• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Capsizes Titanic to Become #2 All-Time Film in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:35 pm Reply with quote
GO GO GO!! I am living for this Demon Slayer domination for completely petty personal reasons, and also as someone who had been reading the manga for a few years I'm just very happy it absolutely took off like a rocket.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Would love to see it hit #1.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:27 am Reply with quote
At this point it's only a matter of time for Demon Slayer to topple Spirited Away to make it to number one.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:57 am Reply with quote
Considering the unique circumstances that led to its rise, I wonder how long it'll take to be topped. And if another Demon Slayer film (if they go that route) will perform as well, even if it does have the boost of working off of this.

Also, these articles are serving as a regular reminder for me that the film Dolittle exists, and that it came out this year. I would've guessed like, 2018, 2017...
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:16 am Reply with quote
I really hope Ufotable will split the movie into the first 5 or so episodes of the eventual season 2, as we all know Aniplex's terrible distribution of movies (home video exclusive, no video on demand/streaming, etc) after theaters in NA. Also would help it get on Toonami since they don't seem to do movies anymore.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:52 am Reply with quote
Not a fan of Demon Slayer, but it's fun seeing records being broken Very Happy Hope it hits #1
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:27 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Considering the unique circumstances that led to its rise, I wonder how long it'll take to be topped. And if another Demon Slayer film (if they go that route) will perform as well, even if it does have the boost of working off of this.
Even if there wasn't a pandemic, Demon Slayer has still been huge and breaking all kinds of records in Japan for long while now, so the movie still probably would have topped most everything else that was planned to come out this year. I doubt even Disney or any of the superhero movies that were originally planned to come out would have been able to stop Demon Slayer. Like the biggest thing Disney had going for them this year was Black Widow, Onward and Mulan and I can't imagine those would have done better than Demon Slayer has, unless Black Widow was super amazing or something.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:42 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:

Chances are it'll never happen. It took decades for Chihiro to be taken from the first spot and with Japan's current trend of population decline there might not ever be anything with enough strength to topple Kimetsu no Yaiba. This, right now, is likely as big as anything can get.
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:46 am Reply with quote
"Demon Slayer capsizes Titanic.." I see what you did there Very Happy . Now I'm thinking about all the bad puns I could make if it overtakes Spirited Away
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:40 am Reply with quote
Abraham Omosun wrote:
"Demon Slayer capsizes Titanic.." I see what you did there Very Happy . Now I'm thinking about all the bad puns I could make if it overtakes Spirited Away

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Spirits Spirited Away Away to Become #1 All-Time Film in Japan. You can't get any lamer than that.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:47 pm Reply with quote
If by next year, western nations are still hellbent on locking themselves into suicidal destruction with all their content going to streaming to make back the investment on borrowed money they never had, then I imagine that Khara is eager to see how well Evangelion 3+1 will perform. Demon Slayer likely has far more going for it as the current big thing, so it'll be interesting to see how Eva will do.

That said, I feel like whoever's in charge of Western distribution of DemonSlayer should seize the chance to put the film out at desperate theaters where it could stand to do at least 'Your Name' money. I was talking to some relatives who normally don't really watch anime unless I make them, and even they loved Demon Slayer having checked it out on Netflix for some reason...
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:31 pm Reply with quote
There's a pretty decent chance of Demon Slayer beating Spirited Away's record, I don't know if Japan's movie ticket prices have change significantly in the last 20 years but this is still impressive.
I just recently watched the first season of the anime and I enjoyed it a lot, can't wait for the movie to be released where I live, there's a bigger chance of the movie being licensed here than the series.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:26 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Abraham Omosun wrote:

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Spirits Spirited Away Away to Become #1 All-Time Film in Japan. You can't get any lamer than that.

Something like "Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Exorcises Spirited Away to Become the #1 All-Time Film in Japan" might work.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:25 am Reply with quote
Wow. This is incredible.

To dethrone Spirited Away as the No. 1 of all time at the Japanese box office would be a fantastic achievement.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:22 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
There's a pretty decent chance of Demon Slayer beating Spirited Away's record, I don't know if Japan's movie ticket prices have change significantly in the last 20 years but this is still impressive.
I just recently watched the first season of the anime and I enjoyed it a lot, can't wait for the movie to be released where I live, there's a bigger chance of the movie being licensed here than the series.

Ticket prices hasn't changed and there has been very little inflation in Japan for the last two decades. It's also guaranteed that Kimetsu no Yaiba will surpass Chihiro as it now stands at 27,8 billion yen and is still making more than a 100 million yen in its weakest days. It's last weekend (it's eighth) was above a billion yen. If the trend remains, it'll be at about 28,5 billion yen by Friday and should reach about 29,3 billion yen by the sunday. By the week after that, it'll have surpassed Chihiro to become the highest box office in japanese story, a position that will likely never be taken from it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2