• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
The possibility of cross-reincarnation is a great idea

They're even crossing over from other series, what with Daphne's unicorn murder bunnies (Re: Zero) hanging out with the Xenos. Very Happy

As amusing as that notion is, both DanMachi's writer Fujino Omori and Re:Zero's writer Tappei Nagatsuki are drawing from common source materials here. The bunny is an Al-Mi'raj, a mythical creature from Muslim lore which was notably featured in an early Dungeons and Dragons hardback and has periodically reappeared in the game ever since. I strongly suspect both Omori and Nagatsuki know of it from that.

Given that Weine's description of her dream is clearly referring to memories of being a monster attacking adventurers, I'm more inclined to buy that Lyd is speaking of memories of being a monster who once lived on the surface rather than a reincarnated adventurer. Are they just random mutations or part of some plan by the will of the Dungeon, as Ouranos seems to suspect? These are the questions that fascinate me about this arc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:52 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The bunny is an Al-Mi'raj, a mythical creature from Muslim lore

Ha, I'll have to add that to my collection of -alopes, which currently includes jackalopes, popealopes, the X-15 Cruise Basselope (courtesy of Bloom County), cantaloupealopes and wolpertingers. Very Happy
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:28 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
Yep. Given some of the trims the adaptation has made so far, it might skip one certain part of the next scene, and I actually hope that it does.

I was very much impressed with how this episode was handled. Nearly all talking, and yet none of it felt like wasted time.

While I dont want them to I think they will show that scene as it is probably the scenespoiler[ that shows the arc at its darkest. The shock value (for non LN readers) will certainly give it a lot of attention.] That aside, I love season 3 so far and its reception is quite positive. Solidly animated and faithful to the LN and if they keep this up to the end then season 4 is definitely a possibility.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Nothing wrong with a little darkness in the anime. Really, a lot of these gods are not very nice people. Some humans are probably even worse. No reason to tame down the source material for the anime.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:50 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Nothing wrong with a little darkness in the anime. Really, a lot of these gods are not very nice people. Some humans are probably even worse. No reason to tame down the source material for the anime.

unfortunately its gonna be toned down in the anime version!

it definitely was in sword oratoria! especially during the fight against olivas aka vendetta!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:38 pm Reply with quote
LOL they did tone it down. I kinda wish they animated Hestia's meeting with Ganesha as it actually shows him to be cooler than simply being a comic relief as opposed to the rest of his Familia though I understand why they didn't as it doesnt really add anything to what we already know.
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Oof, even having read the novels, episode 5 was still hard to watch. The thing that struck me the hardest was the Ikolos Familia pieces of garbage calling Ranieh a monster as they were trying to violate her. The hypocrisy of humanity knows no bounds.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:59 pm Reply with quote
can someone please tell me the number of rape / attempted rapes for this season so far please?
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
can someone please tell me the number of rape / attempted rapes for this season so far please?

spoiler[Thats all. Everything after this will be emotional roller coasters and high stakes action]
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:19 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

spoiler[Thats all. Everything after this will be emotional roller coasters and high stakes action]

thats good!

after that cringeworthy scene from the alicization arc, i definitely dont wanna see anything that queasy ever again! the author definitely should not mimic SAO's author when it comes to that subject!

am i wrong?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I noticed they changed the spelling of some names to match the ones in DanMemo like Rivira to Livira. Crunchyroll's handiwork I assume. Sure its the same pronunciation but different spelling aka romanji but the change is noticeable.

This season brings to mind a line from a song in Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame.

"Who is the monster and who is the man?"

jr240483 wrote:
GhostD wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

thats good!

after that cringeworthy scene from the alicization arc, i definitely dont wanna see anything that queasy ever again! the author definitely should not mimic SAO's author when it comes to that subject!

am i wrong?

No youre not. If you haven't read the LN then trust me when I say that if they didn't tone it down then it would be just a step below the level of that SAO scene. IMO the toned down version is ideal because it shows just how twisted these guys can be while keeping it from being too uncomfortable to watch.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:28 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:

No youre not. If you haven't read the LN then trust me when I say that if they didn't tone it down then it would be just a step below the level of that SAO scene. IMO the toned down version is ideal because it shows just how twisted these guys can be while keeping it from being too uncomfortable to watch.

indeed. but dont get me wrong. i can tolerate it since after watch far more graphic scenes from R18 series like bible black and taimanin asagi, but yea..... that arc and fairy dance COMPLETELY rubbed me off the wrong way!

do you find it weird though!? can tolerate its from infamous series like BB & TA, but make my skin crawl for non R18 series?
snoozers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:29 am Reply with quote
Same idea in my mind to pick girls, not pretty sure it works or not?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:41 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

do you find it weird though!? can tolerate its from infamous series like BB & TA, but make my skin crawl for non R18 series?

I don't think it's weird at all - it's a question of expectations. In an R18 series, you expect there to be sexual content that you might not love because of the tropes associated with adult works. But in anything else it's like a slap in the face because you aren't expecting it to be there. Sometimes that can work for shock value, but a lot of the time it feels like what author Nancy Lamb calls a betrayal of the promise the creator/author made to you about what the story would contain.
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:51 pm Reply with quote
One of the 2 fights I've been waiting to see goes down next week and here comes the Xenos' secret weapon. And so the build to the most anticipated fight begins.

Seriously no matter what site I go to even just in youtube people have been making d*** jokes ever since Dix got introduced. Kinda saw it coming but damn is it annoying to see dozens of them every single week
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13