• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:39 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
There's no playing anything off at this stage.

Actually there is, but with consequences. Wait and see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:05 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
GhostD wrote:
the Argonaut story in DanMemo

the argonaut arc in the game

So is calling Bell "Argonaut-kun" a game-only thing, or has it been explained in the anime and I just (probably) forgot? Cause I had no idea what that meant. (For that matter, I've forgotten why people keep calling him a rabbit. I'm just all-around the worst at remembering names. Smile)
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:10 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm just all-around the worst at remembering names. Smile

I don't know, I may have you beat there. Laughing
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:58 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
GhostD wrote:

So is calling Bell "Argonaut-kun" a game-only thing, or has it been explained in the anime and I just (probably) forgot? Cause I had no idea what that meant. (For that matter, I've forgotten why people keep calling him a rabbit. I'm just all-around the worst at remembering names. Smile)

Bell's character being tied to 'Life of Theseus' and 'The Argonautica' (Theseus was shanghaied into the story of Jason by Apollonius,) has been a thing from the beginning chapters of the source material and the anime's first season's episode 1.

(Under the hood Danmachi is a pretty in-depth look at Greek & other culture's mythologies..Even Loki being female is true to Norse & Germanic myths.)
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:38 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
GhostD wrote:

No its really part of the story. Tiona calls him that because his fight with the minotaur reminded her of the Argonaut story which got fleshed out in DanMemo. And he's called a rabbit due to his ruby red eyes and white hair which I initially thought to be due to albinism spoiler[but it turned out to be inherited traits from his parents].

Quote:
In an entertainment landscape where the popular conception of heroics is one of smug confidence, where the cool thing to do is succeed without effort or fear, I love this show's approach to it: Heroics isn't about being strong enough to do be able to do the right thing, but about deciding to do the right thing despite not knowing that it will turn out fine. Bell's fear all throughout this arc (even his hesitance at picking up Wiene in the first place) is such a refreshing change from an onslaught of grinning protagonists cheesing their way to their next one-liner.

A lot of OP isekai protagonists could stand to learn from Bell which is ironic as DanMachi isnt an isekai.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:55 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
No its really part of the story. Tiona calls him that because his fight with the minotaur reminded her of the Argonaut story which got fleshed out in DanMemo.

That's not quite what I meant. It's obviously part of the anime now, but I don't remember her calling him that before this episode, so I wondered if I just never noticed before, or if they were mixing media here, expecting everyone to be up on all that.

Thanks for the info. Do I need to know what DanMemo's version of the Argonaut story is, or can I just go by the classical Greek? Smile
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:15 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
GhostD wrote:
No its really part of the story. Tiona calls him that because his fight with the minotaur reminded her of the Argonaut story which got fleshed out in DanMemo.

That's not quite what I meant. It's obviously part of the anime now, but I don't remember her calling him that before this episode, so I wondered if I just never noticed before, or if they were mixing media here, expecting everyone to be up on all that.

Thanks for the info. Do I need to know what DanMemo's version of the Argonaut story is, or can I just go by the classical Greek? Smile

She called him that the first time back in season 1 when she meets Bell in the 18th floor and again in season 2 before she and Ais starts training Bell for the War Game. Im only a little familiar with the story of Thesius. There are few similarities like the minotaur in a labyrinth and a girl named Ariadne being sacrificed to it but its thats pretty much all. Its much better to experience DanMemo's version. Thankfully there are youtube channels dedicated to showing the stories in the game. Some canon stories like Argonaut and Astrea Records are briefly mentioned in the LN but only truly fleshed out in the game
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:37 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Im only a little familiar with the story of Thesius. There are few similarities like the minotaur in a labyrinth and a girl named Ariadne being sacrificed to it but its thats pretty much all.

Aridane, the half-sister to the Minotaur- was not nor to be sacrificed- was in charge of the labyrinth.It was Aridane who armed Theseus so he could fight the Minotaur,and it was she who gave him the ball of thread so he could escape the labyrinth.

Aridane was a major(tragic of course) love interest for Theseus.

