• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Talentless Nana

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seagloom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:38 am Reply with quote
@kgw & Cryten

There is a paradigm shift in the back half. I think both of you will get something out of the later episodes. The question is if sticking around until then is worth it to either of you. I can totally understand dropping earlier. (I had two first episode drops this season, after all. Razz)
Kirki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:51 am Reply with quote
I don't find this concept as problematic as most people seem to do. We don't always need perfect protagonists with perfect motives and perfect goals. A protagonist can do evil deeds, and this only makes them unsympathetic if the show itself tries to convince you they are on the right side, which I don't see here. Nana is clearly on the wrong side, but we have yet to see how exactly she was led up this point.

Other than that, it is just a show. These characters are not real people. Even if it ends up being just a slaughterfest, just the killing methods and brain games are enough to keep you entertained. After a decade of watching anime, I always appreciate anything that can keep itself interesting enough and do something outside of the norm.

Also, I can't help but notice - it's funny how anti-heroes or straight up villains like Lelouch and Light and Eren are so beloved and are considered so cool but when a female character like Nana tries to be the villain-protagonist she is automatically widely hated... Of course Talentless Nana as a show is nowhere near those Titans of the industry, and that might be a very big part of the reason, but I still find this worthy to be perplexed about. For now I'll just assume this is because we do not know the truth of her world yet with the information we currently have.
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:54 am Reply with quote
I am completely fine with people enjoying the show. I have only stated my personal feelings about enjoying the show. Please dont interpret my feelings to mean something else that you want to be angry about.

Additionally I am completely open to the series yet proving itself to be enjoyable. Its background of bias and infighting of specials is very intriguing and Nana's character as a obsessed killer is very strong. What I lack is sympathy for her killings.

I dont approve of talk that attempts to imply wrong things with the people discussing the show. It shows bad faith. I much prefer discussing things with people like seagloom, bennyl and ThatGuy who share their enjoyment of the content.
Anneyuno1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:27 am Reply with quote
Tsunekichi says that the future in his predictions cannot be changed, I wonder if the boy with travel in time power could change those events. It will no longer be possible to check it.

@Seagloom @ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

Whatever, So far Nana it is the main and true protagonist, the anime has focused on her and I like it that way, she is more interesting to see her and interact with the rest characters. In other anime they usually end up relegating the main girl to a secondary role while the male protagonist monopolizing the focus of attention, for example akame ga kill. (spoiler[I know they kill him in the anime, but not in the manga])
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe you'll think differently, but given the choice between an easily-flustered pink-coiffed predator, and a gloomy ally of justice who plays Bomberman all day, I know who I'm siding with.

I'd normally go for pink twintails, but between an organization-backed butcher and a socially awkward retro gamer who just wants everyone in the extermination camp to survive I'll go with the latter.
I want the girl's complex schemes to play out, but I also want the boy to outplay her.

Nana might be physically weaker than her adversaries, but on top of her wits, ruthlessness and bigoted conviction, the amount of information she has at her disposal is monumentally larger than her victim's. She's no underdog.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:25 am Reply with quote
Anneyuno1 wrote:
Whatever, So far Nana it is the main and true protagonist...

That was never a point of contention. I wrote as much earlier. I also think she is more interesting than Nanao and that impression grows over time. There are only two other characters that are on her level IMO. (Neither have been introduced yet.)

I just don’t think this series defies tropes as much as it seems at first glance is all.

That said, it is true not enough anime break the mold. That is one of the reasons I prefer LNs these days. There are more interesting lady protagonists there than what is usually chosen for adaptation. On that note, you might enjoy Otherside Picnic next season.

Last edited by Seagloom on Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote
Nope i'm sorry episode 4 was so bad that the logical consistency of the world is absolutely non-existent anymore and pretty much everything that's being done is now on the same purely for shock value as Another or King's Game the Animation.

