• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jujutsu Kaisen

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I say welcome to best girl Maki. Nobara is great and awesome but my rebellious weapon master lass Maki can't be beaten!

spoiler[Special Grade dork curses not-withstanding]

I also find it strange that they chose to picture Megumi as being thrown through buildings. This messes up the power grading of the series a little bit and gives the wrong impression but I get what they're going for.

So far the adptation has been good but I feel that some moments, like Malevolent Shrine, haven't really been as strong as I expected they'd be. There are a few upcoming scenes spoiler[(Jogo vs Gojo, Immensurable Void, Self-Embodiment of Perfection)] that I'm really excited to see so I hope they can deliver it there.

So far, so good, really.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:47 pm Reply with quote
The scene with the waiter bailing on work felt like it was straight out of Chainsaw Man, to be honest. Really glad it kept that feel animated(if not more so). Laughing
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
The scene with the waiter bailing on work felt like it was straight out of Chainsaw Man, to be honest. Really glad it kept that feel animated(if not more so). Laughing

There are a lot of Chainsawman-esque moments in JJK. Or rather, given that JJK came first, there are a lot of JJK-like moments in Chainsawman.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:32 pm Reply with quote
That restaurant scene was definitely something else. Out of curiosity I checked out how it was done in the manga and it was much more toned down (the references by Yuuji to other Jump properties was also toned down or not present). The more horrible version that was animated leaves a much stronger impression though, so I can't say it's necessarily a bad change, though I could see people feeling like it went too far from (what I presume is) the tone of manga.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:14 am Reply with quote
It was quite satisfying to see Sukuna instantly kill Yuji the moment he got the chance; Kurama he is not. Also love the banality of the arson in a family restaurant, honestly more intimidating than if there'd been humans strung up by their entrails in a candlelit dungeon.

Maki is bae and the entire segment with Yuji learning about cursed energy and training was an absolute gutbuster.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:30 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
That restaurant scene was definitely something else. Out of curiosity I checked out how it was done in the manga and it was much more toned down (the references by Yuuji to other Jump properties was also toned down or not present). The more horrible version that was animated leaves a much stronger impression though, so I can't say it's necessarily a bad change, though I could see people feeling like it went too far from (what I presume is) the tone of manga.

I kept staring at the screen aghast, thinking that this isn’t how it went down in the manga. I don’t like that the show is gorier with a bigger kill count. This isn’t Chainsaw Man; the deaths of innocent bystanders is supposed to mean something in this series (like how Tadashi was handled), so it should avoid being too kill happy onscreen.

But overall I liked the episode. The “training by watching movies” is silly but it’s completely original! Gojou is a great character, and not a half bad teacher.
ETX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:12 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I kept staring at the screen aghast, thinking that this isn’t how it went down in the manga. I don’t like that the show is gorier with a bigger kill count. This isn’t Chainsaw Man; the deaths of innocent bystanders is supposed to mean something in this series (like how Tadashi was handled), so it should avoid being too kill happy onscreen.

But overall I liked the episode. The “training by watching movies” is silly but it’s completely original! Gojou is a great character, and not a half bad teacher.

I really don't see how that scene being gorier in the anime is an issue.

spoiler[During the Shibuya arc civillians en-masse are being killed like flies]

If anything it's nice that it wasn't toned-down compared to the manga.
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:09 am Reply with quote
This latest episode was such a mess. It went from comedy to death and back in a blink of an eye, with nothing really in between. It lacked the empathy and compassion that some of the earlier episodes had, which made the transitions between the tones work. They tried it in the scene with the mother, but it felt perfunctory at best, and had little connection to anything else in the episode. Comedy in a darker story can work, but it can also be difficult to do it right. I only hope this doesn't turn out to be another Taboo Tattoo in that regard.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:58 pm Reply with quote
After I think episode 4, I blazed through the entire manga on Viz's site in a matter of days. So even though I had just read the chapters making up episode 7 a couple weeks ago, I've been super eager to see the domain expansions animated, and boy, did MAPPA deliver! This series is knocking it out of the park, and I haven't noticed any real downturns in animation quality so far.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:48 pm Reply with quote
A simple way to conceptualize Gojo's Infinity is thinking about the Achilles and the Turtle paradox - if you divide space by half continually, you keep advancing, but never reaches anywhere. The space between any two points can always be expressed as a fraction. By adding to this infinity, you can expand space and stop movement, by detracting from it you can move large distances in a second.

spoiler[And by doing both at the same time, you can completely annihilate matter]
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:57 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
A simple way to conceptualize Gojo's Infinity is thinking about the Achilles and the Turtle paradox - if you divide space by half continually, you keep advancing, but never reaches anywhere. The space between any two points can always be expressed as a fraction. By adding to this infinity, you can expand space and stop movement, by detracting from it you can move large distances in a second.

spoiler[And by doing both at the same time, you can completely annihilate matter]

That really does help conceptualize his spoiler[Red, Blue, and finally Purple techniques]!
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, as ThatMoonGuy says, it seems like Gojo's power is an actualized version of Zeno's Paradox. This was famously discredited by a contemporary philosopher who said, "I refute you thusly," and kicked a stone with his foot. Mathematically, we've solved the paradox, but at the time, the Greeks had no way of doing so that way.
25thchestnut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Came here to say that beyond the visual spectacle, the explanation/reveal of Gojou's abilities was my favourite part of the episode. Like others above have already clarified, it makes sense with a bit of background knowledge about what Zeno's paradox is -- or in mathematical terms, his ability is basically an asymptote. An incredibly cool concept that is OP because it follows its own consistent, internal logic.
Gingi7890

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:01 am Reply with quote
I've read the manga, and I'm loving the series so far.

One neat thing (well, I think is neat anyway) is how they change the group picture in the intro every time they add more characters. (in the first few episodes, it was only Itadori, now it's expanded). Those are the kinds of things I wish more anime would do. Smile I'm also glad the animation quality is staying up - it really makes it a nice series to watch.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:50 am Reply with quote
Gingi7890 wrote:
I've read the manga, and I'm loving the series so far.

One neat thing (well, I think is neat anyway) is how they change the group picture in the intro every time they add more characters. (in the first few episodes, it was only Itadori, now it's expanded)

I really like that too! I've been wondering if it's just a cool artistic flourish, or spoiler[if it's a subtle callout to Yuji's unexplained memory-creating ability; continually adding characters to this picnic memory. Though I'm likely overthinking that...]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 16