The labyrinth was created by Daedalus...Daedalus who grew so jealous of his nephew Perdix's abilities that he tossed him off the Acropolis.

Theseus was a famous womanizer.

Minotaurs play a large role in the world of Danmachi....

In short. A good part of Danmachi is grounded in "Life of Theseus" by Plutarch,with flashes of Homer and other Greek epics.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

The DanMachi version has some definite similarities to the legend of Theseus and the Minotaur, but there are also critical differences, especially in the character of Argonaut.

Being familiar with the Argonaut story is not at all necessary for understanding what's going on in the anime (or the novels, for that matter), but it does help flesh out the world's backstory and is a surprisingly emotional tale in the end. It's worth checking out if you enjoy the anime.

My feature article about DanMemo talks about this a bit more and has links to YouTube compilations. IIRC the whole thing is a 5-6 hour time commitment, so it'll be about equivalent to reading a novel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Ok, thanks. I guess what really was confusing me was connecting the Minotaur/Labyrinth with the Argonauts. While Theseus was reportedly among Jason's crew, afaict he wasn't the focus of any of their notable encounters along the way, and the timelines for his other exploits and dalliances make sailing with them impossible, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯... And his encounter with the Minotaur wasn't during the Argo's voyage anyway, so connecting the two had me scratching my head. I'm not a Greek mythology scholar, so maybe I've got all that wrong, but that was my mindset while trying to figure out why she was calling him that (honestly, I still don't get it, but further explanation probably won't help and it's hardly important. Smile).
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ok, thanks. I guess what really was confusing me was connecting the Minotaur/Labyrinth with the Argonauts. While Theseus was reportedly among Jason's crew, afaict he wasn't the focus of any of their notable encounters along the way, and the timelines for his other exploits and dalliances make sailing with them impossible, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯... And his encounter with the Minotaur wasn't during the Argo's voyage anyway, so connecting the two had me scratching my head. I'm not a Greek mythology scholar, so maybe I've got all that wrong, but that was my mindset while trying to figure out why she was calling him that (honestly, I still don't get it, but further explanation probably won't help and it's hardly important. Smile).

There are differing accounts of Theseus's presence on the Argo. One claims he was in the underworld at the time. Personally, while aspects of Bell's character arc and story are similar to Theseus, I feel that Bell has more in common with Jason than Theseus
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:44 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
There are differing accounts of Theseus's presence on the Argo. One claims he was in the underworld at the time. Personally, while aspects of Bell's character arc and story are similar to Theseus, I feel that Bell has more in common with Jason than Theseus

Character-wise, yes. Bell is functioning somewhat as a conglomeration of Jason and Theseus.

But it's also important to remember that original writer Fujino Omori is not using mythologies 100% straight. Although he's made some clever interpretations, he's also taken liberties.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

But it's also important to remember that original writer Fujino Omori is not using mythologies 100% straight. Although he's made some clever interpretations, he's also taken liberties.

Oh, I know. And I'm glad the series isn't just greek heroes in fantasy anime land. I enjoy his use of mythologies especially more obscure monsters like spoiler[the amphisbaena]
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this weeks episode, but the ending felt a bit off. The citizens run away, but then there's a crowd of them. Did they all run back to watch?
Finn throws his spear, tells everyone to take it out immediately, then they just sort of stand around. You'd think they'd at least move in. I get that there needs to be time for Bell to come to his decision and then move, but it's like they're all frozen (did Gareth even get a frame of animation? Laughing).
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:52 pm Reply with quote
If I'm not mistaken, Argonaut is also the name of his power-up skill, right? The one that makes a bell sound and that he used to power up his punch.

Quote:
And boy, do they ever. Wiene is quickly attacked by Loki Familia, who are taking things at face value: a monster has escaped the Dungeon and is attacking Bell and threatening townsfolk. They have no other way to take things, because Ouranos has kept the entire Xenos thing under wraps, only letting a few Familias in on the secret.

How much do they really know? Because they mentioned looking for a jewel on her forehead before attacking Wiene. They were on the lookout for the blue girl.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13