• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuzu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Gonna have to echo the sentiment of the final scene feeling like a cop out; I understand the significance of the scene after reading about it, and its extremely well done. But in a vacuum, as a storytelling piece, it's such blatant emotional manipulation. Stories rely on it all of the time, but some are better at making it feel organic than others. Giving Weine this emotional death scene, and then not even thirty seconds later Fels is reviving her. I feel like the scene would have worked way better if the episode ended on that cliffhanger, or just lingered a bit more before the resurrection just to let it sink in.

Also, anyone feel like Gros was animated extremely weird in this episode? Especially when he killed Dix's subordinate, where it just feels like the animators slide show'd him for the kill. That was so random, it made me laugh.

Beyond those though, it was a solid episode. I don't even mind Dix getting unceremoniously killed off, because he quite frankly does not deserve a drawn out death scene, kill the bastard and keep it moving. Ai's versus Asterius was pretty dope,epecially since it's the first opponent she's actually kind of struggled against.

I've been told that Bell will suffer consequences for his actions, so I'm waiting to see what happens. Sometimes it sucks being the good guy, because then you have to make decisions that aren't necessarily "right" and will put you against everyone else, but those are indeed traits that make Bell unique and he shouldn't get rid of them, but I hope he's really to deal with the consequences, whatever they may be.
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:33 pm Reply with quote
This is the episode that had the most changes done to it. The scene with Syr couldn't be helped cos the spoiler[orphans] was never introduced in the anime. And the added scene with Hermes too. Why explain something if they were just going to show it anyway. It would have been better to exchange Hermes' scene in the manor with Finn meeting Bell in the alley where Hermes also shows up. Would have been a nice way to display Finn's cunning and intellect.

Kuzu wrote:
Ai's versus Asterius was pretty dope,epecially since it's the first opponent she's actually kind of struggled against.

If you watched Sword Oratoria (the events of which take place months before the Xenos arc) then you would see Ais fighting opponents that would make Asterius a warm-up by comparison.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:20 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:

If you watched Sword Oratoria (the events of which take place months before the Xenos arc) then you would see Ais fighting opponents that would make Asterius a warm-up by comparison.

Except Asterius is stronger than Ais - untrained level 7 vs trained level 6 - but Danmachi does play it loose when it comes to the plot vs it's power settings.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
GhostD wrote:

Except Asterius is stronger than Ais - untrained level 7 vs trained level 6 - but Danmachi does play it loose when it comes to the plot vs it's power settings.

I never said he wasn't though. I compared him to the opponents Ais fought in SO not Ais herself but Id say he's superior to Ais in terms of raw power and defense but definitely not speed and skill.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:07 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:

I never said he wasn't though. I compared him to the opponents Ais fought in SO not Ais herself but Id say he's superior to Ais in terms of raw power and defense but definitely not speed and skill.

As I said Danmachi (the DanMachi universe) plays it loose at times with it's power settings.

Ais cut off Asterius's arm in a surprise attack,and even one-armed he was overpowering her. It took six of the seven level 6 members of the Loki Familia to force the issue with Asterius.

But then you've Ais soloing a floor boss to gain level 6,and her other exploits in Sword Oratoria.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:17 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
GhostD wrote:

As I said Danmachi (the DanMachi universe) plays it loose at times with it's power settings.

Ais cut off Asterius's arm in a surprise attack,and even one-armed he was overpowering her. It took six of the seven level 6 members of the Loki Familia to force the issue with Asterius.

But then you've Ais soloing a floor boss to gain level 6,and her other exploits in Sword Oratoria.

I think Omori cares little about the power scaling details anyway but Ais accomplishing many of her feats comes down to 1 big factor: her Ariel magic which is ridiculously OP that even the other Loki Familia elites say it's abnormal. That and a passive ability that improves her stats when fighting monsters she's fought before which Asterius qualifies as being a minotaur.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:44 am Reply with quote
Someone please fire the director! These rushed episodes that rely on the Game App for a good chunk oh the story is a epic fail! I mean I read the light novels and the spin off novel and think the director is using a App that’s been losing players due to its high number of cheats. The director needs to slow down! Not rely on the game app!
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
Someone please fire the director! These rushed episodes that rely on the Game App for a good chunk oh the story is a epic fail! I mean I read the light novels and the spin off novel and think the director is using a App that’s been losing players due to its high number of cheats. The director needs to slow down! Not rely on the game app!

I have to say I'm also not a fan of them putting stuff they skipped from the anime (like 80% of vol 8) in the game and they even go out of their way to have those stories voiced. If not for dedicated youtube channels showing the original stories (especially those that are canon) as well as the stuff they skipped over I would have missed out on so much as the game isn't available to me.

Quote:
You shouldn't ever have to choose between doing what's right and doing what's easy

I was reminded of Dumbledore's words from Goblet of Fire

Quote:
Hephaistos, Dian Cecht, and Takemikazuki aware but unsure of what, if anything, they're willing to do

That was Miach not Dian Cecht. We've never seen him in the anime
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:

What was so badly rushed about this last episode? Sure, it did not cover every little detail, but I felt it got the main story beats across plenty well enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:27 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:

And I'd been doing so well! Embarassed Laughing Um, at least Dian Cecht is Miach's son in Irish mythology, so I got the right family?
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
GhostD wrote:

And I'd been doing so well! Embarassed Laughing Um, at least Dian Cecht is Miach's son in Irish mythology, so I got the right family?

I'll give you that
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
GhostD wrote:

Other way around actually, Miach is Dian Cecht's son.

Dian Cecht is actually a character as well in Orario, and has an interesting relationship with Miach. Most of it is told in the side content tho. Ahmid from Sword Oratoria belongs to Dian Cecht familia.

That said, thanks for the info about Finn this episode! I didn't know all that, and I really appreciate how Omoori works in mythology from all around the world into the story.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Amuro1X wrote:

Other way around actually, Miach is Dian Cecht's son.

I am batting zero today! Confused

Quote:
That said, thanks for the info about Finn this episode! I didn't know all that, and I really appreciate how Omoori works in mythology from all around the world into the story.

You're welcome! That's something I really appreciate about the franchise too, and Fionn is one of my favorites from that mythology. (I'm fond of his wife Oonaugh, too.)
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:40 pm Reply with quote
^
I knew about Fionn, but didn't know that the mythological version had a thumb thing going on as well. One thing you didn't mention, Rebecca, is that Fionn (like many Celtic heroes) was a spear-user (or at least seems to commonly be shown in art using a spear), so Finn in DanMachi using spears has a mythological reference as well as being practical for his size.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

You're welcome! That's something I really appreciate about the franchise too, and Fionn is one of my favorites from that mythology. (I'm fond of his wife Oonaugh, too.)

Oh, interesting. I'll have to look her up for possible clues on where Omori is going with Finn's character since part of what we know about him is that he's looking for Pallum wife to sire an heir that will restore his people's prosperity.

Also, I wrote somewhere else about how Bell and Finn contrast I'm their pursuit of becoming a "hero." Where Bell is idealistic and wants to be a hero because of his childhood obsession with them and struggles with defining his own sense of right and wrong, Finn only cares about being a hero in the eyes of the people for his own political machinations. Finn is brilliant and, despite his looks, is no naive child so even if he can intuit that the Xenos are intelligent, he won't go against the grain of the populist opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 13