• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: King's Raid Anime's Blu-ray Disc Release Canceled

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:19 am Reply with quote
I've been quite enjoying it but I guess it's been doing really badly in Japan. Hard break for the "new" studio Sunrise Beyond (Xebec) at their new home.
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:19 am Reply with quote
I mean, it's not that it's a bad show, per se.

It's just that it's one of those shows, like Gibiate, that feel like they're one of those really mediocre anime made in the '90s, and are airing now in 2020 out of some freak timeslip accident. It's one thing when Netflix/etc. supported anime feel like they're made using a checklist assembled by some American dude, titled "Anime Like The Ones I Used To Watch On Adult Swim As A Teen", I can at least understand that, even if I really don't appreciate it or agree with it. But shows like this are just a mystery to me. At least those Netflix shows try to be flashy and good-looking, if nothing else. But these are so aggressively mediocre and boring visually, story-wise, character-wise, I really don't get how anyone thought they'd get any decent number of viewers.
Akemi Tachibana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:22 am Reply with quote
Eventually these people will realize that throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks the longest isn't going to pay the company bills and salary. So start getting creative or plan for bankruptcy as others actually put forth and effort into making something that's actually good.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:45 am Reply with quote
Oh no! Another uninspired anime adaptation of a never heard mobile game is flopping so bad. I bet that the mobile game this one is based off will close 6 months after the anime.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:36 am Reply with quote
Sux to hear but I guess either the preorders were so bad that maybe not even worth doing them or simply delayin to improve the quality for later... Anyway the show is decent but ye as others mentioned the theme of it might be bit outdated so wont attract much people. I hope atleast they made enough money with streaming rights to break even...
MisaoFan
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:48 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Oh no! Another uninspired anime adaptation of a never heard mobile game is flopping so bad. I bet that the mobile game this one is based off will close 6 months after the anime.

The game was first released in September 2016 so four years ago and I'm sure the game will continue running for at least two more years even after the anime flopped.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:10 am Reply with quote
When this happen the show is usually released as a complete boxed set rather than individual discs.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I think the show's actually shaping up to be really good. It's not flashy eye candy like everything else, but the story pacing, characters, and world building are reminiscent of old JRPGs, and I love it. Everything about it is subtle and nuanced, and I am thoroughly impressed that they're even doing this on such a low budget. It is definitely a diamond in the rough that has exceeded my initial expectations, so far.
topgun97

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I think the show's actually shaping up to be really good. It's not flashy eye candy like everything else, but the story pacing, characters, and world building are reminiscent of old JRPGs, and I love it. Everything about it is subtle and nuanced, and I am thoroughly impressed that they're even doing this on such a low budget. It is definitely a diamond in the rough that has exceeded my initial expectations, so far.

How do you know there doing this on a low budget? Is it because of the animation? Usually 24 episode anime tend to become sloppy halfway through because the studio has to spread the budget for each episode.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:14 pm Reply with quote
From what I've seen in the episodes that have aired, the animation doesn't appear all that intricate. And the art is decent enough, but seems to be so in spurts, as the overall picture has a relatively soft look to it (certain backgrounds are really good, though). It could be intentional, as I've never played the games. Or maybe they really are just trying to keep it more simplistic.

But if they're cancelling the individual Blu-rays to cut costs, then they must really need the money. I don't know how or if distribution and production come from the same budget, but if that is case, then the diverting of resources is self-explanatory.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:28 pm Reply with quote
It's not a bad show but it really doesn't stand out very much. I can see why they decided not to release it on bluray-maybe dvd?
Seagloom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:48 am Reply with quote
The one thing I can't get over with this show is how washed out all the colors are. The visuals would look so much better if they were a touch more vibrant.

Other than that, I'm more or less with Tony K. in that the appeal of King's Raid is in how old school it is. It reminds me of something like Dragon Force or the older Shining games. It doesn't do anything new or execute on old tropes particularly well in most episodes, but watching it feels very nostalgic.

Because that sort of story will be unappealing to many modern viewers, this announcement does not surprise me in the slightest.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:24 am Reply with quote
Seagloom wrote:
Because that sort of story will be unappealing to many modern viewers, this announcement does not surprise me in the slightest.

And many old viewers as well. I may be in the minority but I'm getting really sick of shows trying to coast by on nostalgia value.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:42 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
And many old viewers as well. I may be in the minority but I'm getting really sick of shows trying to coast by on nostalgia value.

I wouldn't say you are in the minority. While nostalgia is what makes this show appealing to me, it doesn't change the fact it has a cliché plot and characters. These days the average person expects more nuance out of their entertainment.

I do not see King's Raid coasting on nostalgia so much as nostalgia being the reason some might forgive its dated approach to fantasy.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:27 pm Reply with quote
The ideas are fine, the pacing is not. Three episodes on the zombie fetch quest had me realize "we're at episode 9 and we're still not at the third story event yet."

It's a non Isekai fantasy story with a classic fighter mage thief cleric set up so I'm hard pressed not to like it yet the show is trying its best. Also it's funny I can see how the dark elves fit into the story but still not why yet.

On other hand, episode 9 also made me think when watching Clio in bed: "Is this fanservice or just calesthetics?" so the show may be trying things in the wrong direction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2