• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2020 Manga Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And yes, the Republic of San Magnolia's treatment of the 86s is heavily modeled on Nazi Germany and its treatment of Jews and other minority groups. ... I don't doubt that it will be uncomfortable reading for those for whom the Holocaust was personal

I had the first dreams about my grandmother showing me photo albums full of the family that died in the camps in years after finishing it. I have to give it credit for doing the parallel well enough for that, but yeah, I think I'll pass on reading more.

Quote:
I am curious, though; does the manga prominently feature garters when depicting Lena? The original author admits that he has a fetish for them.

Lots of leg, but not much garter!

HannoX, I was SO excited when the license of the original Apothecary novels was announced! I'm glad to hear it's good. Now if someone would just license the Saiunkoku novels... Smile
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

HannoX, I was SO excited when the license of the original Apothecary novels was announced! I'm glad to hear it's good. Now if someone would just license the Saiunkoku novels... Smile

The increase in translations of LNs aimed at a female audience gives me hope that maybe someday Saiunkoku will make its way over here, finally! Considering how much it reminded me of the books I grew up with, I think there'd be a non-otaku audience for it too.
HannoX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The increase in translations of LNs aimed at a female audience gives me hope that maybe someday Saiunkoku will make its way over here, finally!

Not just female audiences. I'm a guy and I still thoroughly enjoy Bookworm and Apothecary. A good story can be enjoyed by both sexes even if it's primarily aimed at one.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:23 pm Reply with quote
HannoX wrote:
Quote:
The increase in translations of LNs aimed at a female audience gives me hope that maybe someday Saiunkoku will make its way over here, finally!

Not just female audiences. I'm a guy and I still thoroughly enjoy Bookworm and Apothecary. A good story can be enjoyed by both sexes even if it's primarily aimed at one.

"Aimed at a female audience" doesn't mean "can only be enjoyed by girls." For a long while only light novels aimed at male readers were coming out in English, so it's nice to see some stuff aimed at other demographics being translated.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:50 am Reply with quote
If Saiunkoku novels ever get licensed and translated then I would at least check them out. The first anime series is a personal favorite, to the point that I rewatch it at least once a year. One of my two fondest "unlikely to be fulfilled" licensing dreams is that someone will pick up the second anime series and release it either physically or in streaming form, even if only subbed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Donkey-er

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:34 am Reply with quote
Is there anybody who can advise me on where the new hardcover edition of Blade of the Immortal is worth the extra money compared to the omnibus edition? I assume it would be very rare to have both editions but maybe somebody was able to compare them in a store or something like that?

I'm currently following the hardcover release of Berserk and really love the edition, but the printing and typesetting are still very slopping at times (notes that did not get removed before printing, big ink smudges from printing errors). Since I never bought Berserk back when I started reading manga this edition is great for me since it's easy to get and looks amazing in by bookcase. But seeing as Blade of the Immortal is a series that is not as exciting to me as Berserk the price of the new edition is a bit much. That being said I'm not sure how easy it would be to get my hands on the omnibus edition at this point.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Strawberry Fields Once Again

The problem with messing with Time, is that you have messed with Time. Going back in Time, to grant a wish your 'supposed' lover wanted, is seemingly foolhardy, because you risk everything you have in the future, or Pure's present.

So either Pure is lying about the future relationship, or Pure is sacrificing that relationship, out of supposed love, to give Akira a better past. Which is fraught with the unknown. Plenty of people have had great childhoods, then crashed an burned right out of the high school gate or turned into horrible people.

Don't mess with Time.........
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Late to the party this time and just started going through the reviews. I'm reading quite a bit at the moment, but always curious about new manga.

Quote:
(“Berkeley-educated” really doesn't mean much to him.)

This jumped out at me in Rebecca's Blue Giant review. It seems to be a mistranslation (on the part of Seven Seas) of Berklee, which is a well-known music college. I don't think UC Berkeley's music programs are nearly as well-known.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:08 pm Reply with quote
^In all fairness, I could have misspelled it, too. I was definitely running on empty towards the end, since I read all but one of the light novels we're covering in a later part of the feature, too. Embarassed Laughing
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
^In all fairness, I could have misspelled it, too. I was definitely running on empty towards the end, since I read all but one of the light novels we're covering in a later part of the feature, too. Embarassed Laughing

No, now that you mention it, I remember that jumping out at me too.

By the way, I want to mention Rebecca is a superstar? I burn out at like half of what she gets done and I don’t even have a day job right now.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:03 am Reply with quote
Huh, it's interesting that Dark Horse released the Reigen spinoff before finishing their release of the original Mob Psycho 100, since it's clearly supposed to take place after the end of the manga (and the anime doesn't adapt the last few volumes).

Anyway, I completely forgot that Yen Press licensed Heterogenia Linguistico a while back, and now that it's finally coming out, I'm definitely going to get it! Really deep fantasy worldbuilding is totally my jam.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:38 pm Reply with quote
About the mapping one, most adventures just go to the same dungeons and maps are easily available.the mc is only useful for adventurers that actually go to new dungeons.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Thank you to all the contributors to Fall 2020 manga guide. I always discover some new gems with this feature. I appreciate you!
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Dark Horse is releasing Eizouken? Cool, I look forward to buying three volumes before they stop releasing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2