• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Hollywood Reporter: WarnerMedia Cuts About 1,500 Jobs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DjangoDCCX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:16 am Reply with quote
Still think it's a good idea to let AT&T to keep Crunchyroll, forum?
Badej

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:36 am Reply with quote
DjangoDCCX wrote:
Still think it's a good idea to let AT&T to keep Crunchyroll, forum?

Yes, it is because one company owning all the major anime streaming services is a good idea Rolling Eyes .
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:51 am Reply with quote
AT&T is deeply in Debt. It’s a poorly managed company with mediocre offerings at best. This explains why Crunchyroll is licensing less anime recently. Despite 2,000,000 official subscriptions and price hikes of service. Crunchyroll reported 70,000,000
Users or more and its advertising ads are quit limp for so many eye balls.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:04 am Reply with quote
This really upset me, the CEO can easily cut there pay and save some (probably all the jobs). But no, they to greedy.
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:39 am Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
This really upset me, the CEO can easily cut there pay and save some (probably all the jobs). But no, they to greedy.

Has any company besides Nintendo ever actually done this? Had the CEO/President take a voluntary pay cut in order to avoid having to make cuts elsewhere?
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:13 am Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:

No, but, you see, those hundreds of people have to take one for the team. There's no 'I' in team*, afterall.

*unless you're the one person responsible for most of the decisions and can mostly unilaterally decide how things are going to be.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:51 am Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:

This is rarely the case. Even if the CEO makes millions that doesn't go very far when you're talking about thousands of jobs. I have no idea what Kilar is paid but the internet seems to think his net worth is between 1 and 5 million. Let's say he's worth 5 million and he sells every penny to his name, and let's assume that his average employee costs $100k a year for salary + taxes + benefits + overhead, etc. That means he could save 50 jobs for 1 year....yet they're talking about cutting 1500 jobs. Not even close.

KefkaesqueXIII wrote:

Has any company besides Nintendo ever actually done this? Had the CEO/President take a voluntary pay cut in order to avoid having to make cuts elsewhere?

It happens often. But outside of exceptional circumstances it rarely does any good because the number don't add up like my example above. It's usually a symbolic move. The money saved by the CEO's pay cut is usually a drop in the bucket compared to the losses the company is facing.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:39 am Reply with quote
I guess launching a streaming service without apps for the two biggest set-top platforms wasn't such a hot idea.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:40 am Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
AT&T is deeply in Debt. It’s a poorly managed company with mediocre offerings at best. This explains why Crunchyroll is licensing less anime recently. Despite 2,000,000 official subscriptions and price hikes of service. Crunchyroll reported 70,000,000
Users or more and its advertising ads are quit limp for so many eye balls.

When I was testing out the free version, I thought it was kind of concerning that a majority of the ads would be for either other shows on Crunchyroll or their merchandise store. Sure, I'd see a fair number of McDonald's ads, but seeing so much self-advertising wasn't very encouraging since it doesn't generate ad revenue.
bennyl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:44 am Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:

This argument never holds water. It's just like one about Walmart and $15 per hour. The Ceo makes $22 million in total compensation, $1,000,000 is in cash, the rest in stock options. They have 1.5 million employees. Take his total compensation and divide it up and every employee can have a $15 PER YEAR raise.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
WarnerMedia as a conglomerate is pretty much a sinking ship weighed down by immense debt and they have made it perfectly clear there are no sacred cows (like yesterday when they expressed interest in selling CNN to Jeff Bezos). Crunchyroll is an asset that has had nothing but bad publicity since their ill-fated attempts at originals began (if you want to rile up people, mention three words - High Guardian Spice, and no, the internet will NEVER forgive CR unless they publicly apologize for it at this point) in a niche market. Unloading it is a quick way to get rid of bad publicity and gain a lot of short term cash to lighten their burden.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
WarnerMedia as a conglomerate is pretty much a sinking ship weighed down by immense debt and they have made it perfectly clear there are no sacred cows (like yesterday when they expressed interest in selling CNN to Jeff Bezos). Crunchyroll is an asset that has had nothing but bad publicity since their ill-fated attempts at originals began (if you want to rile up people, mention three words - High Guardian Spice, and no, the internet will NEVER forgive CR unless they publicly apologize for it at this point) in a niche market. Unloading it is a quick way to get rid of bad publicity and gain a lot of short term cash to lighten their burden.

Dude, no one but people obsessed over it care about HGS at this point. Crunchyroll for Warner isn’t some weird shame or bad publicity. It’s still the largest anime site and that’s why the sales figures for it are so high. It is consistently amazing how narrow your worldview is and how you try to twist reality to it.

{Mod edit}: Make your point without the blatant personal insults.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Is this like a joke post?
Madster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

To whoever you are, chill out. I see you often in the comments and half the time you rail on CR Originals. Yes, CR Originals have had a poor track record, but please for the love of all anime gods stop ragging on them. WarnerMedia is going down the tubes because of poor business decisions, not because of Crunchyroll's average original programming.

Also, Crunchyroll barely wants to acknowledge the existence HGS at this point, so what makes you think they'll apologize for it?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:06 pm Reply with quote
It looks like a people have beat me to the punch here, but I'll add this as an official, exhausted reponse.

Beatdigga, please stop soapboxing about High Guardians Spice.

Yes the initial trailer was probably a huge misfire but there's been almost nothing else about it in a gazillion years at this point. I know that would please a small contingent of people who are real mad that a trailer for a cartoon tried to sell itself on diversity if Crunchyroll admitted it was a mistake and thus a "win"...but it's seriously time to move on. At least until anything actually about the show is relevant.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2