Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Akudama Drive


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kirki



Joined: 11 Jun 2019
Posts: 114
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:11 am Reply with quote
Theory: Swindler and Cutthroat are related. They both have pink eyes and moles on their faces.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 9358
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:48 am Reply with quote
^ You might be on to something there. Now that you've pointed it out, they might be the children in the OP.

Edit: Well, scrap that theory. Very Happy They still might be related, though maybe pink eye is a common trait in this world. Wink


Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blameitonStarBlazers
Subscriber



Joined: 06 Oct 2018
Posts: 134
Location: Westchester, NY
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, shark and bunny definitely make me think there’s a spy in the midst. I don’t know who it is but I vote Brawler as least likely.

This whole thing about people worshipping the train, and no one every going to Kanto, all feels very sketchy, like Kanto doesn’t really exist anymore. Like, it’s giving me a Dark City vibe, or maybe The Island. You know, like, one of those movies where they try to escape from an underground prison, only to find they’re actually on an airless moon, or something along those lines. Or it’s aliens. Yeah, aliens. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Still, the show is tons of fun. I’m gonna grab on tight and hang on for the ride.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Márcio Voltz Jardim



Joined: 19 Dec 2018
Posts: 15
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:10 pm Reply with quote
This protagonist is useless. I don't like the show
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Covnam



Joined: 31 May 2005
Posts: 2086
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Another fun episode. So I guess the vault would have protected the kids from the decontamination or was that the sisters job?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fantaselion



Joined: 22 Dec 2016
Posts: 349
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Márcio Voltz Jardim wrote:
This protagonist is useless. I don't like the show


nice criticism.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TexZero



Joined: 25 Oct 2017
Posts: 448
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Márcio Voltz Jardim wrote:
This protagonist is useless. I don't like the show


I mean you'd be pretty useless too amongst virtual gods.

The trope you're complaining about however is called Fish Outta Water. Which is ironically the point. The protagonist isn't meant to be anything more than a first person observer here and unless something drastic changes that like a hidden past or backstory that's unlikely to change.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rare286



Joined: 15 Oct 2020
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:31 am Reply with quote
This anime is definitely in my top 3 of the season!!! I'm always excited for the next episode. I think it would be kinda interesting, since everyone is convinced that their is a traitor amongst the group, that no one ends up being the traitor at the end. But, in my opinion, if anyone is the traitor it is either going to be Swindler or Doctor. Although, a case for Hoodlum ending up being the traitor is also possible since episode 4 showed how ready he was to switch from Brawler to Cutthroat once Brawler showed himself to be getting weaker.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tuor_of_Gondolin



Joined: 20 Apr 2009
Posts: 3425
Location: Bellevue, WA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the Magic Food Dish, that's exactly how it appeared: magical, as in Clarke's 3rd Law magical. Being able to rearrange individual atoms to create food *from a seemingly empty dish* is beyond Star Trek level tech. It's not just the "think and the food will appear" part, which is already magical enough, but there didn't appear to be any heat or cooling involved in creating the foodstuff. Really, the only way it would be vaguely possible using our understanding of Science would be if there was really no food at all, but their minds were tricked into thinking that there was food and that they were eating. Without such a gimmick -- if food was really being made that way -- that implies some interesting things.

With that level of tech, I would think that Space travel should not be merely easy, but trivial. Also, planetary terraforming or the manipulation of whole continents and climates should not be difficult, either. So, if their tech level is really that high, why is Kansai left the way it is? Is it some sort of control group -- a place left intentionally untouched in case the super-advanced Kanto region makes a mistake? Is it a source of raw materials for making new humans when needed? Or maybe it's an experimental zone?

Maybe I'm making too much out of a couple of bowls, but the implications really are pretty huge, IMO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 2895
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Speaking of the Magic Food Dish, that's exactly how it appeared: magical, as in Clarke's 3rd Law magical. Being able to rearrange individual atoms to create food *from a seemingly empty dish* is beyond Star Trek level tech. It's not just the "think and the food will appear" part, which is already magical enough, but there didn't appear to be any heat or cooling involved in creating the foodstuff. Really, the only way it would be vaguely possible using our understanding of Science would be if there was really no food at all, but their minds were tricked into thinking that there was food and that they were eating. Without such a gimmick -- if food was really being made that way -- that implies some interesting things.

