• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: act-age Manga Writer Tatsuya Matsuki Admits to Indecent Act Charge in Court

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:19 am Reply with quote
Some cleanup has been done. For starters let's stay on topic. We do not need the same people (you cookiemonstah) bringing up other mangaka in every related topic. Stick to the topic at hand.

Secondly, those of you who want to claim this is not that bad and act as an arbiter for what is or is not sexual harassment, or is or is not damaging to others should really keep your mouths shut more. I guarantee you the vast majority of people who say anything of the sort have never had someone they love go through this, or had to go through it themselves.

I do personally agree with the previously mentioned notion of rehabilitation and therapy. Personal opinions on sexual assault or rape have nothing to do with it. I'll share something my one criminal justice professor told us all. She said you should go to your local jail, pick out 5 random people there, and then make friends with 3 of them. That's because 3 out of 5 will get out and be right back on the street. Yes she was being facetious about making friends. The point was majority of criminal offenders do not stay in jail. Many for short periods as well. They WILL be back in society. Countless studies over multiple decades have shown that criminals without some sort of rehabilitation are many times more likely to become re-offenders. It's not about being nice to them, making friends, or forgiving every transgression. It's about being proactive to try and minimize the chances of them doing the same things, or worse, again. It's why there are tvs in common rooms in jail with select channels, or books, or exercise yards. You want to give them something to do besides spend all day and night focusing on how to escape or injure a guard.

There is no excuse for what Matsuki did. His excuses were bs plain and simple. Simply losing his manga series is hardly punishment. That's simply saying I lost my job so no punitive charges are needed. That's simply ridiculous. I stole a car and crashed it into a school, but I lost my job so it's all good. No it's not. He should get jail time for this, but there should be some sort of therapy or rehabilitation as well.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:35 am Reply with quote
I agree with the rehabilitation to a point. Where is the victim's rehabilitation?

I get, in cases like theft, that might not be such a big deal. If a car gets stolen, the owner of the car usually doesn't experience severe trauma from the experience. But in the case of molestation, grooming and more severe crimes like murder and rape, particularly involving minors as victims? That's going to take years of therapy and even then, there is a good chance that that person may be scarred for the rest of their life. If you look at the backgrounds of many criminals who commit serious crimes, many of them were sexually and physically abused as a children. The unfortunate thing, at least in regards to US society, is that crime often creates more crime. It may not be immediately, such as in cases of abuse of minors, but it is often a trickle down effect from one generation to the next.

It would be interesting to know what Matsuki's background is in that aspect. Not that I'm excusing him for his crime based on what could be a very tormented past, but most people who aren't criminals aren't born with this mindset. It's often the product of years of abuse, whether real or perceived.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:05 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I agree with the rehabilitation to a point. Where is the victim's rehabilitation?

He should have to pay for the victim's rehabilitation/therapy, as well as get jail time and rehab/therapy of his own.
Malphas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:47 am Reply with quote
Canceling the manga as punishment....Come on man.... Rolling Eyes
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:27 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:

He should have to pay for the victim's rehabilitation/therapy, as well as get jail time and rehab/therapy of his own.

That should be included as part of the restitutions in a civil case in favor of the person who was assaulted. Not knowing exactly how Japan's court system works I would say that yes, therapy for the victim should somehow be included in the final judgment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3