• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - My Poor Eiken Back

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MesousaGaby

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Eh, the ass shots were better, especially from those orange haired girls that apparently are all sisters.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:07 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Sure, one could try looking it up in Japanese, but I honestly prefer never knowing; the mystery behind it appeals to me.

It's just as much a mystery to me in Japanese, since the manga's title is in katakana and there are hundreds or thousands of kanji combinations that could have that reading. One would assume that the "ken" is an abbreviation of "研究," or "research," but what "ei" they're researching is a total mystery to me—could be anything from movies to fish to honor to poetry.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:54 am Reply with quote
Well, that was hilarious and should be accompanied by an AMV featuring Rachel Bloom’s brilliant ode to big busts, Heavy Boobs https://youtu.be/iT-pnp7ioEI
(“I got them heavy boobs, heavy boobs, dense like dying stars, I got them heavy boobs, heavy boobs, they each have their own memoir!”)
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:21 am Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
Sure, one could try looking it up in Japanese, but I honestly prefer never knowing; the mystery behind it appeals to me.

It's just as much a mystery to me in Japanese, since the manga's title is in katakana and there are hundreds or thousands of kanji combinations that could have that reading. One would assume that the "ken" is an abbreviation of "研究," or "research," but what "ei" they're researching is a total mystery to me—could be anything from movies to fish to honor to poetry.

I meant going to a Japanese site that's written about the manga, or even Wikipedia Japan, and look to see if it just outright reveals the mystery behind the Eiken Club. I COULD do something like that & just find it out that way, but I choose not to.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:56 am Reply with quote
This was my first ecchi anime ever... and it was aired on Starz (Encore I think?). After reading the review, I remem'd a lot of stuff about this 2 ep ova series and tbh, its not anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be. I say the same thing for the Boku No Pico series
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:30 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I remember watching JesuOtaku's review of it, which IMHO is the only thing about Eiken worth watching. I'd love to watch said review again, but it sadly seems to have disappeared off the internet, which is a shame.
So that review is now lost media? That's sad, I hope one day Discotek re-releases Eiken with that video included.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Deleted, see mod comment.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Guys, I'm pretty sure Jake PURPOSEFULLY removed those videos of him because they were pre-transition and he was being harassed. Let's not engage in trying to direct people on where to find it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shwiggie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Gee, thanks for reminding me of this steamy pile. Hopefully I can go another fifteen or so years not hearing about it.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Kilgamayan wrote:
I have to confess that I thought Eiken was the funniest stuff ever when I was in college. These days, though, it is at least still useful as an anime Boogeyman/threat, even if it isn't useful for anything else.

The only act of salvation one can do after watching Eiken is to weaponize having watched Eiken.

Its like you have the ultimate weapon against your fellow anime friends and/or a badge of honor. LoL.

I first saw this in AMV Hell 3 and immediately thought, "Nope. Never watching this ever." Thank you Steve and Nick for falling in this anime grenade for those who aren't brave enough to do it. *takes a shot of rum in your honor*
DanMatcha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:24 pm Reply with quote
The fanservice is so over the top, that instead of being sexy, it’s hilarious. It’s probaby the hardest I laughed watching an anime.
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I have always looked at Eiken as "You little pervs like Tig ol' Biddies and panty shots? Well, here you go! Wish granted!" It is just so over the top bonkers that there is just no way this was ever intended seriously. And, for me, that makes it hilarious.
gsilver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I never saw this, but previously I thought it was just a bad ecchi show with awful character designs.

Little did it prepare me for the level of grotesque body horror contained within.
Now I won't sleep for a week with these abominations burned into my brain.

Thanks.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I also wanna say that, while doing some research, I saw a loooot of people trying to explain away Eiken as a "parody." Those people are cowards and fools. Eiken is exactly what it wants to be, and on some fucked up level, I kinda respect that.

I always equated Eiken to being like that anime fan who is proud to ride a subway or bus with his body pillow. I don't know is respect is the right word, but it takes a certain level of self confidence to go right out and do that without a single care. I also always felt like the creation of Eiken was sort of like a dare. As if someone once told Seiji Matsuyama "that would never work" and he took it as his mission to not only prove them wrong, but make it even more ridiculous. The animators sure as hell took that ball and ran with it when animating this show.

I also agree with the notion that this could be a great (in a so bad it's great way) group watch. This is like the anime T&A version of the worst horror or Sy-Fy monster movie you can think of. You have some drinks, you play Cards Against Humanity, and then watch this. You'll either laugh your ass off, or run away screaming.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:08 am Reply with quote
I've heard how bad it was, but seeing some of these screenshots, oh Good God, not gonna mince words: it looks [expletive] awful, even shit anime like Green Green feels more dignified than this despite a lot of disgusting, messed up gags it had.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2