• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Talentless Nana

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:02 pm Reply with quote
That was an intense episode.
I like Kyouya. Even though he's clever and actually outsmarted Nana at several points, he isn't quite on her level. However his stakes are much lower. This lets their rivalry go on and on, putting them on equal footing but without their mind games becoming as outlandish as others like Death Note become.

As for this episode's cliffhanger, well, Nana's setup lines and her exaggerated conspicuousness with the pockets make it very clear that Kyouya isn't going to find anything on those. So I'm dying to see whether that phone is on her persona at all or she has it strapped elsewhere, hiding it in her panties would let her operate from the pockets and Kyouya would absolutely never dare search there, assuming the pocket's cloth is thin enough for a capacitive screen.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:24 pm Reply with quote
^
In my casual observations, though, cell phones cannot so easily be concealed under lighter clothing. She might get away with the phone in her panties if Kyoya just has her turn her pockets out rather than actually reaching in them, but it would be pretty obvious otherwise. What he should do is strip-search her, but I doubt he has the gall for that.

But yeah, this was one of the most fun episodes so far and I am eager to see how Nana gets out of it next week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I was really surprised that Nana's poison needles worked on Habu. I was fully expecting that her diet would make her immune, or her talent, since her own saliva is venomous.

I was also surprised at her blunder with the window. She made such a show of noting it and thinking about how busy she was going to be that I expected she planned to use it to her own advantage somehow.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I was also surprised at her blunder with the window. She made such a show of noting it and thinking about how busy she was going to be that I expected she planned to use it to her own advantage somehow.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but if I have my timeline right, I think it has to have been a couple of days since she's gotten any chance to rest. This is happening immediately after the encounter with Yuka, so I'm not surprised her fatigue is starting to catch up with her a little bit and resulting in more and more mistakes.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:17 pm Reply with quote
While I enjoyed this episode, I though Kyouya was a bit too on the nose. Other than the window, it seemed a bit much how accurately he guessed everything. It reminded me of a Sherlock Holmes style mystery reveal, but with less believability to how he got those answers. And for all Nana's skills in reading people and deception, she didn't seem to be able to defend herself very well.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I was really surprised that Nana's poison needles worked on Habu. I was fully expecting that her diet would make her immune, or her talent, since her own saliva is venomous.

I thought the same thing. Pretty risky imo to go after a person with a poison talent with poison. I'm sure hers is a lot stronger and producing poison doesn't necessarily make you immune, but you never know with these abilities.
Florete

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:01 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I was wondering why she opened the window at all. Kyoya is poisoned, so she...opens a window? Why?

Covnam wrote:
While I enjoyed this episode, I though Kyouya was a bit too on the nose. Other than the window, it seemed a bit much how accurately he guessed everything. It reminded me of a Sherlock Holmes style mystery reveal, but with less believability to how he got those answers. And for all Nana's skills in reading people and deception, she didn't seem to be able to defend herself very well.

I think this one is fine. He was already suspicious of Nana and he had all the time in this episode to think about how things could have unfolded. He had his conclusion already, he just needed to work out how to get there.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:08 am Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I was wondering why she opened the window at all. Kyoya is poisoned, so she...opens a window? Why?

I'm guessing she opened the window intentionally, because the show hid her internal thoughts for that action and during the confrontation before the cliffhanger (the show has hid her thoughts and revealed them later before). And intentionally opening the window is supposed to be part of how she wiggles out of this situation. I'm not sure how the window will lead to that though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:51 am Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
I'm guessing she opened the window intentionally, because the show hid her internal thoughts for that action and during the confrontation before the cliffhanger (the show has hid her thoughts and revealed them later before).

I would've thought that too, but in her inner monologue she was chastising herself for making such a blunder. If the "blunder" was intentional, she shouldn't have sounded so panicked in her head. And if it turns out it was intentional, I'm gonna be pissed for that reason. Smile

We might be talking about different things here though. I won't be surprised if opening the window was part of her plan, but I think how she opened it was a mistake.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:56 am Reply with quote
Do you think they will pull the old "You caught me now let events prove im innocent!" gambit?
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:14 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Do you think they will pull the old "You caught me now let events prove im innocent!" gambit?

Something like that, though I did forget she had an inner monologue about accidentally opening the window in a way that required prior knowledge. It would be a bit annoying if the show cut off a "just as planned!" bit after that though, so I suppose opening the window wrong could be a mistake.

Now that I think about it, I think Gina's probably right. Nana was probably testing the window to see if it could be opened while scoping out the place, not specifically to determine how it can be opened (and thus it became subconscious information). So opening the window the way she knew how, from the side without the handle, was likely a mistake.

I still don't have a guess to why opening the window is part of her plan, so there's still a bit of a chance that was intentional.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:15 am Reply with quote
I assume she opened the window because she was playing the role of a concerned classmate, and while Kyoya dying wasn't a problem, the poison was making him overheated (taking off his jacket, gasping for air...) so it makes sense.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:04 am Reply with quote
Violet Park wrote:
I assume she opened the window because she was playing the role of a concerned classmate, and while Kyoya dying wasn't a problem, the poison was making him overheated (taking off his jacket, gasping for air...) so it makes sense.

That's exactly what it was. Iirc, in the manga, Kyoya even tells them to open a window.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:21 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
We might be talking about different things here though. I won't be surprised if opening the window was part of her plan, but I think how she opened it was a mistake.

This.

My thought is that opening the window was the one time when all of Kyoya's attention wasn't on her, so she could have possibly ditched the phone out the window. Realizing that she opened the window without effort does not require the same level of attention as recognizing whether or not she performed some sleight-of-hand at the window.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:33 pm Reply with quote
But that seems like something so obvious that he'd think of it. Then they'd just need to look outside and find it under the widow. oO
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I feel like ditching the phone via the window isn't the greatest idea because all anyone would need to do is find it outside near the window, even if they found it by accident. She'd have to toss it pretty hard, an action that would be easily noticed as opposed to just casually dropping it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12