Guy has the ability to see the future, knows Nana is gonna kill him. Knows she's a lying sack of... and decides in the most absolutely boneheaded way to go it alone instead of telling literally everyone in the class that Nana is lying and he has the proof.

I'm done. The only super power in this show is stupidity and it shouldn't be considered a super power given how liberally it's applied to the cast.
dandon223

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:34 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Nope i'm sorry episode 4 was so bad that the logical consistency of the world is absolutely non-existent anymore and pretty much everything that's being done is now on the same purely for shock value as Another or King's Game the Animation.

Guy has the ability to see the future, knows Nana is gonna kill him. Knows she's a lying sack of... and decides in the most absolutely boneheaded way to go it alone instead of telling literally everyone in the class that Nana is lying and he has the proof.

I'm done. The only super power in this show is stupidity and it shouldn't be considered a super power given how liberally it's applied to the cast.

And why you think he should do that? Does he even care about other students?
Plus he believes that what he sees will happen anyway. He is just courius why.
Did you miss the bowl with soup? No matter what you do you cannot escape your faith. Atleast that is what he believes in.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:42 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:

You're making a lot of assumptions, the biggest being that he cares what happens to the other kids at all. If he has a picture of Nanao being pushed off a cliff, then he's known about Nana's killings the entire time. If he hasn't said anything, then clearly he isn't concerned about saving them and is only now acting because he's in trouble. Why confront her like this? Well, we'll see.

Agent355 wrote:
Wouldn’t it have been extremely useful to keep a power neutralizing kid wrapped around her finger to help her get the more dangerous or harder to kill kids?

I've seen a few people say this, and honestly I can't see this method working for more than a couple of kills without getting extremely suspicious. Assuming Nanao needs to touch someone in order to neutralize their powers, that means Nana would somehow need to kill a victim while Nanao is currently touching them. And he didn't seem like a dumb kid to me, I feel like he'd pick up on that the second or even the first time she tried that, no matter how subtle she was. He'd have to be a willing accomplice in her murders in order for her to keep getting away with that.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:23 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
I've seen a few people say this, and honestly I can't see this method working for more than a couple of kills without getting extremely suspicious. Assuming Nanao needs to touch someone in order to neutralize their powers, that means Nana would somehow need to kill a victim while Nanao is currently touching them. And he didn't seem like a dumb kid to me, I feel like he'd pick up on that the second or even the first time she tried that, no matter how subtle she was. He'd have to be a willing accomplice in her murders in order for her to keep getting away with that.

With her elaborate her plans are, I doubt the bruteforcing approach is the only way to make use of Nanao's power. Like the way these powers work her plans aren't at risk only while executing the killing blow, but also during the setup. If a power gets in the way of one of the steps, have Nanao block them. An elaborate "look, a three-headed monkey".

But more importantly, Nanao's disappearence put the other kids on edge. Unless Nanao was super ultra smart, someone who could easily catch on her shenanigans, then getting rid of the kid who presented the least of a menace first was detrimental to her mission.
--
Honestly, harping back to those "potential death tolls", I do believe they ARE their powerlevels, just not the way Nana imagines it. Instead of being about how lethal to common people this kids are, it's about how much of a nuisance they are for the organization's objectives.
The shy girl can heal anything, therefore she can get her companions back on her feet, theretherefore the organization wants her dead fast. As for Nanao, well, the only explanation is that the Organization is also led by people with quirks (which would make sense, gotta monopolize that power): either they have someone possessing the power of clairvoyance or their top/elite members have quirks which could be nullified by Nanao.
Their brainwashing must be top notch though, since they've managed to make Nana trust in their future-seeing information while she isn't suspicious at all about how they got ahold of such information.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:25 pm Reply with quote
dandon223 wrote:
TexZero wrote:

And why you think he should do that? Does he even care about other students?
Plus he believes that what he sees will happen anyway. He is just courius why.
Did you miss the bowl with soup? No matter what you do you cannot escape your faith. Atleast that is what he believes in.

