• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jex2193

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:51 pm Reply with quote
TnAdct1 wrote:
blahmoomoo wrote:
All of those Detective Conan references when she was introducing the segment where she shrank were really funny! I wonder if the manga did that too, or if it was an embellishment by the anime (like what Kaguya-sama's anime does).

The Detective Conan parody was included in the manga version as well.

From what I heard, the anime took it a step further. My BF and I laughed so hard for that whole segment.
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I love this show-it's such a breath of fresh air compared to all the other stale moldy shit out there.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:23 am Reply with quote
Probably my favorite show off the season. My face hurts at the end of each episode from smiling and laughing so much. Pure genius. My family agrees.
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, why is Quilladillo embarrassed if he's technically always naked?

This reminded me of a brilliant show of Dutch comedian Harrie Jekkers, in which he explains why he hated Donald Duck. Which had something to do with the fact that Donald Duck always walks around in his bare ass.

Always, except....

And yes, Donald Duck also feels embarrassed when he loses his swimwear...

As for our Sleepy Princess, while I really liked the first episode, a was a bit worried is it would stay funny for a whole season. Now four episodes in, those worries are long gone....
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Just a small comment: the opening narrative of Ep 5 mentioned that there is fighting occurring in many places, not just with the Hero's Party.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I liked how the episode started with some unexplained sound that would probably leave you wondering what could possibly be making it, only to reveal it was the princess, with a vuvuzela of all things, an instrument I would like to believe is understood internationally as incredibly annoying.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:40 am Reply with quote
^That made me laugh because a couple of weeks ago I was complaining about the knocking sound effect making me think someone was at the door, so this time I'm sitting there, "Jeez, what are they doing this time?" So I was startled when it turned out to actually be part of the story. Laughing
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:42 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I liked how the episode started with some unexplained sound that would probably leave you wondering what could possibly be making it, only to reveal it was the princess, with a vuvuzela of all things, an instrument I would like to believe is understood internationally as incredibly annoying.

That was a pretty good joke. I thought something was wrong with the audio or I was hearing things Laughing
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:13 am Reply with quote
So I'm the only bothered by how unharpy Harpy is? There's also the fact she has six limbs but never mind that because what she actually is is an angel.

The artist designed Harpy just for a throw away gag as a more typical harpy would actually be hugging the princess if she tried to cover herself with harpy wings and not potentially kicked off a small bed.
But then there's the notion that all beings and things at the Demon Castle are there to serve the princess... it would explain a number of things- such as how the brother of a dryad is an actual tree- but it also suggests the notion that she is creating them.
In her sleep...
The Dawner party...

Ah.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
So I'm the only bothered by how unharpy Harpy is? There's also the fact she has six limbs but never mind that because what she actually is is an angel.

The artist designed Harpy just for a throw away gag as a more typical harpy would actually be hugging the princess if she tried to cover herself with harpy wings and not potentially kicked off a small bed.
But then there's the notion that all beings and things at the Demon Castle are there to serve the princess... it would explain a number of things- such as how the brother of a dryad is an actual tree- but it also suggests the notion that she is creating them.
In her sleep...
The Dawner party...

Ah.

Well, here is the 5e D&D picture of a harpy.

I don't think that the six limbed harpy is that uncommon in fantasy (a further look shows that D&D has been pretty consistent with it), and only done to give the harpy wings on their back. Based on the fact that Harpy is also wearing some sort of long sleeves over her hands I am assuming she also has sharp talons instead of human hands like the birdmaids of Interspecies Reviewers.

As for the brother of a dryad being an actual tree, again according to the likes of D&D a Dryad is a spirit of a single tree, it wouldn't be out of the question that two trees could be siblings to each other. In fact the fantasy ideas often are that dryads protect other trees because they are their family.
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:30 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
....with a vuvuzela of all things, an instrument I would like to believe is understood internationally as incredibly annoying.

The vuvuzela has actually been used before in fantasy, even by Tolkien: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B2LPxggvqY
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:09 pm Reply with quote
WizardOfOss wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
....with a vuvuzela of all things, an instrument I would like to believe is understood internationally as incredibly annoying.

The vuvuzela has actually been used before in fantasy, even by Tolkien: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B2LPxggvqY

Laughing I remember that, good times.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Note: an Alraune is not a dryad. Usually it's the R-18 version of what might happen to a mandrake. And as far as Neo Alraune is concerned, she isn't a tree but a lily of the valley.

These two new ladies... from reading the manga, Neo Alraune is 100% how I imagined her in colors, demeanor and voice, while harpy is the opposite: I imagined her with cold colors, a lot of white and her voice being a subdued shy ball of anxiety, instead she sounds quite peppy.

Quote:
Of course, since even guys like Quilladillo and the Poison Apple Squad forget

Come think of it, did they skip the apple episode? I don't remember watching their horrific deaths animated.

Quote:
By this point, I think we can safely assume that none of the guy demons really see the princess as a true captive anymore.

Well, when it comes to nobility and politics the difference between a hostage and a guest is whether they're allowed to go outside on their own or not.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:23 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

Come think of it, did they skip the apple episode? I don't remember watching their horrific deaths animated.

I think they did. I keep waiting for it, since they're so clearly shown in the opening, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was pushed aside to develop the Demon Cleric storyline.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's also worth noting that Syalis hasn't killed anyone distinctly humanoid,

During the detective conan parody, I remember her killing in cold blood everybody (except the one carrying her on his arms, which makes sense, she then would fall to the floor), but what is a bit of murder among friends Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5