• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Higurashi: When They Cry – GOU

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Or they Will just be interesting arcs?
I think they will add some tatarigoroshi elements here as that was hinted as a posibility in arc seven.
Best case, we will get even more new stuff, maybe even the real persona of that umineko girl will get confirmed, which is more interesting because of her background love story.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This episode gives you a pretty good grasp on the personality differences between the two, namely Shion is shy.

With the confidence and playfulness she displays in this episode, not to mention the ease with which she controls every interaction she has with Keiichi and Mion, "shy" definitely isn't a word I'd use to describe her.[/quote]
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Oops, my italic tag got eaten. It was supposed to read: Shion is not shy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:07 am Reply with quote
Now i dont see any hints of tatarigoroshi here, so i guess now mion will be the culprit?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:28 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Oops, my italic tag got eaten. It was supposed to read: Shion is not shy.

Ahhh, makes so much more sense now! For a second I felt like you’d gotten Shion and Mion mixed up partway through! Very Happy

My current theory is that spoiler[Mion] will be the culprit this time, spoiler[impersonating Shion because she thinks Keiichi prefers Shion to Mion.] I am curious if we’ll actually get to see spoiler[her airsoft gun] used or not because it seems to be rather conspicuously unused in both the game and the original series.

Last edited by whiskeyii on Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:27 am Reply with quote
Even while I said characters can act in an infinite amount of ways, one caveat to that is Mion was never spoiler[infected in any of them Seems it seems like an infection that would take days to manifest, the infection should take place to the prior to the cotton drifting festival. What keeps happening in each loop is that a different infected person takes action first but they're all potentials except for Mion and Riku.]

"That was Mion but that was Shion last time." Here's something that will sadly be news to the creator: It doesn't matter. There is one story that had an ending with events leading up to it that mattered and this isn't it. And with that gone, all we're left with is just how it will be different... until the next loop starts.

I was excited by the notion of a remake, I was enticed by the notion of a sequel, a story about "So what happens next." Gou is neither and even just trying to copy the original anime is a hopeless cause. "You know the original? Well, here's a twist!" But the original already had twists so making a new twist in the place of old ones can only cause them to untwist.

They should have just done the remake, you know, try to better the original.
Florete

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
given how Mion knows Keiichi is lying about his whereabouts during the festival, it seems pretty likely to me that it was Mion during the late night phone call. She makes Keiichi acknowledge details of the night that both of them would know are true.

I considered this, too, but she was wearing Shion's outfit and had Shion's hair. If Mion wanted to meet up with Keiichi and pretend to be Shion this makes sense, but over a phone call?

And I also want to see more from Rika's perspective. Doing it like it has been was fine at first as a sort of refresher, but knowing the events of the original series is making these episodes now feel like they're dragging along too much.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:

I considered this, too, but she was wearing Shion's outfit and had Shion's hair. If Mion wanted to meet up with Keiichi and pretend to be Shion this makes sense, but over a phone call?

And I also want to see more from Rika's perspective. Doing it like it has been was fine at first as a sort of refresher, but knowing the events of the original series is making these episodes now feel like they're dragging along too much.

I think it's possible that this was to fool the audience. The original Higurashi had a lot of, shall we say, unreliable narration rendered in visual form that wasn't made clear til the Answers arc. It's entirely possible that we "saw" Shion because we're seeing that moment from Keiichi's perspective, and he assumed he was talking to Shion.

As for the seeming repetition, I do wonder if this is what the production company meant by this being for both new and oldcomers alike: it shows new scenarios for newcomers that are somewhat different from the original, giving them a reason to watch this over the original, but the meta-narrative is something for the veteran fans to pore over and try to piece together. Personally, I'm just having fun trying to guess the twists before they happen, but I do think we won't see much in the way of the meta-narrative til maybe ep 13, which would represent the end of cour 1 and the start of cour 2, since original Higurashi also had this divide, just between its first 26-episode season and the next.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:49 am Reply with quote
It's also possible she dressed as her to go do something then came back home and made the phone call.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Delicious bernkastel voice.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:24 pm Reply with quote
And episode 8 ends raising more questions than it answers, i loved that.
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm willing to put money on it spoiler[actually being Mion in this episode. She's far too composed to be Shion. My guess is that things were on track to end like the Watanagashi arc but Mion wasn't blindsided by Shion this time. She might have even killed her in self defense.] The arc ending with Mion and Satako spoiler[shooting each other dead is too obvious.] It's gotta be a red herring. I loved the episode though, spoiler[particularly what I think was suppose to be Mion sacrificing herself to save Keiichi. Really fits with her character and is a nice shake up to how most characters go out at the end of an arc.] I just hope the answer arc doesn't change what I think is spoiler[Mion's motivation.]
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
. Does GOU plan to use the same Question Arc/Answer Arc format?

I hope it does not, although it seems very likely; My theory here is that the bad killings were done by one girl while the good killings were done by the other girl; taht takano constantly runs also seems to fit the theory that spoiler[rika tells tomitake then eh tells takano what is going on, and tokyo is the one doing now the dirty work, probably with okonogi betraying takano] that fits the hints given in the 8th arc of the regular series (ignore the anime origila arcs).
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:23 am Reply with quote
I agree that I think Mion was too composed to be Shion. That said, I would then think there's a lot of mystery about what led to Shion's death and Rika's death. I just have a hard time believing Mion would dispose of Rika in the septic tank, unless she's privy to idea of spoiler[Hinamizawa Syndrome and believes Rika is the "queen bee"], but that would only be a reason to kill her, I still don't thinks he'd dispose of her that way.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:45 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I agree that I think Mion was too composed to be Shion. That said, I would then think there's a lot of mystery about what led to Shion's death and Rika's death. I just have a hard time believing Mion would dispose of Rika in the septic tank, unless she's privy to idea of spoiler[Hinamizawa Syndrome and believes Rika is the "queen bee"], but that would only be a reason to kill her, I still don't thinks he'd dispose of her that way.

I think mion spoiler[did not do any bad killings, she genuinely tried to save keichi, maybe she killed shion to stop her, i think Rika told her about Tokyo and the yamainus, mion talking about the person that is using the curse to hide the murders is notabout the three families But about Takano]
Having Takano and tomitake run away makes me think that rika, Takano and tomitake have figured out that spoiler[Takano is sick with the syndrome and that is why she kills people, Tokyo is just manipulating her for political power, that is why the two run away, satoko probable eavesdropped and that explains her actions]
It's like that specific manga arc , kataribanashi hen, that ends in a tie.

God i love this franchise, i have not had this much fun with specula since umineko.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 23