No i didn't miss anything from the episode. I understand he knows how his power works and that he cannot change the outcome which is why his entire gambit is utterly stupid and strains the entire credulity of the show.

It is attacking this is the dumbest possible way. You can claim it's witty all you want but it's outright stupid. You can claim he's only out for himself since he has other evidence of her deeds and hasn't come forward. That doesn't change how absolutely dumb it was to confront her head on before you had to without first keying others into not only your power but what it means.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:31 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
TexZero wrote:

You're making a lot of assumptions, the biggest being that he cares what happens to the other kids at all. If he has a picture of Nanao being pushed off a cliff, then he's known about Nana's killings the entire time. If he hasn't said anything, then clearly he isn't concerned about saving them and is only now acting because he's in trouble. Why confront her like this? Well, we'll see.

Agent355 wrote:
Wouldn’t it have been extremely useful to keep a power neutralizing kid wrapped around her finger to help her get the more dangerous or harder to kill kids?

The irony of saying i'm assuming alot when the show has already shown you Nanao doesn't need to touch people to use his power....

I wasn't assuming anything about the character being altruistic. I was stating his methodology for tackling the issue is beyond stupid. He could quite easily inform everyone what was going to happen and share those images since according to him his fate was sealed. Instead he chose to in secret meet with the person who would kill him, let them know he knows and then also showcase the exact time, and location she's going to kill him.

Like come on that's dumber that dirt and he's only one example of this. Kyoya or whatever the white haired boy's name is does equally dumb logic loops to let Nana continue her ways. Like beyond belief OJ Simpson logical fallacies here of "The glove don't fit so you must acquit".
stilldemented

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:23 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
I was stating his methodology for tackling the issue is beyond stupid. He could quite easily inform everyone...

Fatalism. The answer to the root of this gripe is that the camera kid is a fatalist. There's. No. Point. Fate is predetermined. Can't change it. Can't avoid it. Can't stop it. So why bother? That's the mentality at play in his character.

Is it stupid? Deeply. It's probably going to get him killed. Cool .
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:11 am Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
Other than that, it is just a show. These characters are not real people. Even if it ends up being just a slaughterfest, just the killing methods and brain games are enough to keep you entertained. After a decade of watching anime, I always appreciate anything that can keep itself interesting enough and do something outside of the norm.

Also, I can't help but notice - it's funny how anti-heroes or straight up villains like Lelouch and Light and Eren are so beloved and are considered so cool but when a female character like Nana tries to be the villain-protagonist she is automatically widely hated... Of course Talentless Nana as a show is nowhere near those Titans of the industry, and that might be a very big part of the reason, but I still find this worthy to be perplexed about. For now I'll just assume this is because we do not know the truth of her world yet with the information we currently have.

1. Yeah, shows are not real. So… what?
2. Lelouch is a monster, too (cool mechas, though) And I haven't watched any of the other series.

Of course, it's fine if someone likes to watch this series. I got another tastes.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:20 pm Reply with quote
So how does this show intend to end. Is it just another murder show? Will everyone die, including Nana.

If Nana fails, the government could simply nuke the island or that FAE weapon they mentioned. And then blame it on the Enemies of Humanity.

Is this Nana's first island run through, or is she a veteran executioner?

Nana is a totally unsympathetic character. I liked Lelouch, he still had his humanity and was sympathetic. Nana doesn't show any of that. She views everyone on the island, the good, the bad, and the ugly, as the enemy. None of her internal thought processes show even a trace off humanity. The government has ordered their execution, and she is going to follow her orders to the letter.

So really this is mainly a show about a battle of wits set during a murder game. Personally, I hope there is a denouncement for Nana, where she finds her humanity. She still would have to die, but least she would know what she has done was wrong and die with a trace of humanity in her.

The show has kept my interest, so I will probably follow it through to end. Mainly to see how they are going to end it. Will it have a murder game ending, or will it pull a "sea change" out of their hat?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12