• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Higurashi: When They Cry – GOU

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:30 am Reply with quote
MesousaGaby wrote:
"As for the Satoko-Rika murder-suicide, my thought is that it's likely Rika went to Keiichi's house to see if he went on his murder spree, found him and Rena, called an ambulance, took the knife, and went back and murdered Satoko and then herself to move on to the next loop."

...WHAT?

Even as a prediction, this just feels way too...awkward. Rika killing someone else just to fulfill a loop is honestly really off-character. Isn't she supposed to, you know, prevent it?

Not to mention the fact that Keiichi being alive after being stabbed that much, yet Rena dies after just a sight hit to the table is one of the dumbest things I've seen in Higurashi. Not as dumb as the one OVA that turned it into an ecchi, now that was pure cancer, but...Keiichi literally had plot armor.

My money is on reina killing satoko and Rika... Thought there is a small chance satoko was the one who Did it, But i did not see any clues, that one makes barely more sense than mion doing it. K1 surviving, i think only the first or so Stab was real the hitting Rena on the head took care of the rest.
The next arc Will be pretty interesting as we already got the two viene points , si either we get a third viewpoint or even a heavier remix., Like adding the tatarigoroshi to the mix
kyokun47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:25 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
MesousaGaby wrote:
"As for the Satoko-Rika murder-suicide, my thought is that it's likely Rika went to Keiichi's house to see if he went on his murder spree, found him and Rena, called an ambulance, took the knife, and went back and murdered Satoko and then herself to move on to the next loop."

...WHAT?

Even as a prediction, this just feels way too...awkward. Rika killing someone else just to fulfill a loop is honestly really off-character. Isn't she supposed to, you know, prevent it?

Not to mention the fact that Keiichi being alive after being stabbed that much, yet Rena dies after just a sight hit to the table is one of the dumbest things I've seen in Higurashi. Not as dumb as the one OVA that turned it into an ecchi, now that was pure cancer, but...Keiichi literally had plot armor.

My money is on reina killing satoko and Rika... Thought there is a small chance satoko was the one who Did it, But i did not see any clues, that one makes barely more sense than mion doing it. K1 surviving, i think only the first or so Stab was real the hitting Rena on the head took care of the rest.
The next arc Will be pretty interesting as we already got the two viene points , si either we get a third viewpoint or even a heavier remix., Like adding the tatarigoroshi to the mix
I was also taken aback by this point in the review, but I had things to throw in for both posts, so I just replied to you lol.
I don't think there's any way that Rika would kill Satoko. Rika spoiler[has most certainly offed herself in past arcs, and in the games I believe she mentions that she has succumbed herself to Hinamizawa Syndrome,] but there was a whole scene in the Rei OVA spoiler[where Rika talked to Hanyu about having to deal with the weight of killing another person being too much for her. She was referring to her mom in this story, but I would assume this would still be a point of contention for her with her best friend (That's Dice Killing Chapter, Ep. 3 for reference).] As for Satoko, we already know from Kai that spoiler[she has constantly kept her Hinamizawa Syndrome symptoms at bay because of Rika's help,] so it isn't a stretch to think she couldn't have snapped and done it, but spoiler[her own death wouldn't have matched up with the symptoms of a Level 5 end-stage diagnosis.] I'm personally thinking their situation spoiler[was similar to the original, with the Irie Facility killing them both instead of just abducting Rika. I assume Takano is also not the culprit here since her body was the one found.]
In regards to what happened after the blood geyser, I'm also worried about Mion's involvement here. Her role in this arc was so small compared to the original anime, but she was also the only one to confirm with Keiichi what happened to Rena. I assume these arcs will get Answer arcs themselves, and it remains to be seen whether there will need to be a second season like the original to tie up the loose ends, but I guess that will probably be revealed more at the start of the next arc.
Sorry about the long post! I marathoned the originals over the last two weeks just to keep up with the weekly discourse lmao.
cheapassgamer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:36 pm Reply with quote
So is this a remake or a sequel? Just watched the first episode and there's a scene at the end that basically spoils the twist of the original series.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:56 pm Reply with quote
cheapassgamer wrote:
So is this a remake or a sequel? Just watched the first episode and there's a scene at the end that basically spoils the twist of the original series.

A sequel. We got trolled into thinking it was a remake.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Why were they so ambiguous about whether it was a sequel or a remake, anyway? That seems like a really strange thing to fumble on in publicizing a new show.
Zefram

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:25 pm Reply with quote
MesousaGaby wrote:

Could have that been a matter of false narrative POV? Keiichi hallucinating Rena stabbing him multiple times instead of once because of his hazy flashbacks of doing the same to Rena with a bat?
But its Higurashi so most likely its simple plot armor for start of the series...
Birriaman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:06 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Why were they so ambiguous about whether it was a sequel or a remake, anyway? That seems like a really strange thing to fumble on in publicizing a new show.

