina—“if I die, you die, right?” And Sukuna saying nah, he has more fingers out there and doesn’t really need Yuji to survive. Sukuna is a dangerous entity interested in power, and that remark drove home that, at least at this point, he’s not going to be easy to control.

This, and also "First thing, I'm totally going to kill your new friends because it'll be fun and your fault".
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:19 am Reply with quote
I appreciate the story for not following the typical "monster within is not that bad". Yes, Sukuna is that bad, even worse. The only reason he tore up the Curse was because it dared to attack him, but he would have all happy to kill Fushiguro, Nobara (and probably the whole human race) with its help.

Also about the characters, from reading JJK in Mangaplus:
spoiler[- Nobara's friends are alive and well.
- Nobara's skill is quite appreciable, she's not damsel in distress.
- Yuji's parents were nothing special.

So... this is anti-Naruto. ]
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Elated at Yuuji's refusal to reclaim control over his own body
I wouldn't call it refusal; I think Yuji just wasn't able to. I can see an argument that he's too shaken by his near-death to manage, but I can't buy that he'd willingly let Sukuna run free any longer than absolutely necessary, and that point passed before Sukuna used Megumi as a ping pong ball.
Quote:
Despite wanting to operate on a purely logical level as a sorcerer, Megumi admits that he saved Yuuji because he simply likes the guy, and he didn't want to see Yuuji hurt.
Megumi's not trying to act logically per se; we see how he views the world as something that's unfair to good people, so he takes it upon himself to help those he feels ought to be helped, like Yuji instead of the inmates. In the words of the PV that I'm not sure have been said in the anime yet, spoiler["I will save people unequally."]
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:20 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

Also about the characters, from reading JJK in Mangaplus:
spoiler[
- Yuji's parents were nothing special.
]

I mean, I just binged the whole series thus far at Viz and spoiler[I don't recall Yuji's parents even being mentioned yet?]
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:42 am Reply with quote
A very minor gripe but I didn't like how the anime made Megumi fly through buildings. In the manga, after Sukuna launched him, he punched Megumi down and avoided death by having Nue soften his landing. That's it. It makes sense that Megumi survived that and had to resort to his final attack but in the anime it took him flying through buildings and was still able to stand up after like he doesn't have a single broken bone in his body or something.

Though I understand it's an anime. It's just that the manga felt more grounded? As weird as that sound with all the supernatural stuff going on. Like there's more cqc and less DBZ-esque choreography going on? Anyways, still enjoying 99% of the adaptation. Just a minor annoyance.

Rant over.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:59 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
Posts removed. Keep it nice, please.

So...we're not allowed to even criticize the episode content? oO I don't think I dreamed that I posted about Nobara going shopping and needing rescuing every time she's seen action, and though I remember quoting a line from the review, I didn't address the reviewer (or anyone else that I recall), just that I didn't share the enthusiasm for her. But since I didn't keep a copy of the post, I don't know what I said to run afoul of the rules.

I thought I had another post on the first page, but either I dreamed that too, or it also got the ax for unknown reasons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16