• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Man Arrested for Selling Modified Nude Madoka Magica Figures

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:58 pm Reply with quote
This is wild, I love the choice of preview image too.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Besides the fact that it's obviously piracy or something like that (if I'm correct), why the fudge would he even do that? Gross, and I highly doubt that "paying for living costs" is legitimate.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Besides the fact that it's obviously piracy or something like that (if I'm correct), why the fudge would he even do that? Gross, and I highly doubt that "paying for living costs" is legitimate.

I mean, the custom figure market is pretty common in Japan. I've bought a few myself over the years. They are a way for customs and sculpters to make money.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:

If he's buying official figures to modify, than it wouldn't be piracy, and unless he's mass producing them, there shouldn't be a crime since they're just custom figures.

And why would people do that? Because nude anime figures are awesome.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:

$55,500 in two years for what is probably a side hustle isn't bad money.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
I mean, the custom figure market is pretty common in Japan. I've bought a few myself over the years. They are a way for customs and sculpters to make money.

Correct. Look at photos of anime and game related shops in Akihabara. You'll see glass display cases packed with figures, models, and garage kits. Some of these are factory figures but many of them are one-off custom jobs made by hobbyists. I even remember reading about how some shops in akihabara rent out space in their display cases for people to sell figures they made, sort of like a cosignment system. They are also bought and sold as used goods by the shops.

I wonder exactly what law this guy broke. I belive Japan has a similar first-sale doctrine to the US. After all they have a huge open market for used goods just like most of the world. You can legally sell your used Nike shoes or your old Elvis records even though you don't own the Nike trademark or the rights to Elvis's music. There's nothing illegal about modding or reselling figures--Yahoo Auctions Japan is full of that, as are anime and game shops, dealers rooms at cons, etc--adult figures included. I'm betting there's some other angle here--like he was misrepresenting the figures as authentic or maybe some kind of business tax or permit issue?
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:

He paid for the figure, modified it and sold it to people who appreciated his work - there is nothing inherently ethically wrong with it, even if it trips some laws. It's like selling customised modified cars.

The only reason he likely got in trouble with the law is that he was too successful for his own good.
Neohybrid_kai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:48 pm Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:

The only reason he likely got in trouble with the law is that he was too successful for his own good.

Yeah, same with doujinshi, I follow some artist who customize their collection on IG and twitter and their works is amazing, but they never got any issues since they did it just for personal enjoyment (but who knows they're secretly selling them in behind Laughing )
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:

Its hard times, my friend. I don't doubt he was doing it for living costs.

Quote:

That's happened more than a few times. iirc there was an idol game where they had customized the plushs then had an email to not sell any more outfits for the plush. They were pretty popular too.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:42 pm Reply with quote
It is quite believable that he was doing this to make a living. 55,000 over two years is a nice padding. I concur with those saying, he was too successful, or became too well known.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I think the problem is not that he was selling customized figures, as that is the fruit of his own labor, but that he was selling nude figures of underage girls, which has become extremely forbidden in Japan. The girls are all under the age of 20. Even though, in Japan the age of consent for sexual activity is 13, perhaps Ibaraki is an exception and they arrested him on that excuse. If would be interesting if someone with direct knowledge would provide information on if Shaft studio has some kind of overpowering copyright on its work that prevents anyone else from even breathing on it. Or if that is generally how it is in Japan, and, if so, how do all those customizers get away with it and this one did not? Exceptions always seem to indicate that something is rotten, and this is not Denmark.
(PS--I had to read four articles just to find out the above handful of facts. If there is a tax issue, as Akumachef speculates, I am not even going to look into it as the article doesn't even give a clue. In the end, the cops are probably just leaning on the guy to make an example out of him. The screws are corrupt everywhere, and work for whoever pays the biggest bribes to the politicians.)
lostrune

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Obviously the solution here is for Shaft to offer their own official nude Madoka Magica figures since there's clearly a large demand for them Razz

gridsleep wrote:
I think the problem is not that he was selling customized figures, as that is the fruit of his own labor, but that he was selling nude figures of underage girls, which has become extremely forbidden in Japan. The girls are all under the age of 20. Even though, in Japan the age of consent for sexual activity is 13, perhaps Ibaraki is an exception and they arrested him on that excuse. If would be interesting if someone with direct knowledge would provide information on if Shaft studio has some kind of overpowering copyright on its work that prevents anyone else from even breathing on it. Or if that is generally how it is in Japan, and, if so, how do all those customizers get away with it and this one did not? Exceptions always seem to indicate that something is rotten,

I doubt it. There's plenty other R-18 figures of underage characters. Not to mention all the doujinshi and fanart that never gets touched. This is definitely because of a specific issue relating to this incident, whatever that may be. There's enough Chloe von Einzbern figures out there to showcase age isn't really an issue with sexy merchandise.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:08 am Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
I think the problem is not that he was selling customized figures, as that is the fruit of his own labor, but that he was selling nude figures of underage girls

That was one of my first thoughts too, but then again Akihabara is no stranger to "adult" figurines of underage fictional characters. And let's not forget Comiket--which is attended by hundreds of thousands--openly selling underage doujinshi. Plenty of retail shops sell the same. It seems odd that this guy got busted while many others seem to not draw the same attention. There's a ton of explicit Madoka stuff out there from doujin to figures to cosplay AV. There's either something more to the story or he somehow managed to piss off the wrong person.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:11 am Reply with quote
Regardless of what was being sold, I'm also curious as to what laws were broken in this case?
If you re-paint a figure (say change an outfit from blue to black) and then resell it, would that also be considered an unauthorized modification and violate the same law?
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:14 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Regardless of what was being sold, I'm also curious as to what laws were broken in this case?
If you re-paint a figure (say change an outfit from blue to black) and then resell it, would that also be considered an unauthorized modification and violate the same law?

From a comment on another website:

Quote:
The problem is not the product itself, but how it is advertised. If you buy a car from Nissan and modify it, you still own a Nissan car and can sell it as such. If you take the engine out of your Nissan and install it in your homemade chassis, now you own a homemade car that you can still sell, but not advertise as a Nissan.

The problem is advertising the figure under the name of the character (i.e. trademark violation). Had he sold it with no reference to the series or character, it would’ve been OK. Trademark law is so screwed up that companies can sue even if the product is 100% comprised of original parts. Say, you buy a bunch of original Nissan parts and assemble them together into something indistinguishable from a Nissan car… you can sell it as a brandless self-made car with Nissan parts, but not as a Nissan car.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2