They didn’t “fumble” anything. It was premeditated. It actually feels like a perfect fit to the overall storyline and Ryushiki’s storytelling style.
Birriaman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Zefram wrote:
MesousaGaby wrote:

Could have that been a matter of false narrative POV? Keiichi hallucinating Rena stabbing him multiple times instead of once because of his hazy flashbacks of doing the same to Rena with a bat?
But its Higurashi so most likely its simple plot armor for start of the series...

Nah, I think you got it right. The scene where Keiichi scratches his neck at the very end of the arc lets you know that his spoiler[syndrome] was already starting, so it makes sense his mind played some tricks on him. Rena going crazy, though, that was no hallucination.
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Zefram wrote:
MesousaGaby wrote:

That's the thing about Higurashi. You can't trust anything you see. Until the answer arc comes out, we won't know for sure what happened in that living room.

As for episode 5...why am I not convinced that Shion actually appeared in this episode?
Birriaman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I actually began rewatching the original and had just gotten to the same episode by the time this week’s aired (Shion’s introduction), so I have a couple of (anime-only viewer) opinions:

1. This is definitely not a remake, it’s a sequel. That’s why so many of the minute details are different from the original. I’m sure this will come to play later on as a sort of butterfly effect. The differences between the original and this one are planned and have an objective.

2. Even after watching both version of this episode almost back to back, I still have the same confusion as the reviewer regarding spoiler[Mion and Shion’s swapping.] In the original, spoiler[Shion was the one at the “Card Captor Sakura cafe”], while this time around it seems to be spoiler[Mion, as she doesn’t deny anything when Rena asks her about it and continues the conversation quite matter-of-factly.] In the original, spoiler[Mion takes the bento to Keiichi under the guise of her being Shion,] but this time around it is definitely spoiler[Shion.] I guess I could be wrong on both counts, but there just seems to be something giving off their respective vibes in each of the scenes that makes it clear to me.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:29 pm Reply with quote
An interesting thing that I guess could happen in this remake/sequel is spoiler[ Mion and Shion could not have ever switch places as kids.] It would change everything up in the arc too.
Florete

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:11 pm Reply with quote
My perspective on Mion/Shion spoiler[is that we were seeing Mion the whole time until the last scene, where it was Shion. The only strange thing about it is that 'Shion' knew Keiichi's name there despite presumably meeting him then for the first time, but that can probably be hand-waved via something like Mion having talked about him enough to Shion, which is something Mion (or 'Shion,' presumably) mentions having done in the cafe scene.]
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I think there are two possible answers as to what's going on in this episode.

Either spoiler[every "Mion" appearance this episode was actually Shion, including the girl that received the doll from Keiichi] or spoiler[there were no appearances by Shion at all and it was only Mion]. Either way I do think it's extremely likely that spoiler[only one of the twins was truly in this episode.]
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:33 am Reply with quote
And my response to the people making this pointless exercise: "So?"

The point of this original story arc was only the twist and the real story was covered in its answer arc later in the season.... following season for the people who think everything was streamed; I've already heard Gou called season 5 as if this franchise wasn't confusing enough... but as I said elsewhere, the first story already used this ending spoiler[as well as the twin swap maybe] so the only question I have is, well, what are they going to do for an encore.

I didn't use a question mark? OK, the only mild interest I have in this arc is how they'll conclude it.

Going by the ending of the first story, what the makers did to cram this new work into the alternate timeline framework was to break the entire work by adding characters but it's sad that, given the framework, you can have characters act in an infinite amount of ways except you can't add characters.

"This isn't the Infinite Loop, this is now the Infinite Loop +1. Completely different."
"But you took the ending from a different story..."
"Completely different."

I love Higurashi but people didn't go back to it because it didn't properly end, they went back to it just to go back to it.... which considering how inclusive Higurashi was, should just mean watching Higurashi again.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
And my response to the people making this pointless exercise: "So?"

My guess is that all this is to lull viewers into a false sense of security; much like Rika herself, we’re primed to see this as Higurashi 2.0 (or whatever the correct number is), but I suspect this is to ultimately upend our expectations for what kind of story this will be. My money is on this ending in tragedy this time, with no way out of the loop, ultimately answering how the stinger for Higurashi Kai came to exist. There’s just waaaaay too much stuff in the opening that hints at a larger story for me to think otherwise. So my answer would be something like “Wait and see.”
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 23