With that level of tech, I would think that Space travel should not be merely easy, but trivial. Also, planetary terraforming or the manipulation of whole continents and climates should not be difficult, either. So, if their tech level is really that high, why is Kansai left the way it is? Is it some sort of control group -- a place left intentionally untouched in case the super-advanced Kanto region makes a mistake? Is it a source of raw materials for making new humans when needed? Or maybe it's an experimental zone?

Maybe I'm making too much out of a couple of bowls, but the implications really are pretty huge, IMO.


Well the explanation given was that it rearrange the atom in air. That has a massive problem since the air in the box would translate into a tiny volume if solidified. If it used ambient air it would need a large volume, so there would be a gust of win created as the box suck in air. If we ignore that explanation, the most likely way this could be done would be if the box had some amount of very heavy element (with high atomic number) and broke those off into smaller elements (carbon, oxygen, nitrogen and such) that would make then make the food.

Anyway, so long as it doesn't become a plot element later on I don't think its worth thinking about it. This show is definitely light on detail and I think it would just crash hardcore if it started focusing on those.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 9358
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:47 am Reply with quote
That review was a delight to read. No typos, no convoluted sentence structures to try to parse, just smoothly flowing, clear and easy-to-read writing. And informative and insightful on top of it all. Five stars. Very Happy

The fact that Cutthroat was content to remain sitting in his bathtub in the cold rainwater the entire time, even sleeping, cracked me up, as did his song. I wish we could've heard him singing more clearly, as Sakurai so rarely does these days.

I guess nearly everybody in this actually does have pink eyes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 931
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:29 pm Reply with quote
(episode 6)

Dang, I knew it was coming since episode 1 but it still hurts to see Knuckles go. I was worried about Hoodlum too (both handles together seemed to mean that she took it from his corpse) but the preview says otherwise. Should have kept it though, Hoodlum's figure with the beam jutte was striking and familiar. And now I have to wonder what will change in Cutthroat after Swindler rejected him, he's kind of a brat so he might take it out on Brother or he might try to change for the better... setting the stage for a self-sacrifice.
On that note, I was impressed at how easily Senpai moped the floor with Knuckles (at first) and Cutthroat... but then again, much of my impressions about Cutthroat were because of the grandiose execution stage (which is just this series' aesthetics) and such a generalist term being applies to him, being not a cutthroat but THE Cutthroat (which is just... this series' aesthetic).

Also, I'll need to watch the BD release of this, without all the compression. That fight and its effects were amazing but streaming quality kills a lot of detail and color.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tywhoppity



Joined: 09 Sep 2019
Posts: 51
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:05 pm Reply with quote
To me, one of the most impressive things about ep 6 is Swindler slapping Cutthroat across the face. Almost all the amazing feats done by the others are still within character; Swindler's slap is a long way from being the meek overwhelmed girl in the first couple of eps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Abraham Omosun



Joined: 05 Mar 2020
Posts: 59
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:45 pm Reply with quote
tywhoppity wrote:
To me, one of the most impressive things about ep 6 is Swindler slapping Cutthroat across the face. Almost all the amazing feats done by the others are still within character; Swindler's slap is a long way from being the meek overwhelmed girl in the first couple of eps.


I was expecting someone to slap (some sense) into Cutthroat sooner or later, I wasn't just expecting Swindler to do it. I wonder how he is going to take it. Also predicting that we are going to have a dwindling party with Hoodlum biting the dust next.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaa1e2r3



Joined: 16 Apr 2017
Posts: 99
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Abraham Omosun wrote:
Also predicting that we are going to have a dwindling party with Hoodlum biting the dust next.


Doubt it, if we're following the tropes and writing conventions, as the series has done so far, Hoodlum will most likely be among the final three, not counting the kids, with Swindler and Courier
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group