• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The New York Times Names Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! One of 2020's Best Shows

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:43 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
That's not always a good thing, though. Look at the situation ChibiGoku brought up. The Eizouken mangaka was harassed and attacked by English twitter users awhile back when they found out they followed some erotic artists on Pixiv. It's not seen as a big issue in Japan since R-18 artists crossover with general works quite often, but here in America western artists have been cancelled for such incidents.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend that Western media discourse about comics isn't super reactionary, but there are plenty of Western comic artists who within less than a year of being "cancelled" were doing better than ever (such as Nathan Pyle, who went from "cancelled" to "#1 New York Times bestselling author of heartwarming graphic novels" in a matter of months). Despite all our discussions about Sumito Ōwara, his career is clearly doing fine. Compare that to your average Japanese musician whose career is utterly ruined if they're found taking drugs, or the stuff that happened to Minami Minegishi or Aya Hirano because of their dating or sex lives. Japanese artists get "cancelled", just for different stuff.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:42 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
Man, I sure do love a guy who created the series originally who uses photo-realistic nude drawings of little children as "reference", getting recognition and an article posted about him without bringing up that.

Masaaki Yuasa is the director of the anime and the only person getting recognition in this article. The original creator of the manga wasn't even mentioned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rentwo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:09 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I'm not going to sit here and pretend that Western media discourse about comics isn't super reactionary, but there are plenty of Western comic artists who within less than a year of being "cancelled" were doing better than ever (such as Nathan Pyle, who went from "cancelled" to "#1 New York Times bestselling author of heartwarming graphic novels" in a matter of months)

To be fair, the only people who got upset at finding out Pyle was Christian family man with Christian beliefs were the Very Online crowd.. The average person doesn't care if someone is a man of faith, and the average person is definitely not going to compare that to something like the sexualization of minors which is pretty much universally looked down upon these days here.

octopodpie wrote:
Masaaki Yuasa is the director of the anime and the only person getting recognition in this article. The original creator of the manga wasn't even mentioned.

They did credit Sally Rooney as the original author of Normal People rather than the two directors of the miniseries, so it could either be a mistake on their part or perhaps an intentional omission.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I was talking specifically about ANN's article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lostrune

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:11 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
Don't really need Western outlets weighing in.

While I generally agree what western outlets think towards anime is pretty irrelevant, a lot of people do like to hear approval from them because it makes them feel like their hobby has been validated if it's accepted by mainstream American outlets and critics. It's an individual value thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2