• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Venus Wars Anime for Home Video, Digital Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:17 am Reply with quote
Is this the first time that an anime license-rescued by Discotek got license-rescued by some one else?
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:09 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Is this the first time that an anime license-rescued by Discotek got license-rescued by some one else?

Second, Sentai announced Locke the Superman back in August after that horrendous online panel they had was over and then a day later, announced it as subtitled only so it's missing the old Omni dub that was included in the Discotek DVD and I imagine Venus Wars will be missing the Manga UK dub.

Both films were picked up from the same Japanese licensor so this is not as surprising as Locke was, especially with Discotek's licenses for both going OOP a year or two ago.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:48 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Second, Sentai announced Locke the Superman back in August after that horrendous online panel they had was over and then a day later, announced it as subtitled only so it's missing the old Omni dub that was included in the Discotek DVD and I imagine Venus Wars will be missing the Manga UK dub.
Oh really, does that mean there might be a re-dub then like with Vampire Hunter D or was that a special exception. It would be great if Matt Greenfield was ADR director for it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:10 am Reply with quote
Ah, Venus Wars, what a hot mess of a movie. Spectacularly good-looking, but with flat characters and a lopsided narrative. I have a certain amount of nostalgia for it, as dumb as it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:21 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

Both films were picked up from the same Japanese licensor so this is not as surprising as Locke was, especially with Discotek's licenses for both going OOP a year or two ago.

If they cut the Manga UK dub it's not gonna be worth it for me. Stupid decision imo
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't Venus Wars the one that had some scenes where they had cel animation on top of live action scenery footage or something like that?
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about The Venus Wars, but a movie called "Twilight of the Cockroaches" has live-action parts. Is that what you were thinking of?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:07 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Wasn't Venus Wars the one that had some scenes where they had cel animation on top of live action scenery footage or something like that?

Yeah, there was a scene like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
russ869

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I might rebuy if they use the JP BD master.
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:32 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
I don't know about The Venus Wars, but a movie called "Twilight of the Cockroaches" has live-action parts. Is that what you were thinking of?

No, but Penguintruth confirmed my suspicions. I haven't watched Venus Wars since my only option was VHS, so... yeah. I just remember there being a scene where they kept riding vehicles of sorts, and the whole thing was layered over some fuzzy live action video. And I say fuzzy by SD standards, because that was all we had back in the day.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:40 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
If they cut the Manga UK dub it's not gonna be worth it for me. Stupid decision imo

And confirmed

https://twitter.com/zoid9000/status/1329473012232548357
Key

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
No, but Penguintruth confirmed my suspicions. I haven't watched Venus Wars since my only option was VHS, so... yeah. I just remember there being a scene where they kept riding vehicles of sorts, and the whole thing was layered over some fuzzy live action video. And I say fuzzy by SD standards, because that was all we had back in the day.

Yeah, the infamous scene which pulled that stunt was a desert chase/combat scene. Otherwise the move has solid animation and some great vehicle designs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1