• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:38 pm Reply with quote
^
Just "kinda" saw it coming?

There's a character named Dix who behaves like a total d*** and way too many people watching with juvenile minds. . .

Anyway, I like quite a bit how Dix and especially Ikelos are both being portrayed. The adaptation hits the nail on the head on both of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:23 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
Just "kinda" saw it coming?

There's a character named Dix who behaves like a total d*** and way too many people watching with juvenile minds. . .

Anyway, I like quite a bit how Dix and especially Ikelos are both being portrayed. The adaptation hits the nail on the head on both of them.

OK fine. Saw it coming a mile away with sirens blaring.

Quote:
This is worth mentioning because both Dix and his god are among the most mundane-looking characters when it comes to design.

Indeed though whenever I see reaction videos on youtube the thing that got people's attention about them was the fact that Ikelos wore a modern traksuit when he's first seen cos it looks so out of place in Danmachi's setting
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:55 am Reply with quote
The director seems Rushed! Why one must ask? Due to the crappy app is the answer... they seem to think the app can do anime. Grr...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:56 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

do you find it weird though!? can tolerate its from infamous series like BB & TA, but make my skin crawl for non R18 series?

I don't think it's weird at all - it's a question of expectations. In an R18 series, you expect there to be sexual content that you might not love because of the tropes associated with adult works. But in anything else it's like a slap in the face because you aren't expecting it to be there. Sometimes that can work for shock value, but a lot of the time it feels like what author Nancy Lamb calls a betrayal of the promise the creator/author made to you about what the story would contain.

*Warning: Mythology Ahead*

Now I'm curious. If a work is highly derivative of mythology, Greek mythology in particular... I have no idea how to finish this. I'm so used to Greek myths I'm like "Uh huh, Daedalus, Knossos, labyrinth... right, so was there there a bull furry suit here too or is it just implied?"
To me, making that is what Daedalus is known for, the Labyrinth was just clean up work. Gods don't ask permission and people are half human half animal monsters for a reason, it's a given. When I saw the Arachne, I immediately thought "So who got on Athena's bad side this time?"... followed by "Even Monster Musume hasn't quite worked how the physical logistics yet... the intent's there, I get it, but exactly what is he going to do?" Mermaids, slimes, lamae, even centaurs but even Okayado has taken a hard pass on spider body, woman's torso.
So far.
Greek Myths and Japan, they really go a little too well together
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Poor Ariadne…whose name shares a few letters with something Aiz is occasionally called.

Is this referring to "Ariel" or something else? I thought that was an attack/defense name, not a nickname. oO

Quote:
there are probably plenty of people who would even question his evilness.

I know you meant "wouldn't," but in case you felt like correcting it.

Quote:
actual monsters rarely function like poison dart frogs and wear their danger on their skin.

I liked that. Smile Good review, and I learned a couple of things too.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:52 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Is this referring to "Ariel" or something else? I thought that was an attack/defense name, not a nickname. oO

Crap, maybe it's a book thing? I meant spoiler[Aria], which now that I'm thinking about it could be from Sword Oratoria.

Quote:

Good review, and I learned a couple of things too.

Thank you! Very Happy
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Crap, maybe it's a book thing? I meant spoiler[Aria], which now that I'm thinking about it could be from Sword Oratoria.

Thats actually correct though and its not just spoiler[Aria], You can consider the full name itself if Omori confirmed the Argonaut story in DanMemo to be canon.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:50 pm Reply with quote
All this time, whenever the mention the Xenos by how they carre gear, I'm reminded of that minotaur (or I think that's what it was) that was trained by Freyja's minion to effectively use weapons.
And now we're at its labyrinth... With some weird reincarnation mechanics going around...
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
All this time, whenever the mention the Xenos by how they carre gear, I'm reminded of that minotaur (or I think that's what it was) that was trained by Freyja's minion to effectively use weapons.
And now we're at its labyrinth... With some weird reincarnation mechanics going around...

Funny you should mention the minotaur Ottar trained back in season1

That said while I can understand why the fight between the new Xenos vs Aisha, Ryu, and Asfi was mostly skipped I still wish they didn't skip it as it was a pretty intense fight that nearly killed them. But DAMN did I love that last scene. You can practically feel Bell's fear and panic because of what he's going to do.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:13 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
But DAMN did I love that last scene. You can practically feel Bell's fear and panic because of what he's going to do.

This. This so much. As an anime only, this season has been good so far but it was in that moment when I thought it became great. That scene was so tense I involuntarily held my breath watching it. I knew what was going to happen because of who Bell is and what makes him a true hero, but damn that was painful. He doesn't deserve the storm his choice will cause.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:59 pm Reply with quote
^
And that scene isn't complete yet. Anime-only viewers will probably be surprised by the audacity of what gimmick Bell comes up with to try to save Weine. I look forward to seeing people talk about it next week.

Frankly, I loved every single bit about how this episode played out. Yeah, seeing more about how the black minotaur trashes the Floor 18 hunting party might have been nice, but the few scenes that got shown conveyed the point; Shakti, the captain of Ganesha Familia, is a Level 5 but got taken out like she was nothing. The adaptation team instead (correctly) focused more on the Bell/Dix fights and Dix and Ikelos's explanations for how he's basically using sadism to overcome a bloodline compulsion. Weine's transformation and the final scene with Loki Familia were also handled extremely well.

And did anime-only viewers pay attention to Hermes' reaction in the final shot? Hermes has spend the previous two seasons pushing Bell towards being a hero, and this is the first time that he has reacted negatively to something heroic that Bell has done. Remember that, because it's not an idle detail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:55 pm Reply with quote
In an entertainment landscape where the popular conception of heroics is one of smug confidence, where the cool thing to do is succeed without effort or fear, I love this show's approach to it: Heroics isn't about being strong enough to do be able to do the right thing, but about deciding to do the right thing despite not knowing that it will turn out fine. Bell's fear all throughout this arc (even his hesitance at picking up Wiene in the first place) is such a refreshing change from an onslaught of grinning protagonists cheesing their way to their next one-liner.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:12 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Thats actually correct though and its not just spoiler[Aria], You can consider the full name itself if Omori confirmed the Argonaut story in DanMemo to be canon.

thats more of a given since he mentioned in his twitter account that the argonaut arc in the game when that arc first preimered is canon!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:24 pm Reply with quote
[quote="jr240483"]
GhostD wrote:
thats more of a given since he mentioned in his twitter account that the argonaut arc in the game when that arc first preimered is canon!

Then I rest my case
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Really love in the end of the episode how all of the things that were once Bell's allies - the sun, the townspeople, the cavalry of Loki Familia - are now his enemies, and by his conscious decision. There's no playing anything off at this stage.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13