• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:19 am Reply with quote
I dunno, I thought the reasoning Kanata is so sleepy all the time was a little... too grounded? I know Love Live characters aren't always consistent across all its forms of media, but since Kanata's introduction back in 2013, her characterization isn't just that she's sleepy all the time, but that she loves sleeping and napping. She's basically like Kumin from Chunibyo.

But I also understand why they did it, because it's awfully hard to have a character who spends all their spare time napping also be driven enough to be a school idol. And a narcoleptic school idol would probably be a bit too serious (Albeit interesting).

I was just interested in how they were going to give a one dimensional character like Kanata an actual personality, and I guess I just expected something a little less typical than "she's sleepy because she's actually tired".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:43 pm Reply with quote
tbh Shizuku was the Niji girl I liked least because she just seemed so boring (tho her singing was nice and Audrey very nearly made it to my LL playlist). However, this episode made me like her more, and tbh her song and costume have been my favorite (Dive is now second best song). I really dig her soliloquy's at the start of some of her songs (she does it in her song on Just Believe).
I loved the good and bad Shizuku's (I'm not sure if bad shizuku was voiced by shizuku or the drama club president but she had a nice voice!).

I wish they'd shown a bit more of her "true self" because I didn't really feel she was too different but I'm hoping she'll speak up more (though I guess not in next ep because it's Karin ep!) so we can see who she really is.

I really wasn't expecting the kasuminxshizuko ship though. This series has given me some unexpected pairings (like Emma x Karin).

Thanks for the factoid on Audrey! Because Shizuku has a solo song called "Audrey" I always assumed it meant Audrey Hepburn but now I know!
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:47 pm Reply with quote
So, after next episode all nine girls will have had their time in the spotlight. Makes me wonder what they are going to do with the remaining four episodes, since this season has no overarching plot besides what was solved in the third episode.

I wonder if they could dedicate those last episodes to "that girl". People who also played the game, do you think four episodes is enough for her plotline?
Nate148

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Why not you as she has not been devoped at all.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:
Why not you as she has not been devoped at all.

Well, the plotline "that girl" kickstarted in the game did end up giving character development to the Player Character, that is, Yu. That's why I was concerned about the number of remaining episodes. It's not like I want them to give four episodes to a single girl, but I also wonder what kind of plot they will give us in only four episodes since, again, they solved any overarching plot they may have had back in episode 3. I defaulted to a plotline from the game because, unlike previous seasons, this one has plenty of previous material to adapt from.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I had assumed that the movie poster was a reference to Shizuku's solo song "Audrey", which is vague, but generally agreed to be about Audrey Hepburn. But the pictures on that poster do look more like Pauline Frederick than Hepburn... So who is the song about??

I would think that Shizuku's idea of old movies would be more of the Hepburn era than the silent movie era, but if you're right and there's a timeline divergence where all those old movies are readily accessible than... who knows?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:28 pm Reply with quote
John the Dark Lord wrote:
So, after next episode all nine girls will have had their time in the spotlight. Makes me wonder what they are going to do with the remaining four episodes, since this season has no overarching plot besides what was solved in the third episode.

I wonder if they could dedicate those last episodes to "that girl". People who also played the game, do you think four episodes is enough for her plotline?

I assume there'll be a season 2 and That Girl and Her Friends will be the core drama. (By the time a second season is made their storyline will be more advanced anyway, seeing as it's in progress at the moment)
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:46 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

I assume there'll be a season 2 and That Girl and Her Friends will be the core drama. (By the time a second season is made their storyline will be more advanced anyway, seeing as it's in progress at the moment)

Looks like my message wasn't as clear as I thought it was. Just to be clear, I didn't mean this girl you are talking about precisely because, as you mentioned, her storyline is in progress. I meant, the girl that came before her. You know, the one that was competing with Setsuna for a certain thing?

The thing is, both season one and the currently on-going season two of the game have brought new girls to be the source of drama. So I was wondering if they wouldn't adapt the storyline of Problem Girl 1 this season, so they could later focus season two of the anime into adapting... season two of the game. Besides, if they tried to adapt both storylines into a single season, Nijigasaki would probably go from the most laid-back entry of the franchise to the most dramatic of them all. Anime watchers need time to catch their breath and calm their hearts!
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Looks like my message wasn't as clear as I thought it was. Just to be clear, I didn't mean this girl you are talking about precisely because, as you mentioned, her storyline is in progress. I meant, the girl that came before her. You know, the one that was competing with Setsuna for a certain thing?

The thing is, both season one and the currently on-going season two of the game have brought new girls to be the source of drama. So I was wondering if they wouldn't adapt the storyline of Problem Girl 1 this season, so they could later focus season two of the anime into adapting... season two of the game. Besides, if they tried to adapt both storylines into a single season, Nijigasaki would probably go from the most laid-back entry of the franchise to the most dramatic of them all. Anime watchers need time to catch their breath and calm their hearts!

It was clear. That's why I said That Girl and Her Friends (Plural, rather than singular if I was talking about In Development Character.) Wink
I'm not sure if there's enough time to add That Girl and her storyline. I mean, we have 3 episodes after Karin's to play around with so it's possible, but it might be cramming too much in... Hmm. Well, if they do add it I hope they can keep the drama and tension at a good level rather than resolving it super quick like they have been so far.

TBF That Girl's plot is still partially in development because of her involvement the Other Girl...
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:01 am Reply with quote
The Shizuku episode was one sword fight away from being a revival of Revue Starlight, and I am 100% here for this.
TaperW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:49 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I dunno, I thought the reasoning Kanata is so sleepy all the time was a little... too grounded? I know Love Live characters aren't always consistent across all its forms of media, but since Kanata's introduction back in 2013, her characterization isn't just that she's sleepy all the time, but that she loves sleeping and napping. She's basically like Kumin from Chunibyo.

Well, the SIFAS characterization sort of evolved to be both -- she absolutely does love sleeping, it's just that she doesn't actually get to do any of it at home. I think the anime going hard on the overwork makes sense for adaptational purposes, and the shift made in her episode doesn't mean she's not still nodding off in the background.

(For a long time I used to dislike general always-sleeping characters, until I decided to turn it around and view it as narcolepsy representation.)
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing

I utterly burst out laughing that this week's episode actually pulled one of the most cliched "misunderstanding" scenes found in lots of rom-com shows. Now it would be revolutionary for the Love Live franchise if they actually committed with Yuu's and Ayumu's relationship with each other even at this day in age, but even I felt that to be a bit far away. Other than that, it's still good stuff especially with Yuu seemingly back in the forefront.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:39 pm Reply with quote
While I have greatly enjoyed Nijigasaki so far, I'm not feeling Ayumu’s drama. Mostly because I think it could have been better foreshadowed. Maybe if the previous episodes had some quick scenes of Ayumu giving those "longing looks" to Yu when she is interacting with the other girls, I would be enjoying it more.

Remember how episode 3 had a much more passionate moment between Yu and Setsuna that finished with Yu not only hugging Setsuna, but also pretty much pushing her down? Ayumu barely reacted back then (hell, Kazumi had a stronger reaction!) and remained the nice girls she was introduced as. Then seven episodes later (how much time is this in-universe? Weeks? Months?) she sees them seemingly hugging again, and now she has a crisis? I mean, Yu has been fangirling over all the other girls in the club and every school idol that showed up, and it's only in the tenth episode that Ayumu realizes that her not-girlfriend isn't "just hers"? I'm sorry, but I’m having a hard time buying this.

Not helping matters is that the fight between Ayumu and Yu/the player character in the game happened for very different reasons, and I personally like the game more in this aspect. Speaking of the game…

Quote:
Alright we'll get to the meat of this episode in a moment, but first we need to discuss the elephant in the student council office. There's something rotten in the state of Nijigasaki and her name is Nana Nakagawa. Or should I say Setsuna Yuki?

Quote:
Granted this is the universe where girls can sing thunderstorms away, but still, maybe you're getting a little too ambitious with all this, girls.

The reviewer hasn't played the game right? Those are the words of an anime only, correct? Man, we should write this down in case Nijigasaki gets a second season. It would be really funny.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While I have greatly enjoyed Nijigasaki so far, I'm not feeling Ayumu’s drama. Mostly because I think it could have been better foreshadowed. Maybe if the previous episodes had some quick scenes of Ayumu giving those "longing looks" to Yu when she is interacting with the other girls, I would be enjoying it more.

For what it's worth, the anime has foreshadowed this, albeit very subtly to the point of being "blink and you miss it" moments. There are moments in the anime where Ayumu is shown being slightly perturbed when Yu fawns over the other girls, namely Kasumi and Setsuna early on. It's just that her jealous traits have been toned down from the anime. If you want a comprehensive list of Ayumu's jealous traits being shown, her character page on TVTropes has a good listing of them: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/LoveLiveNijigasakiHighSchoolIdolClub.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:12 am Reply with quote
I think Nijigasaki actually ended up being my favorite Love Live series so far. I felt like Sunshine really devolved into a combination of "Remember that thing that happened in the first series? Now the opposite is happening!" and making sure that every character gets an opportunity to throw in their catchphrase every episode. It was really refreshing to see a Love Live that isn't afraid to do its own thing, and gives the characters interesting character development and attention without cramming in every character and catchphrase every episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3